[comp.protocols.appletalk] POP2/SMTP Mail Servers

D1749@applelink.apple.com (Disini SW, Emmanuel Disini,PRT) (07/15/90)

Recently there was an info-appletalk posting about Mailstop - a POP2/SMTP
mail-server and I was curious about scenario 3:

>3.  Macs on LocalTalk running POPmail and/or Macs and PCs running POPmail
>    on ethernet. A Unix machine acting as a post office server by running
>    the POP2 daemon. FastPath or Gatorbox gateways connecting the LocalTalk
>    and ethernet segments together.

Could we use a Mac II running A/UX 2.0 as the Unix machine, and keep everyone
on localtalk? <Can you run MacTCP on A/UX?>  Will this then mean that the Mac
II will be intelligent enough to store and forward UUCP mail to POPMail-boxes,
as well as other <dial-up>Unix hosts? What about Macs being able to receive
<and read> USENET news?

Joel Disini
Manila, Philippines

mpm@BOOMBOX.MICRO.UMN.EDU ("Mark P.McCahill") (07/16/90)

Joel Disini writes:

> Recently there was an info-appletalk posting about Mailstop - a POP2/SMTP
> mail-server and I was curious about scenario 3:
>
> >3.  Macs on LocalTalk running POPmail and/or Macs and PCs running POPmail
> >     on ethernet. A Unix machine acting as a post office server by running
> >    the POP2 daemon. FastPath or Gatorbox gateways connecting the LocalTalk
> >   and ethernet segments together.
>
> Could we use a Mac II running A/UX 2.0 as the Unix machine, and keep everyone
> on localtalk? <Can you run MacTCP on A/UX?>  Will this then mean that the Mac
> aII will be intelligent enough to store and forward UUCP mail to POPMail-boxes
> as well as other <dial-up>Unix hosts?

 Yes, you could use a mac II running A/UX as the Unix machine. That is what
 we do here (boombox.micro.umn.edu is running A/UX). If you have configured
 the sendmail program on the unix machine properly, then UUCP mail is readable
 by people with accounts on the A/UX machine. Since the Macs running POPmail
 are really just reading the mail from their unix accounts, Macs running
 POPmail can read UUCP mail. You will need either a gatorbox or a fastpath to
 act as a gateway from the localtalk wires to the ethernet wires to run POPmail
 in this configuration.

 Note that we are not requiring the Macs to know anything about UUCP... the Macs know how to talk to the Unix machine, and it is the Unix machine's
 responsibility to send and recieve the UUCP mail.

> What about Macs being able to receive
> <and read> USENET news?

 The MacTCP developer's disk (from APDA) contains a nice netnews reader, so you
 might want to order that.

 Mark McCahill
 Micrcomputer & Workstation Networks Center
 University of Minnesota
 mpm@boombox.micro.umn.edu

goldfarb@eola.ucf.edu (Benjamin I. Goldfarb) (07/21/90)

mpm@BOOMBOX.MICRO.UMN.EDU ("Mark P.McCahill") writes:

> The MacTCP developer's disk (from APDA) contains a nice netnews reader, so you
> might want to order that.

You might also want to take a look at "Mews" (available via anonymous FTP
from sumex-aim, et. al. It combines a news reader based on NNTP and a mail
front end into a single HyperCard based package. The integration would be
nice, except Minnesota's mail front end is so much nicer and I can't tear
myself away from it.  Great job, guys!

Ben Goldfarb				uucp: {decvax,uflorida}!ucf-cs!goldfarb
University of Central Florida		Internet: goldfarb@eola.ucf.edu
Department of Computer Science