[comp.protocols.appletalk] Network mailers for the Mac -- Summary

kenw@noah.arc.ab.ca (Ken Wallewein) (07/26/90)

  A short while ago I posted the following message:

>   We're finally getting serious about Mac-based email.  And because we have
> a highly networked environment, networking aspects have a starring role on
> our list of priorities; unfortunately, they are a bit hard to gather data
> on.
>
>   Here are a few key points:
> 	1) gateway with (one or more of) SMTP, X.400, VMS Mail
> 	2) all messages stored on reliable, secure server
> 	3) messages accessible from multiple platforms, even efter being read
> 	4) works with Macs, Unix, VMS, MS-DOS, OS/2
>
>   We're very interested on what other people have done to address these
> issues.  If you've addressed even one of them, please share your knowledge
> and how you feel about the results.

  Here are the results.

  Many of the responses seemed to ignore the criteria I mentioned.  One
point worth mentioning is that POP (Post Office Protocol, about which I
know very little) seems to be a facility for communicating with a machine
which runs a mailer user agent, and as such, seems to almost to be a remote
control for that user agent.  Mac-based POP software does not so much
_transfer_ the mail from the host as make a Mac-based copy of it, thereby
providing a Mac interface for more traditional mailers.

  I've heard from more than one source that Mews crashed when they tried
it.  Other's say it's great.  No resolution as of yet.

  We haven't made much progress on this lately.  When we do, I'll try to
post something.

 /kenw

Ken Wallewein                                                     A L B E R T A
kenw@noah.arc.ab.ca                                             R E S E A R C H
(403)297-2660                                                     C O U N C I L

From:    Austin Shelton <austins@garnet.berkeley.edu>

We are using Stanford's MacMH POP3 client with a POP3 server we developed here.
The server is available via anonymous ftp to lilac.berkeley.edu (128.32.136.12)
and includes a readme file that explains how it works.  Look for "popper.tar.Z"
in the "pub" directory.  It all works pretty well.

Austin Shelton
U.C. Berkeley

-----------

From:    <manuel@cnam.cnam.fr>

Following your mail, here at CNAM we have around 200 Macs of all types. Half
of them are connected together through AppleTalk. For the moment we test
several Mac-based mailing systems. The only one suitable for us is QuickMail.
Why ? becauseQuickMail is customisable, and there's a lot of gateway
for others systems. Fisrt we use the FastPath Kinetics gateway for DecNet
and TCP/IPprotocols to AppleTalk and back. That's great because FastPath
is the only gateway I know able to manage three protocols at once !

  There's slight modification to our VMS and none to the Ultrix systems.
  QuickMail is a DA, and need a server. The VMS-Mail conversion is done
  trough MailMate/QM : itworks perfectly well for the Mac side. There's
  no problem for the VMS side, except the syntax for mail path. Though
  VMS-Mail you can access to X-400.

  On the Ultrix side we test BeaverGate from Toronto's University : it's
  free and require no modification of the Ultrix system. Theres' also
  the GatorQM/X (I think that's the name) able to do that too.

  Comparing QuickMail to MS-mail, there's slight differences, but QuickMail
  is much more user-friendly, and OPEN to other systems. CC:Mail is another
  one, very good, but not widely distributed (here in France), but use the
  VAX as server. for security reasons this last one is very good ! Now
  I've installed MACTCP, which is not a mail system, but allow users to
  access directly to TCP/IP protocols without being bored with VTxxx
  emulation which is quite slow.

  Anyway if you need furher help or indication, please drop me a mail or
  chat with IRC !.

  Always MAcintoshly Your's.

  Manuel Bouyssou
  CNAM Macintosh Support Officer

  manuel@cnam.cnam.fr.

--------------

From:    "Mark P.McCahill" <mpm@boombox.micro.UMN.EDU>

To provide e-mail for Mac (and IBM PC) users at the University of
Minnesota we use some software we developed called POPmail. POPmail
is a client for a POP2 server. In this system, a Unix system runs a
POP2 (post office protocol) server process. Incomming e-mail is held
at the post office (the Unix machine) until the user fetches the mail
with the POPmail client software running on his PC or Mac.

