[comp.protocols.appletalk] a beginner's question on appletalk/ethertalk

savage@gauss.llnl.gov (Joe Savage) (07/12/90)

This is a posting by a new reader of this group. We`re trying to implement an
Appletalk-to-Ethertalk converter for BSD 4.3 Unix. The idea is to eventually
allow users of remote macs to dial in to the Vax running Unix and have access
to the servers of their zones at work on the lab internet. We're grappling
right now with the problem of what to do on the Vax. I gather that we want to
emit Ethertalk packets on the Ethernet side and Appletalk ones on the modem
side, and accept them appropriately. The problem is we're both new to network-
ing and can't seem to dig out the important nuggets from among the volumes of
reading we've been doing. Our questions are (1) Are we reinventing anything
that already exists that we could just grab and/or modify? Is there any
general advice we should know in doing what we're trying to do? What exactly
is the difference between appletalk and ethertalk packets?

This probably isn't even a sensible set of questions, but any answers would`
be most welcome.

Joe Savage (savage@gauss.llnl.gov)

wcc@cup.portal.com (wcc - usa) (07/14/90)

Joe Savage (savage@gauss.llnl.gov) writes:
> We`re trying to implement an
> Appletalk-to-Ethertalk converter for BSD 4.3 Unix.

Terminology problem. "AppleTalk" is the protocol suite. "EtherTalk" is
the "Data-link-level" part of the suite.

>  The idea is to eventually
> allow users of remote macs to dial in to the Vax running Unix and have access
> to the servers of their zones at work on the lab internet.

The hard part will be writing the low-level drivers to get the VAX to emit
the EtherTalk packets. Currently it "talks" TCP/IP and possible some
"DECNET" protocols.

A package solution exists, but you have to buy a MultiGate to get it. This
allows users to dial into the VAX running Unix and to access the AppleTalk
network (and devices and services) from the dialled-in Macs.

Tom Evans
wcc@cup.portal.com
Webster Computer Corporation
Suite J, 2109 O'Toole Ave. San Jose, California 95131-1303
Ph (408) 954-8054  FAX (408) 954-1832