[comp.protocols.appletalk] Wide-area AppleTalk--a problem and an idea

ccc_ldo@waikato.ac.nz (Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Waikato University) (07/12/90)

I don't know if this issue has come up before, but here goes...

A suggestion was made to me recently (only half-serious so far) about
doing wide-area AppleTalk routing between our varsity and others
in New Zealand. As the campus administrator of AppleTalk nets,
my immediate response was "no way!". I was thinking of all the
hassles that everybody would have to go through to work out
allocations of the AppleTalk network numbering space, and the
amount of reconfiguring of existing AppleTalk routers (Multigates,
FastPaths etc) that would probably be necessary to implement this.

It seems to me a solution is possible, by adding suitable
software to the wide-area AppleTalk routers, to do "network number
aliasing".

What this means is that, on my site, I allocate a chunk of
network numbers, say 49152 to 65279, which I haven't used for my
local nets. The AppleTalk router connecting my site to the rest
of the world then maps any network numbers it sees on the other
side into this range. The same sort of thing happens at other
sites.

Naturally this reserved range must be reconfigurable, depending
on how I've been allocating the network numbers locally, and
on how many nets I expect to see "out there".

Perhaps an example will make things clearer.

Consider sites A and B, each of which has numbered their AppleTalk
nets starting from 1. Say site A has networks numbered 1, 2 and 3,
and similarly for site B. No way you can connect a standard
AppleTalk router directly between these two sites, right?

Supposing each site has a "wide-area" router connecting it
to the rest of the world. The one connecting site A will
tell the rest of the world about nets 1, 2 and 3, and their
zone names, and similarly the one at site B. The information
that each router *receives* from the rest of the world, however,
gets remapped into the reserved range.

Supposing the nets 1, 2 and 3 at site B get mapped into
49152, 49153 and 49154 by A's router. A network application on
a machine on net 1 at A tries to talk to a node on net 49153;
at the DDP level, the data gets passed to A's wide-area router,
which remaps the net number 49153 to 2 and passes it to B's
router, which correspondingly remaps the source net number from
1 to 49152 (or whatever the reserved range is that has been
chosen by B's administrator), and then passes it on to its proper
destination. The return message from machine on the B network
goes through the corresponding transformation the other way.

It's obvious I haven't thought through all the implications
of this scheme. For example, what happens when you have a third
site C, which also has networks numbered 1, 2 and 3? Perhaps
you need a remapping on the other side of each router as well,
so A can tell B's network number 1 from C's network number 1.
It seems to me that resolving clashes on this remapping would
be a lot easier task than having to reconfigure all the local-
area routers on each site.

What do other people think?

Lawrence D'Oliveiro                       fone: +64-71-562-889
Computer Services Dept                     fax: +64-71-384-066
University of Waikato            electric mail: ldo@waikato.ac.nz
Hamilton, New Zealand    37^ 47' 29" S, 175^ 19' 16" E, GMT+12:00
It's a commentary on the state of the industry today when the
revolutionary advance is seen to be, not getting an idea to work,
but getting it to work under Unix.

mcgowan@zephyrus.crd.ge.com (Craig A McGowan) (07/13/90)

An number of sites on the Internet are already doing this.  The mailing
list we use to discuss these issues is waan@nisc.nyser.net.  It works
pretty well...
--
Craig McGowan
mcgowan@crd.ge.com

wcc@cup.portal.com (wcc - usa) (07/14/90)

Lawrence D'Oliveiro writes:
> I don't know if this issue has come up before, but here goes...
>
> A suggestion was made to me recently (only half-serious so far) about
> doing wide-area AppleTalk routing between our varsity and others
> in New Zealand.
>
> It seems to me a solution is possible, by adding suitable
> software to the wide-area AppleTalk routers, to do "network number
> aliasing".

Craig McGowan (mcgowan@crd.ge.com)
> An number of sites on the Internet are already doing this.

With AppleTalk or with other network protocols?

I have a list of other perceived problems, but if it's already working
somewhere I'll keep it to myself :-)

Tom Evans
wcc@cup.portal.com
Webster Computer Corporation
Suite J, 2109 O'Toole Ave. San Jose, California 95131-1303
Ph (408) 954-8054  FAX (408) 954-1832

Head Office
tom@wcc.oz.au, multigate@wcc.oz.au
1270 Ferntree Gully Rd. Scoresby, Victoria, Australia
Ph 61 3 764-1100  FAX 61 3 764-1179

mcgowan@zephyrus.crd.ge.com (Craig A McGowan) (07/16/90)

>With AppleTalk or with other network protocols?
>
>I have a list of other perceived problems, but if it's already working
>somewhere I'll keep it to myself :-)
>
>Tom Evans

The WAAN uses "IPTalk", atalkad, and administrative discipline.  There
is a central net number registry at waan-czar@nisc.nyser.net.  For more
info on this project, you should subscribe to waan@nisc.nyser.net by
sending mail to waan-request@nisc.nyser.net send your questions there.
--
Craig McGowan

morgan@JESSICA.STANFORD.EDU (07/17/90)

Craig McGowan writes:

> The WAAN uses "IPTalk", atalkad, and administrative discipline.  There
> is a central net number registry at waan-czar@nisc.nyser.net.  For
> more info on this project, you should subscribe to waan@nisc.nyser.net
> by sending mail to waan-request@nisc.nyser.net send your questions there.

I'd guess that many readers of info-appletalk/comp.protocols.appletalk
would be interested in what you're doing with this project, and would
be interested i n a one-page summary.  In particular I'd like to know
how many networks and zones and organizations you support, what router
hardware and software you use, and if there are any problems.

I'd certainly prefer not to subscribe to yet another mailing list just
to get a few questions answered, especially a list that I imagine is
mostly devoted to the daily details of running your internet.  If
you're suggesting the waan@n isc.nyser.net mailing list as the
appropriate place to discuss wide-area AppleTalk networking in
general, I'd like to strongly suggest that such discussion remain here
instead.

 - RL "Bob" Morgan
   Networking Systems
   Stanford