[comp.protocols.appletalk] Need help on NBP

domenikos@emass1.enet.dec.com (My name is George Domenikos.) (08/02/90)

I am running responder 1.0.1
My node seems to be registered properly.
I am phased with the following problem:
I am doing a simple NBPLookup, as described in Inside Macintosh
Volume II, using wildcards '=' for objStr, '=' for typeStr, '*' for ZoneStr.
NBPLookup returns with no errors.
Then I am doing an NBPextract which also works fine.
The problem is that I get everything else on the network except my local node.
If I run my program from another mac on my local talk network I can see
the node I was previously on but I still loose the new local node.
Any suggestions?
Any help will of any kind will be greately appreciated!!!
		Thanks

D1749@applelink.apple.com (Disini SW, Emmanuel Disini,PRT) (08/02/90)

George,

try toggling PsetSelfSend (Inside Mac Vol 5 pg 514). That should allow you to
receive appletalk packets from the same node.

Joel Disini
Manila, Philippines

robert@polari.UUCP (robert) (08/09/90)

In article <0156378@AppleLink.Apple.COM>, D1749@applelink.apple.com (Disini SW, Emmanuel Disini,PRT) writes:

> try toggling PsetSelfSend (Inside Mac Vol 5 pg 514). That should allow you to
> receive appletalk packets from the same node.

Just wanted to add - PsetSelfSend won't work unless you have a current
enough version of Appletalk. The version of Appletalk in ROM on the
Mac II, SE, and all later models are fine, but the MacPlus doesn't
have PsetSelfSend in ROM. On a MacPlus, you need to upgrade to the
current version of Appletalk by putting an INIT in the system folder
that patches to a current version (version 48 or above will work).
This INIT (called "Appletalk") is available from Apple (it was on
the Phil and Dave's CD). To ship this INIT with a product requires
a license from Apple, but I think the fee is nominal.

There is also a CDEV that was on Phil and Dave's CD called SetSelfSend
that can be used (as I recall) to toggle SelfSend on and off.

|Robert Riebman                    |  robert@polari                     |
|Northwest Information Technology  | (...uw-beaver!sumax!polari!robert) |
|P.O. Box 3156                     |                                    |
|Redmond, WA     98073             |         "Hack and Enjoy"           |