[comp.protocols.appletalk] Large Appletalk Internets and Atalkad

mccormic@BBN.COM ("Ronald A. McCormick - BBNCC") (08/02/90)

	I am having a problem with a KFPS-4 running K-STAR 8.0.  Whenever
I configure more than 64 appletalk nets into our atalkad (We are running
version 1.24 of atalkad) tables, the gateway will miss all gateways that
are after the first 64.  Since we currently use over 70 gateways, this can
be a problem.  I would like to be able to administer them all from a central
location, rather that using multiple admin hosts.  Has anyone had this
problem before?  If so, do you have any help that you can give?

	Please reply via email,  I will summarize.

				-Ron McCormick
				(BBN Communications)
				( 301-290-5061 )

hobson@elbereth.rutgers.edu (Kevin Hobson) (08/03/90)

In article <Added.0ai3Bj_00UkTM8a08U@andrew.cmu.edu> mccormic@BBN.COM ("Ronald A. McCormick - BBNCC") writes:

> 	I am having a problem with a KFPS-4 running K-STAR 8.0.  Whenever
> I configure more than 64 appletalk nets into our atalkad (We are running
> version 1.24 of atalkad) tables, the gateway will miss all gateways that
> are after the first 64.  Since we currently use over 70 gateways, this can
> be a problem.  I would like to be able to administer them all from a central
> location, rather that using multiple admin hosts.  Has anyone had this
> problem before?  If so, do you have any help that you can give?

	Yes, it has been seen and Rutgers KIP-implementation has
solved the 64 route limitation with packet splitting in atalkad and
KIP. Basically, normal KIP sends only one packet for all the routes in
/etc/atalkatab database. Rutgers KIP-implementation fragments the
packet automatically so you can have more than 64 routes. The only
problem is with Shiva Fastpath KStar 8.0 and Cayman Gatorbox V1.5
implements the old KIP (maximum of 64 routes). So if you have the
above vendor software, you will still run into problem even if you run
combination of EtherTalk and appletalk-to-IP (IPTalk) gateways since
you will acquire routes through Ethertalk, IPTalk and LocalTalk.
	Until the above vendors have a solution to the above problem,
we are basically resolving this thorn with two methods:

1) Turn IPTalk on only on appletalk networks where it is needed (CAP
only host point to these gateways) along with EtherTalk (Phase I or
II).  Add this to /etc/atalkatab as a IPTalk routing information.

2) Run UAB+ with modified CAP on any machines that can use on
particular Ethernet. On the Shiva FastPath or Cayman GatorBox turn on
only EtherTalk (Phase I or II) along with Cisco Ethertalk. Add a
commented entry in the /etc/atalkatab to document the network numbers
and gateways but it will not be part on the actual appletalk-to-IP
routing database. They will learn about the CAP-only host from through
a EtherTalk to IPTalk (look at 1) somewhere on the appletalk network.

Also the static and dynamic IP does still work. We have just only
recently tested the dynamic and static IP allocation implementation on
KStar without running appletalk-to-IP configuration and notice that it
keeps sending on informational errors saying IPTalk is not running.
But it does work. Cayman GatorBox V1.5 does work depending on the
configuration parameters.

Good luck.
--
Kevin Hobson				Internet: hobson@rutgers.edu
Rutgers - The State University		UUCP: {backbone}!rutgers!hobson

billkatt@mondo.engin.umich.edu (billkatt) (08/04/90)

In article <Aug.2.13.36.00.1990.19656@elbereth.rutgers.edu> hobson@elbereth.rutgers.edu (Kevin Hobson) writes:
>In article <Added.0ai3Bj_00UkTM8a08U@andrew.cmu.edu> mccormic@BBN.COM ("Ronald A. McCormick - BBNCC") writes:
>
>Also the static and dynamic IP does still work. We have just only
>recently tested the dynamic and static IP allocation implementation on
>KStar without running appletalk-to-IP configuration and notice that it
>keeps sending on informational errors saying IPTalk is not running.
>But it does work. Cayman GatorBox V1.5 does work depending on the
>configuration parameters.

Heck, you can probably get rid of those if you'd zero out your 'configuration
host' field.

Steve Bollinger                                                    ____/|
909 Church St. Apt C                                               \ o.O|
Ann Arbor, Mi. 48104                                                =(_)=
(313)-662-4073 -home (313)-763-3070 -work                             U
billkatt@mondo.engin.umich.edu                              -ACK ACK ACK ACK!
                                                              "thhhhppppttt!"

hobson@madness.rutgers.edu (Kevin Hobson) (08/08/90)

In article <1990Aug3.201345.2350@caen.engin.umich.edu> billkatt@mondo.engin.umich.edu (billkatt) writes:

> > In article <Aug.2.13.36.00.1990.19656@elbereth.rutgers.edu> hobson@elbereth.rutgers.edu (Kevin Hobson) writes:
> >
> >Also the static and dynamic IP does still work. We have just only
> >recently tested the dynamic and static IP allocation implementation on
> >KStar without running appletalk-to-IP configuration and notice that it
> >keeps sending on informational errors saying IPTalk is not running.
> >But it does work. Cayman GatorBox V1.5 does work depending on the
> >configuration parameters.
>
> Heck, you can probably get rid of those if you'd zero out your 'configuration
> host' field.

Well, after rereading the KStar documentation, one can either use
option 9 (for static and dynamic IP on LocalTalk in the same zonename)
or option 7 (for static and dynamic IP on both EtherTalk and LocalTalk
across multiple networks and gateways only for the same zonename).
This all assumes that option 12 (KIP) is turned off. We have notice
that the vendor software will be updated by EtherTalk (via Cisco) and
will get all the routes even if the KIP RMTP packets do not get
through.