[comp.protocols.appletalk] Help on MacTCP and Ethernet card

an12280@mdaali.cancer.utexas.edu (David Gutierrez) (06/30/90)

(This is the second attempt to post this message. If they both worked, my apologies for the duplicate posting.)

I just installed a Racal Interlan Ethernet card in a Mac II which has
MacTCP installed on it.  The card works fine for EtherTalk applications (Public Folder, printer  access, AppleShare, etc.) but there is a problem with TCP/IP applications.

We are unable to access any nodes outside our Class B subnet, i.e., NCSA
Telnet works to any local UNIX hosts but not to any outside our Class B
subnet and HyperFTP is unable to find addresses.

When we try to look up the address of an Internet node, we get an infinite
wait from the MicroVax that is our domain name server. If we specify an IP
address for a Telnet session, we get a message saying "No response from
xx.xx.xx.xx".

All of these applications worked when the user was on LocalTalk, going
through a FastPath. What do I need to change in the user's MacTCP
configuration to make it work?

David Gutierrez
an12280@mdaali.cancer.utexas.edu

"Only fools are positive." - Moe Howard

an12280@mdaali.cancer.utexas.edu (David Gutierrez) (07/03/90)

In article <4014@lib.tmc.edu> an12280@mdaali.cancer.utexas.edu (me) writes:
> We are unable to access any nodes outside our Class B subnet, i.e., NCSA
> Telnet works to any local UNIX hosts but not to any outside our Class B
> subnet and HyperFTP is unable to find addresses.

We found the problem. Since our original installation of MacTCP, our
computer center changed our router from a MicroVax to a cisco router and
didn't tell anyone. Changing the appropriate info in AdminTCP fixed things
right away. Thanks to Joe Simpson for his reply on the problem, which was
right on the money.

David Gutierrez