[comp.protocols.appletalk] DEC LANworks is Phase 2 only: can Phase 1 & 2 co-exist?

HAMM@BIOVAX.RUTGERS.EDU (Greg Hamm) (07/21/90)

We are contemplating getting DEC's LANworks product for use in our network,
which consists of two LocalTalk networks bridged as one zone using two
FastPath-4's and our Ethernet.  We have recently heard that LANworks (in fact,
AppleTalk for VMS 3.0) supports only Phase 2 AppleTalk, so we'd have to
move to Phase 2 to use it.  This would be fine for our part of the University,
but there are numerous other AppleTalk zones out there running Phase 1,
which we currently access via our Ethernet's connection to the rest of
the campus.

With this background, then, two questions:

	1. If we were to decide to move to Phase 2, but the rest of the
	campus remains Phase 1, would we affect anyone else adversely,
	apart from not being able to communicate with them?

	2. Is there any way to route between Phase 2 and Phase 1 networks?

Thanks for any help;  I'm reasonably confused about this at the moment.

Greg
Gregory H. Hamm                           || Phone:   (201)932-4864
Director, Molecular Biology Computing Lab || FAX:     (201)932-5735
Waksman Institute/CABM                    || BITNET:   hamm@biovax
P.O. Box 759, Rutgers University          || Internet: hamm@mbcl.rutgers.edu
Piscataway, NJ 08855 * USA                ||

doelz@urz.unibas.ch (07/23/90)

In article <ianh.648781008@morgana>, ianh@bhpmrl.oz.au (Ian Hoyle) writes:
> HAMM@BIOVAX.RUTGERS.EDU (Greg Hamm) writes:
>
>>	2. Is there any way to route between Phase 2 and Phase 1 networks?
>
> Yep, there are 2 ways that I know of:
>
> 1.  use Apple's internet router software (preferably on a dedicated mac)
> 2.  if you have a Kinetics Fastpath 4 with recent ROM revisions, Kstar v8.0
>     will also allow a "transition bridge" to do phase 1 <--> 2 routing.

  3. GatorBox from Cayman systems.

My personal experience says that the Internet Router is loading the Mac
heavily with I <-> II conversion, thus giving bad performance once more than
one job is to be routed. The KFP must be more or less brand new, and ours
cant do it. The GatorBox works fine.

> This works with LANworks :-)

I could not get that product yet - shipping dates for ol' Europe known ?

- Reinhard

morgan@JESSICA.STANFORD.EDU (RL "Bob" Morgan) (07/24/90)

>    1. If we were to decide to move to Phase 2, but the rest of the
>    campus remains Phase 1, would we affect anyone else adversely,
>    apart from not being able to communicate with them?
>
>    2. Is there any way to route between Phase 2 and Phase 1 networks?

It's reasonably easy for you, using your FastPath, to set up a Phase 2 network
that can communicate with all your existing Phase 1, LocalTalk, and IPTalk
networks.  The Mac on which I'm typing this message is speaking Phase 2,
communicating just fine with a large diverse internet using all the other
flavors.

With your FastPath-4, you must run K-STAR 8.0, and set Option 17 *only* in the
Options screen.  This makes your FastPath into a "transition" router, ie
Phase1-to-Phase2.  You also have to enter the Phase 2 info (meaning network
number and zone) into the main screen.  Note that you must have exactly one
Phase 2 network number (ie star and end range numbers are the same) and exactly
one zone name in the zone name list, despite Phase 2's ability to handle
multiples of each, since the Phase 1 routers wth which it has to interact can't
handle multiples.  You should work with whoever is assigning network numbers in
your internet to choose a reasonable number.

The information about the Phase 2 network also has to be communicated to all
the other routers in your internet.  If they're all on the same Ethernet,
there's no problem.  If you're in the usual university situation of connecting
across IP-only routers, using the atalkad mechanism to get routing information
to your FastPaths, there are two approaches.

First, if you label one or more boxes as "core" routers (KC) in the atalkatab,
then the Phase2-running FastPath should send information about the Phase 2
route to the core box, which will distribute it to the others.  I believe this
works, though I think I've seen circumstances where it failed mysteriously,
too.  This method will also distribute information discovered via RTMP from
non-FastPath routers such as the Apple Internet Router.

If you prefer to be more explicit, you can enter a Phase 2 network in the
atalkatab just like a Phase 1, like this:

7.53     E       36.53.0.43      NCS-Test        # net53 Phase II

This lets all the other routers know that the route to this net is via the
indicated IP address.

 - RL "Bob" Morgan
   Networking Systems
   Stanford

-------

ianh@bhpmrl.oz.au (Ian Hoyle) (07/24/90)

HAMM@BIOVAX.RUTGERS.EDU (Greg Hamm) writes:

>We are contemplating getting DEC's LANworks product for use in our network,
>which consists of two LocalTalk networks bridged as one zone using two
>FastPath-4's and our Ethernet.  We have recently heard that LANworks (in fact,
>AppleTalk for VMS 3.0) supports only Phase 2 AppleTalk, so we'd have to
>move to Phase 2 to use it.  This would be fine for our part of the University,
>but there are numerous other AppleTalk zones out there running Phase 1,
>which we currently access via our Ethernet's connection to the rest of
>the campus.

>With this background, then, two questions:

>	1. If we were to decide to move to Phase 2, but the rest of the
>	campus remains Phase 1, would we affect anyone else adversely,
>	apart from not being able to communicate with them?

>	2. Is there any way to route between Phase 2 and Phase 1 networks?

Yep, there are 2 ways that I know of:

1.  use Apple's internet router software (preferably on a dedicated mac)
2.  if you have a Kinetics Fastpath 4 with recent ROM revisions, Kstar v8.0
    will also allow a "transition bridge" to do phase 1 <--> 2 routing.

This works with LANworks :-)

			ian
--
                Ian Hoyle
     /\/\       Image Processing & Data Analysis Group