[comp.protocols.appletalk] DECNet from a Mac

brian@natinst.com (Brian H. Powell) (07/03/90)

     We're investigating ways of making a particular Mac software package of
ours talk on various networks.  We have a pretty good grasp of what we can
do with AppleTalk and TCP/IP, but our customers seem to want more.
     In particular, a lot of them want to use DECNet protocols.

     What's available for this?  A DECNet driver that used the EtherTalk
board would be ideal, but we're interested in all solutions.

     Please mail responses; I'll summarize if there's enough interest.
Thanks in advance.

Brian H. Powell, M/S 56-14			National Instruments Corp.
	brian@natinst.com			6504 Bridge Point Parkway
	uunet!cs.utexas.edu!natinst!brian	Austin, Texas 78730-5039
	AppleLink:NATINST			(512) 338-9119

minshall@kinetics.com (Greg Minshall) (07/04/90)

In article <11908@natinst.natinst.com> brian@natinst.com (Brian H. Powell) writes:
>     In particular, a lot of them want to use DECNet protocols.
>
>     What's available for this?  A DECNet driver that used the EtherTalk
>board would be ideal, but we're interested in all solutions.

You might want to look at TSSnet, which provides DECnet support for
Macintoshes.  It's available (I think) from Alisa Systems, at 1-818-792-9474
(in Pasadena, CA).

Greg Minshall			Novell, Inc.
minshall@kinetics.com		1-415-975-4507

ianh@bhpmrl.oz.au (Ian Hoyle) (07/05/90)

minshall@kinetics.com (Greg Minshall) writes:

>In article <11908@natinst.natinst.com> brian@natinst.com (Brian H. Powell) writes:
>>     In particular, a lot of them want to use DECNet protocols.
>>
>>     What's available for this?  A DECNet driver that used the EtherTalk
>>board would be ideal, but we're interested in all solutions.

>You might want to look at TSSnet, which provides DECnet support for
>Macintoshes.  It's available (I think) from Alisa Systems, at 1-818-792-9474
>(in Pasadena, CA).

DEC's new LANworks for the Macintosh product also has DECnet support (for email,
MacX etc). I believe it is actually a 'rebadged' TSSnet sold by DEC.

				ian
--
                Ian Hoyle
     /\/\       Image Processing & Data Analysis Group

billkatt@mondo.engin.umich.edu (billkatt) (07/05/90)

In article <ianh.647189589@morgana> ianh@bhpmrl.oz.au (Ian Hoyle) writes:
>minshall@kinetics.com (Greg Minshall) writes:
>
>>You might want to look at TSSnet, which provides DECnet support for
>>Macintoshes.  It's available (I think) from Alisa Systems, at 1-818-792-9474
>>(in Pasadena, CA).
>
>DEC's new LANworks for the Macintosh product also has DECnet support (for email,
>MacX etc). I believe it is actually a 'rebadged' TSSnet sold by DEC.

I don't know about email, but MacX communicates with DECnet machines with
ADSP (AppleTalk), not DECnet.  So, it might not be TSSnet.

Steve Bollinger                                                    ____/|
909 Church St. Apt C                                               \ o.O|
Ann Arbor, Mi. 48104                                                =(_)=
(313)-662-4073 -home (313)-763-3070 -work                             U
billkatt@mondo.engin.umich.edu                              -ACK ACK ACK ACK!
                                                              "thhhhppppttt!"