Reasons to like this approach:
 o   Both the POPmail client software and the POP2 server software are
     available free via anonymous ftp from boombox.micro.umn.edu

 o   You don't have to worry about gateways to SMTP mail since the mail
     delivery system is a Unix machine. If the Unix machine can get to
     a gateway to x.400 or DECNET you can send and recieve e-mail from
     those environments.

 o   The Mac version of POPmail can send and recieve Mac documents and
     applications as enclosures in the e-mail meesage. The POPmail
     software binhex's the enclosure so that it will make it through the
     SMTP mail system. The enclosed documents are automatically
     un-binhexed when recieved on another Mac running POPmail so the users
     can transparently send and recieve documents with their e-mail.

 o   The Macintosh version of POPmail works with MacTCP, so any
     configuration supported by MacTCP works. The PC version of POPmail
     uses the CLarkson packet drivers, so any hardware supported by
     the Clarkson packet drivers supports POPmail.

Mark P. McCahill                                      University of Minnesota
Microcomputer & Workstation Networks Center                    (612) 625-1300
100 Union St. SE                 internet:  mpm@boombox.micro.umn.edu

Minneapolis. MN 55455              BITNET:  mpm%boombox.micro.umn.edu@UMNACVX
                                     UUCP:  uunet!boombox.micro.umn.edu!mpm

-----------------

From:    Kurt Baumann <kdb@intercon.com>

Here is some information that might be of interest to you.

Kurt Baumann
****

PRODUCT INFORMATION
TCP/CONNECT II for the Apple Macintosh

OVERVIEW

    TCP/Connect II provides Macintosh users with a complete set of
    TCP/IP services, allowing them to take advantage of the capabilities
    of local and wide area networks, including remote terminal emulation,
    file transfer, electronic mail, and network news.

MAJOR FEATURES

    TCP/IP Protocols:

	TCP/IP is the worldwide de facto standard of network interoperability.
	TCP/Connect II will communicate with a wide range of computers
	ranging from micros to mainframes and supercomputers without
	requiring custom software.

    VT240/241 Emulation:

	TCP/Connect II emulates the DEC VT240 and VT241 graphics terminals,
	including such features as ReGIS color graphics, full international
	character set support, and downloadable fonts.

    IBM 3278 Emulation:

	TCP/Connect II also emulates the IBM 3278 series of data entry
	terminals, providing high-performance mainframe connectivity.

    Multiple Sessions:

	Any combination of VT240 and 3278 sessions may be opened, up
	to a maximum of 20 simultaneous sessions.

    File Transfer:

	FTP transfers can be initiated from the Macintosh, using a
	"Font/DA Mover" style of user interface, or remotely from another
	host, using that host's standard FTP program to communicate
	with TCP/Connect II's FTP server.

    Electronic Mail:

	TCP/Connect II contains the ability to send and receive Internet-
	standard electronic mail directly on the Macintosh, using a
	window-based browser user interface.  It also supports multiple
	mailboxes, personal address books, remote user information database
	lookup, and file inclusion.

    Network News:

	TCP/Connect II allows Macintosh users to read and post news articles
	to electronic public message systems such as Usenet or ClariNet,
	using a fast, customizable, browser style user interface.  Flexible
	article filtering and highlighting capabilities are provided, to
	help users manage high volume discussions.

    Network Management:

	TCP/Connect II includes a complete SNMP agent, which allows a
	remote network monitoring station to retrieve statistics and
	configurations information from the Macintosh without human
	intervention.

    Flexible Media Choices:

	TCP/Connect II operates over Ethernet, LocalTalk, or serial lines
	(using SLIP).  It also can operate in conjunction with Apple's
	MacTCP driver, which is included with TCP/Connect II.

    Speed:

	TCP/Connect II's terminal emulation and	file transfer speeds
	are among the highest available on the Macintosh, as a result of
	InterCon Systems Corporation's ongoing commitment to providing
	the highest possible performance to our customers.

PRICING AND AVAILABILITY

TCP/Connect II is available for $495.00 per copy in single quantity.
Limited versions are available at a lower cost to customers who do not
need or desire all of the capabilities listed above.

