[comp.protocols.appletalk] good appletalk book

D1749@applelink.apple.com (Disini SW, Emmanuel Disini,PRT) (07/24/90)

>I'm looking for a good book that will help me learn the appletalk protocals.
>I would be using them from within Think C or Think Pascal.  Any and all
>suggest
>ions are welcome.  Thanks.

>-Mike Darweesh

Mike,

There is only ONE appletalk book, and that's Inside Appletalk by Gurshuran
Sidhu & Alan Oppenheimer.  The second edition just came out in mid-May, and it
delves into Phase 2 as well.

It might be hard to locate, so you might consider buying it from APDA, which
you can reach by calling the Apple Computer main number, (408) 996-1010.

Joel Disini
Manila, Philippines

rickf@Apple.COM (Rick Fleischman) (07/25/90)

In article <3011559@AppleLink.Apple.COM> D1749@applelink.apple.com (Disini SW, Emmanuel Disini,PRT) writes:
>There is only ONE appletalk book, and that's Inside Appletalk by Gurshuran
>Sidhu & Alan Oppenheimer.  The second edition just came out in mid-May, and it
>delves into Phase 2 as well.
>
>It might be hard to locate, so you might consider buying it from APDA, which
>you can reach by calling the Apple Computer main number, (408) 996-1010.

Actually, APDA can be reached at the following numbers:
(800) 282-2732 (in the U.S.)
(800) 637-0029 (in Canada)
(408) 562-3910 (International)
(408) 562-3971 (FAX)
or via e-mail at APDA@applelink.apple.com

>Joel Disini
>Manila, Philippines

Rick Fleischman
Developer Programs/APDA
Apple Computer, Inc.
e-mail: rickf@apple.com
AppleLink: FLEISCHMAN@applelink.apple.com

chris@cayman.COM (Chris North) (07/25/90)

> >I'm looking for a good book that will help me learn the appletalk protocals.
>
> There is only ONE appletalk book, and that's Inside Appletalk by Gurshuran
> Sidhu & Alan Oppenheimer.  The second edition just came out in mid-May, and
> it delves into Phase 2 as well.

Poking through a bookstore the other day, I found another Appletalk book.  I
can't remember the name but it was cowritten by a man and a woman.  That book
is more general than Inside Appletalk and spends a large amount of time
describing the basic functions of various appletalk products.

> It might be hard to locate, so you might consider buying it from APDA, which
> you can reach by calling the Apple Computer main number, (408) 996-1010.

  Actually I have found Inside Appletalk in most mall book and computer stores.

--
((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((()))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
  Chris North                        Internet:chris@cayman.com

wagner4@HyperMail.apple.com (Keri Wagner) (07/26/90)

Apple's Networking & Publications department has done three books on the
AppleTalk network system and networking in general:

- "Understanding Computer Networks" - covers the basics of networking for
those new to networking concepts.
- "AppleTalk Network System Overview" - a technical introduction to
AppleTalk, information about Apple's networking products.
- "Inside AppleTalk"  by Sidhu, Andrews, Oppenheimer - detailed
information about the AppleTalk protocols.

All three are published by Addison-Wesley, and available in book stores or
through APDA.

Keri -- All standard disclaimers apply.
wagner4@hypermail.apple.com