[comp.protocols.appletalk] CAP & sunos

cb1p+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU (Chris Beasley) (07/10/90)

Hello, I'm sort of new to this newsgroup and to CAP but I have been volunteered
to maintain our macs and suns running system 6.0.4 on the macs and sunos 4.0.1 on the suns.  We have some trouble with CAP every now and again where it doesn't
maintain the look of windows when you close them:  you view by name and open
the window again and it's back to view by icon.  Even if you are the owner
of the files and the folder.  Even if you are root.  Other things are strange
when one of our users stores files on the server and then modifies them with
an application, he ends up with corrupted files.  If he copies the files to his
mac, works on them and then copies them back it works ok.
Someone suggested that I don't have all the patches to cap installed.
What patches are available and what do they do?
I have more questions but they will have to wait to the next post.
Thanks in  advance!
Chris
louie!beez@sunpitt.east.sun.com

edmoy@violet.berkeley.edu (07/11/90)

In article <kaaAJVq00WB7IDtVY8@andrew.cmu.edu> cb1p+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU (Chris Beasley) writes:

>Hello, I'm sort of new to this newsgroup and to CAP but I have been volunteered
>to maintain our macs and suns running system 6.0.4 on the macs and sunos 4.0.1 on the suns.  We have some trouble with CAP every now and again where it doesn't
>maintain the look of windows when you close them:  you view by name and open
>the window again and it's back to view by icon.  Even if you are the owner
>of the files and the folder.  Even if you are root.  Other things are strange
>when one of our users stores files on the server and then modifies them with
>an application, he ends up with corrupted files.  If he copies the files to his
>mac, works on them and then copies them back it works ok.
>Someone suggested that I don't have all the patches to cap installed.
>What patches are available and what do they do?
>I have more questions but they will have to wait to the next post.
>Thanks in  advance!
>Chris
>louie!beez@sunpitt.east.sun.com

The problem is that you need .finderinfo and .resource directories in
the level one above the level of the window that you want to keep view info.
So if you home directory is /usr/users/xyzzy, you need .finderinfo and
.resource in /usr/users, and they have to be writable by everyone.

Edward Moy				Principal Programmer - Macintosh & Unix
Workstation Support Services		Workstation Software Support Group
University of California
Berkeley, CA  94720

edmoy@violet.Berkeley.EDU
ucbvax!violet!edmoy