InterCon Systems Corporation offers discounts to educational
institutions and government agencies, as well as an aggressive volume
purchase and site license program.

For more information, contact:

	InterCon Systems Corporation
	950 Herndon Parkway Suite 390
	Herndon, VA 22070

	703.709.9890 (Voice)
	703.709.9896 (FAX)

	comment@intercon.com 		(Internet email)
	...!uunet!intercon!comment	(UUCP email)

---------------

From:    (Jacques Virchaux) <virchaux@sic.epfl.ch>

We have also the same problem to slove here. We are actually running a
Mail Gateway (Sotware Tools Mail Gateway from TGV) on a VAX/VMS which
has link with BITNET (with Jnet from Joiner's Associates), SMTP (with
Multinet from TGV), X.400 (with UBC-EAN) and VMSmail (of course !).

Actually most of our Macs are on Kinetics FastPath-4 (with KEYSTAR 8)
and we are trying to find a Quick-Mail/SMTP gateway. We have tested
GatorMail-Q from Cayman (really made by StarNine), MailMate-QM and
BeaverGate Bridge.

MailMate-QM is only a VMSmail/QuickMail gateway.

GatorMail-Q has not a nice addressing scheme (mailcenter name is
inserted into the local part).

BeaverGate Bridge is a public domain gateway provided by University of
Toronto and has about the same functionnality as GatorMail-Q but does not
need to register all the users (only mailcenters are registered). You can
get it via anonymous ftp at madhaus.utcs.toronto.ca (128.100.102.10) and
filename is /pub/beaver-0.85. From our point of view there are some
improvements to set-up as described hereafter :

1. Replacement of the 'underscore' with a 'dot' (maybe a configuration
   option) will conform to RFC822 and avoid problems with RFC987 gateways.

2. Another problem with non IA5 (ASCII) characters - we use French here ! -
   into header fields must be solved in the following manner :

   - When sent, convert (via a table) all these fields to IA5 closer
     equivalent letter for the header fields.
   - When received must compare the 'Firstname_Lastname' recipient through
     a filter using the same table when looking for the user.

3. It should be nice to be able to define the 'default gateway' as the
   unique machine where the mails are sent (as an option).

4. A MacPlus version should be available beside the MacII's one (a lot of
   BeaverGate users are sure interested to dedicate an old MacPlus to
   such a work rather than a brand new one !).

I have not received any answer but I know that a 0.87 version is available
for SMTP (send & receive).

There is also TCPConnect II which provides an SMTP interface with a
POP server running on a Unix system. However Mac users need to be
registered on another system and cannot satisfy our needs.

Kind regards,
					Jacques Virchaux
				Swiss Federal Institute of Technology
					CH-1015 Lausanne
					  Switzerland

------------------

From:    David Foster <tigger@saturn.ucsc.edu>

Hello,
I saw your posting on usenet about integrating email packages.
I just contacted a company called Touch Communications that was
suggested in another newsgroup posting.  I happened to talk to
Joe Rohde and he sent me some stuff which just arrived.  His
phone number is 408-374-2500 and email is jrohde@touch.com.
I contacted them for a coworker who's responsible for campus
email, thus I can't be much help to you.  Good Luck.

David Foster
Lab Manager
Univ of Calif, Santa Cruz
tigger@cis.ucsc.edu

---------------

From:    "Steven W. Bittinger" <steveb@tasman.cc.utas.edu.au>

In case you did not see the announcement on the net, the University of
Tasmania has developed a HyperCard based mail/news reader called
"Mews". This is available via anonymous ftp from ftp.utas.edu.au
The file is in the /pub/mac/ directory. It contains a 20-page manual
as well as the Mews program. Mews requires a POP mail servers, and an
nntp connection for getting at the news. It works well and is free.

