[comp.protocols.appletalk] CAP and SunOS4.1

matter@milton.u.washington.edu (Matthew Trunnell) (07/03/90)

			Sorry.

		sed -e s/BSD/SunOS/g

The question remains, though.  Has anyone had any problems with CAP under
SunOS 4.1?

Thanks.

matter

(matter@ocean.washington.edu)

sproule@idunno.Princeton.EDU (William J. Jr. Sproule) (07/04/90)

In article <4699@milton.u.washington.edu> matter@milton.u.washington.edu (Matthew Trunnell) writes:

>			Sorry.
>
>		sed -e s/BSD/SunOS/g
>
>The question remains, though.  Has anyone had any problems with CAP under
>SunOS 4.1?
>
>Thanks.
>
>matter
>
>(matter@ocean.washington.edu)

we have tried this, and had problems with nfs. when running aufs and
mounting a local disk, aufs run fine.  when running aufs and the mount
was a nfs disk mounted from another 4.1 machine, aufs run fine.  however,
when mounting a disk that what nfs mounted from a sun running 4.0.3, or
another 4.3 BSD machine (next floptical) we had problems with
filelocking.  the lockd got very confused on the sun, and usually had
to be killed and restarted.  running trace revealed that aufs was
spending all it's time in the lock.  i did not try running without
locking, but that's next.

-b

leadley@troi.cc.rochester.edu (Scott Leadley) (07/07/90)

In article <1025@idunno.Princeton.EDU> sproule@idunno.Princeton.EDU (William J.  Jr. Sproule) writes:
>we have tried this, and had problems with nfs. when running aufs and
>mounting a local disk, aufs run fine.  when running aufs and the mount
>was a nfs disk mounted from another 4.1 machine, aufs run fine.  however,
>when mounting a disk that what nfs mounted from a sun running 4.0.3, or
>another 4.3 BSD machine (next floptical) we had problems with
>filelocking.  the lockd got very confused on the sun, and usually had
>to be killed and restarted.  ...

	Yup.  We had this problem (of lockd getting very confused) too.  Call
Sun and get the patched versions of rpc.lockd and rpc.statd for SunOS 4.0.3.
I believe based on their behavior that the SunOS 4.1 versions of rpc.lockd and
rpc.statd have fixed the problem also.
--
					Scott Leadley - leadley@cc.rochester.edu