[comp.protocols.appletalk] PopMail+GatorBox+MacTCP

pkc@scs.carleton.ca (Peter Choynowski) (06/29/90)

	I am looking for some help in getting Hypercard based PopMail system to
work over a GatorBox.  I am using version 1.5 of PopMail from the University
of Minnesota, and have been able to make it go with a KFP.  I have tried a
number of combinations on MacTcp ( v1.0.1 ), to make it work with the GatorBox,
but not such luck.  If any one has been able to make it go, or knows of
another good PD mail system, I would love to hear from them. Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Peter
pkc@scs.carleton.ca

dorner@pequod.cso.uiuc.edu (Steve Dorner) (07/04/90)

It post this with a certain amount of trepidation.

There is a standalone (you don't have to run HyperCard) Macintosh POP3
client available for FREE (you don't have to sign any silly agreement,
nor pay any fee) from UIUC.

Anonymous ftp to ux1.cso.uiuc.edu, and look in the mac/eudora subdirectory.
The manual is provided in PostScript form; you'll need SendPS (or equivalent).

If you can't use ftp, send ~1MB worth of floppy* and a SASE to:

    Steve Dorner
    UIUC Computing Services Office
    1412B DCL, MC 256
    1304 W. Springfield
    Urbana, IL 61801

*Most of that 1MB is the manual; Eudora itself is only 156K.

You can find a suitable POP3 server (popper) by anon ftp to lilac.berkeley.edu.

Eudora presently works with MacTCP (a serial version may be forthcoming).

Send comments/suggestions to me; I wrote it.  Flames you can send to the
same place you sent the check to pay for it; /dev/null.

Internet: s-dorner@uiuc.edu  UUCP: {convex,uunet}!uiucuxc!dorner

dorner@pequod.cso.uiuc.edu (Steve Dorner) (07/07/90)

I wrote:
>There is a standalone (you don't have to run HyperCard) Macintosh POP3
>client available for FREE (you don't have to sign any silly agreement,
>nor pay any fee) from UIUC.

>You can find a suitable POP3 server (popper) by anon ftp to
>lilac.berkeley.edu.

Our POP3 client works with ***version 1.6*** of popper, and does not work
with 1.7b2.

I am trying to convince the folks at Berkeley that the change they made was
an error.  I will also see to it that future versions of Eudora will tolerate
this particular error.

Sorry for the confusion.

Internet: s-dorner@uiuc.edu  UUCP: {convex,uunet}!uiucuxc!dorner