For more details, contact the author of Mews: Dr Charles Lakos,
charles@tasis.eecs.utas.edu.au

Steven Bittinger          E-mail:  steveb@tasman.cc.utas.edu.au
Computing Centre          Phone:                  (002) 20-2811
University of Tasmania    Fax:                    (002) 23-1772
GPO Box 252C, Hobart       Note: internationally, dial (+61-02)
Tasmania 7001, AUSTRALIA                     instead of (002)

----------------

From:    <charles@tasis.eecs.utas.edu.au>

I have only been involved in making mail and news accessible to macs with
a comfortable user interface.  I recently made my Hypercard stack called
Mews available on the net.  Here is the blurb on it.

Mews (for Mail and News) is a Hypercard stack for reading and posting both
mail and news using the MacTCP protocol driver.  Mews communicates with
mail and news servers provided on some mainframe computer or computers.

Mail communication depends on the SMTP and POP (POP3 or POP2) protocols
supported on the mail server, while news communication depends on the
NNTP protocol (version 1.5 or later) supported on the news server.  By
utilising these protocols, a user need only have a POP mailbox account
on the mail server rather than a full login account.  All posting of
mail or news is validated against the password for the POP account.

Features of Mews:
* one format of message cards for both mail and news items
* one format of index cards for mail items, newsgroups, and subject list
  within a newsgroup
* ability to save and recall messages to text files
* ability to print messages with a standard banner
* ability to perform save, recall, print, discard on multiple messages at
  a time
* posting of news as opposed to mail is determined by the recipient of the
  message being one or more known newsgroups
* ability to delete your own message from a newsgroup (having first been
  validated against the password for the POP account)
* the handling of long messages (in excess of 30000 characters) by querying
  the user whether to discard excess characters or save direct to a text file

Mews has been posted to comp.binaries.mac and the info-mac archives.
It is also available by anonymous ftp as pub/mac/Mews_1.3.hqx from
ftp.utas.edu.au (131.217.10.1).

The current version includes patches to level 1.3.2 which resolve:
* more efficient use of space to cater for larger newsgroup lists
* better response when passwords are entered incorrectly or cancelled
* handles larger mail headers than before

-----
Charles Lakos                                   charles@tasis.eecs.utas.edu.au
Electrical Engineering & Computer Science
University of Tasmania
Tasmania, Australia.

-------------------

From:    <cxm102@csc2.anu.edu.au>

Ken Wallewein
I noticed your news item asking for info about e-mail on
mixed local networks.  Here in Canberra we face a similar
problem, hence I would be grateful if you could send on
duplicates of any responses which you get concerning this
subject.   One (expensive) option we face is to use
QuickMail, which looks very good. A cheap alternative is
to have a SUN as a POP mail server and use MacPOP, but this
requires everyone to have a UNIX mail account and all the
mail would be routed through the UNIX box.  Not everyone uses
or wants to use a mainframe mail system when there is the
friendlier option that QuickMail presents.
I would mainly like to know of low cost and/or public
domain utilities which notify the user when new mail
arrives...MacPOP has this as a cdev.  Tricks such as
Broadcast are just too primitive.
Thanks in advance for any information which you can pass on.
Best wishes
Chris Meaney
Maths Research Section
School of Maths Sci
Australian National University
Canberra.

-----------------

From:    <cxm102@csc2.anu.edu.au>

Thanks for the suggestion about MEWS...I  had tried it here, using MacTCP
and getting my mail on a SUN, but it seemed to crash...don't know why.
I could get the HyperUNIX collection of stacks to work: read & send mail,
read news, and so on, but it was slower than telnet and still lacked the
main feature I was looking for, namely, notification on my Mac when
mail arrived on the SUN.
I'll watch the news to see your summary. thanks.
Best wishes,
Chris Meaney.

-----------------------

From:    <SERVICE@baylor.ccis.baylor.edu>

Ken,
     At Baylor University we have just completed our evaluation of the
alternatives and are now deploying Quickmail from CE Software.  We've found
that using U of Toronto's BeaverGate package Quickmail integrates smoothly
(dare I say seamlessly?) into our other mail systems.
     We just received the new rev for the PC and it looks _very_ good.  In
your reviews, make sure you're comparing/using version 2.2.3 or higher of
Quickmail both on the PC and the Mac.  It is significantly better than
other versions.

Good Luck ;-)

Bob Lemley
Baylor University