[net.jobs] Job in Austin, Texas

fritz@utastro.UUCP (05/02/83)

Relay-Version:version B 2.10 delta 4/26/83; site burl.UUCP
Path:burl!spanky!hocda!houxz!houxm!mhuxa!mhuxj!mhuxt!eagle!harpo!seismo!hao!cires!nbires!ut-ngp!utastro!fritz
Date:Mon, 2-May-83 12:02:35 EDT

		POSITION AVAILABLE    1 June 1983

Location:  	Austin, Texas
		University of Texas (an Equal Opportunity Employer...)
		McDonald Observatory
Title:		Programmer Analyst I

The Department of Astronomy and McDonald Observatory have a VAX-11/780
running UNIX 4.1bsd. The system supports over a hundred users
doing astronomical data reduction analysis and word processing.
Peripherals include many disk and tape drives,
pen plotter, graphics terminals, and image display stations.

I am looking for some help! Specific tasks over the next year include:

1) upgrade from 4.1bsd to 4.2bsd (when it becomes available).
2) establish an Ethernet LAN initially consisting of the VAX, a SUN 150,
   a SUN 100, and a Multibus 8086/12 running a high-speed microdensitometer.
   Future expansion may include several DG Nova systems and a link to
   the University Ethernet system.
3) support image analysis and data processing on the network. We hack away
   at the operating system to make this as good an environment as possible
   within which to do Astronomy.
4) help me with the technical management of the net, once established.

The job is a permanent McDonald Observatory Staff position, not dependent
on government contracts. We work in Austin, but may have
opportunities to travel to the Observatory in West Texas, as the
technology we prove effective migrates out there.

This is an evolving, growing system that will provide a fine opportunity for
someone interested in applying state-of-the-art computing techniques to
astronomical problems.

Knowledge of UNIX and C required.
Some experience with Ethernet, Graphics,and Workstations desirable,
but not essential. We can figure this stuff out together.

Salary:		Call and find out! (Austin is such a great place to live,
		the University a fine environment, and we will have lots of
		fun tying all this stuff together!)

Contact:	Dr. Fritz Benedict
		McDonald Observatory
		University of Texas
		Austin, TX

		Phone:(512)471-4461x448

		usenet:  ....!hao!cires!nbires!ut-ngp!utastro!fritz
		ARPA:    fritz@utexas-11