[comp.protocols.appletalk] Mac TCP/IP Packages

jeff@ndcheg.cheg.nd.edu (Jeffrey C. Kantor) (06/21/90)

In article <1703@ns-mx.uiowa.edu> jrblack@shemtaia.weeg.uiowa.edu (James
Roger Black) writes:
> We are looking to standardize on a single Mac TCP/IP package (Telnet,
FTP,
> etc.) for the University of Iowa.  So far we have been able to uncover
only
> four alternatives:
>
>  (1) NCSA Telnet in its various incarnations, which is what we're using
now.
>  (2) TCP/Connect, a commercial NCSA derivative from Intercon.
>  (3) SuMac/IP from Stanford.
>  (4) MacPathway Access, a hypercard-based commercial package from
Wollongong.

> Have we missed any major contenders?  Does anybody have any war stories,
> evaluations, or relative rankings they'd like to share?

------
>  Roger Black
jrblack@shemtaia.weeg.uiowa.

Others have mentioned various Telnet incarnations with and without ftp.
But don't forget to include in the toolset things like Hypercard based ftp
(HyperFTP), popmail frontends (various contenders), and Hypercard based
netnews readers (From apple and Intercon).

Tools like these can satisfy the needs of certain classes of users quite
effectively.

Jeff Kantor
Notre Dame

kdb@macaw.intercon.com (Kurt Baumann) (07/10/90)

In article <254@composer.helios.nd.edu>, jeff@ndcheg.cheg.nd.edu (Jeffrey C.
Kantor) writes:
>  and Hypercard based
> netnews readers (From apple and Intercon).
>
> Tools like these can satisfy the needs of certain classes of users quite
> effectively.
>
> Jeff Kantor
> Notre Dame

Thanks for the plug.  But our NNTP reader is not done in HyperCard.  It is
a module of TCP/Connect II. (Telnet (vt241, tek 4014, IBM 3278), FTP client/server,
SNMP agent, NNTP reader, SMTP/POP, SLIP, etc.) All of which is done in C
as a standalone application.  Hope that helps.

There are more and more HyperCard based network frobs coming out.

I believe that all of the actual applications were covered earlier, but there
seems to be a new HyperCard stack coming out everyday that does something
networkish.
--
InterCon Systems Corporation
703.709.9890