[comp.protocols.appletalk] UAB on Sequent Symmetry

perl@pbseps.PacBell.COM (Richard Perlman) (06/30/90)

We are trying to get UAB up on a Sequent Symmetry.  The uab+ code
is specificaly written for the Suns and Ultrix ethernet interface
(dlip.c or snitp.c).  Has someone ported this to DYNIX (3.0.17) or
know how?

Related... In a reply to a previous posting I was told that we
might be able to use the "built-in" AppleTalk support in DYNIX
_in place of_ UAB.  If anyone has done this please let me know
how you linked in with CAP.

--
   "The universe is not only queerer than we imagine,
    but it is queerer than we can imagine."  J.B.S. Haldane

liam@cs.qmw.ac.uk (William Roberts) (07/07/90)

In <1990Jun29.225950.12752@PacBell.COM> perl@pbseps.PacBell.COM (Richard Perlman) writes:

>We are trying to get UAB up on a Sequent Symmetry.  The uab+ code
>is specificaly written for the Suns and Ultrix ethernet interface
>(dlip.c or snitp.c).  Has someone ported this to DYNIX (3.0.17) or
>know how?

Since DYNIX offers no suitable form of Ethernet tapping
interface (as far as I know, but then I only have a Balance :-(
and no one cares about them any more) you are stuck.

>Related... In a reply to a previous posting I was told that we
>might be able to use the "built-in" AppleTalk support in DYNIX
>_in place of_ UAB.  If anyone has done this please let me know
>how you linked in with CAP.

I tried this, but the built-in AppleTalk was such crap that it
is no use at all. It only handles short form DDP headers,
can't recognise AppleTalk broadcast addresses as such, doesn't
care about bridge addresses, doesn't handle AARP but instead
sends out IP ARP requests for AppleTalk addresses.... the list
of inanities is very long.

I think I shamed Sequent into agreeing to do something about
this someday, but since the Balance is a dead machine I'm never
going to see it. Try waving this message at someone technical
over in Beaverton and see if you can get some up-to-date facts
for us all...
--

William Roberts                 ARPA: liam@cs.qmw.ac.uk
Queen Mary & Westfield College  UUCP: liam@qmw-cs.UUCP