[comp.protocols.appletalk] WAAN

RAFI@BGUVM.BITNET (Rafi Brunner) (07/14/90)

In a recent letter Tom Evans writes " If it already works somewhere"
Well Tom,  we have WAAN installed on a national basis, and it's already
working between 2/3 of the universities in Israel. The others are following
and will be connected untill the end of 90. We set up a guide commity that
allocated internet numbers to each university, we also purchased the same
routers (CISCO) collectivly. There is no way to produce WAAN without very
tight cooperation between the participants, but once you have it, everything
seems to work. We also plan to connect to other WAANs in the US/Europe when the
optical lines to Europe will be functioning ( about 1/2 a year)
Rafi Brunner
Ben-Gurion Univ.
Beer-Sheva, Israel

wcc@cup.portal.com (wcc - usa) (07/17/90)

Rafi Brunner Ben-Gurion Univ.  Beer-Sheva, Israel writes:
> In a recent letter Tom Evans writes " If it already works somewhere"
> Well Tom,  we have WAAN installed on a national basis, and it's already
> working between 2/3 of the universities in Israel.

Very impressive. What's the transport medium?

> There is no way to produce WAAN without very tight cooperation between
> the participants, but once you have it, everything seems to work.

What Lawrence asked originally was if it was possible to have an "aliasing"
scheme so that network number conflicts between sites (that don't have
the level of cooperation that you have) can be "translated" away in
an automated fashion. I was asking if this translation scheme was
operating anywhere.

What are you using to restrict access (if at all)? Are the cisco's
providing filtering or are you using something else? What access
restrictions have you found necessary?

Tom Evans
wcc@cup.portal.com
Webster Computer Corporation
Suite J, 2109 O'Toole Ave. San Jose, California 95131-1303
Ph (408) 954-8054  FAX (408) 954-1832