[comp.protocols.appletalk] Public Folder/Broadcast over ethernet

ercm20@castle.ed.ac.uk (Sam Wilson) (08/08/90)

We have recently installed ethernet cards in two Macs (it would be 4 but
two cards were DOA) and discovered the "can't use EtherTalk and
LocalTalk at the same time" feature.  What is disconcerting is that
Public Folder and Broadcast don't appear to work when the networking is
switched to 'Ethernet'.  Does anyone know whether this is a fundamental
problem due to differences in the way LocalTalk and EtherTalk work, or
is there some feature of PF/B'cast that means they don't work over
EtherTalk (but should) or is there just some problem with my setup.

hardware: Mac SE, System 6.0.4, twin floppies, 2.5Mb, external HD, 3Com
          EtherLink/SE card, Public Folder 1.0, Broadcast 1.2, various
          other INITs and CDEVs

hardware: Mac IIcx, System 6.0.4, floppy, 4Mb, 40M internal HD, other
          assorted h/w add-ons (scanner, ProDrive etc.), 3Com
          EtherLink/II card, Public Folder 1.0, Broadcast 1.2, various
          other INITs and CDEVs

NCSA Telnet 2.3 works fine on both machines but had not been in use
between startup and testing PF and B'cast.

Sam Wilson
EUCS Network Services

bschmidt@bnr.ca (Ben Schmidt) (08/09/90)

In article <5585@castle.ed.ac.uk> ercm20@castle.ed.ac.uk (Sam Wilson)
writes:
> ...  What is disconcerting is that
> Public Folder and Broadcast don't appear to work when the networking is
> switched to 'Ethernet'.  Does anyone know whether this is a fundamental
> problem due to differences in the way LocalTalk and EtherTalk work, or
> is there some feature of PF/B'cast that means they don't work over
> EtherTalk (but should) or is there just some problem with my setup.

No reports of problems with Public Folder 1.0 between Macs on Ethernet at
this site.  Users of Broadcast 1.2 at this site on Ethernet though have reported NOT being able to see other Broadcast users IFF these other Ethernet users are  on the same zone. Otherwise Broadcast works fine between Macs on different Ethernet zones.

Ben Schmidt              Bell-Northern Research, Ltd.    Ph: (613) 763-3906
Information Technology     P.O. Box 3511, Station C      FAX:(613) 763-3283
                         Ottawa Ontario Canada K1Y 4H7

bhall@pbs.org (Dark Star) (08/09/90)

In article <5585@castle.ed.ac.uk>, ercm20@castle.ed.ac.uk (Sam Wilson) writes:
> What is disconcerting is that
> Public Folder and Broadcast don't appear to work when the networking is
> switched to 'Ethernet'.  Does anyone know whether this is a fundamental
> problem due to differences in the way LocalTalk and EtherTalk work, or
>
> hardware: Mac IIcx, System 6.0.4, floppy, 4Mb, 40M internal HD, other
>           assorted h/w add-ons (scanner, ProDrive etc.), 3Com
>           EtherLink/II card, Public Folder 1.0, Broadcast 1.2, various
>           other INITs and CDEVs

I can use Public Folder (haven't tried Broadcast) between a Mac IIcx with
System 6.0.4 and a Novell EtherPort II ("National" flavor) and a Mac IIci
with System 6.0.5 and a Novell EtherPort II ("Intel" flavor).

On the EtherPort cards you can select between AppleTalk Phase I and Phase II.
If the 3Com cards have a similar feature, they may not be set the same.

--
Bruce Hall                     Domain: bhall@pbs.org
Public Broadcasting Service    UUCP:...{uupsi,vrdxhq,csed-1,ida.org}!pbs!bhall

shoemake@Apple.COM (Mike Shoemaker) (08/09/90)

bschmidt@bnr.ca (Ben Schmidt) writes:

>In article <5585@castle.ed.ac.uk> ercm20@castle.ed.ac.uk (Sam Wilson)
>writes:
>> ...  What is disconcerting is that
>> Public Folder and Broadcast don't appear to work when the networking is
>> switched to 'Ethernet'.  Does anyone know whether this is a fundamental
>> problem due to differences in the way LocalTalk and EtherTalk work, or
>> is there some feature of PF/B'cast that means they don't work over
>> EtherTalk (but should) or is there just some problem with my setup.

>No reports of problems with Public Folder 1.0 between Macs on Ethernet at
>this site.  Users of Broadcast 1.2 at this site on Ethernet though
>have reported NOT being able to see other Broadcast users IFF these
>other Ethernet users are  on the same zone. Otherwise Broadcast works
>fine between Macs on different Ethernet zones.

>Ben Schmidt              Bell-Northern Research, Ltd.    Ph: (613) 763-3906
>Information Technology     P.O. Box 3511, Station C      FAX:(613) 763-3283
>                         Ottawa Ontario Canada K1Y 4H7

I use both Public Folder and Broadcast on Ethernet with no problems.  Be
warned that if you use the Network control panel to switch networks, that
neither of these products notice that AppleTalk was turned off and back
on and that they should reregister their name.  The result is that they
appear to 'break.' If you reboot, they will register their name on the
newly selected network.

Technical aside:  Starting with the Phase 2 AppleTalk implementation on the
Mac, there is an AppleTalk transition queue.  Applications can be put on this
queue and they will get notified when the user switches networks or AppleTalk
gets turned off (like just  before the Portable goes to sleep.) See Tech
note #250.

Mike Shoemaker
Apple Computer, Inc.

ercm20@castle.ed.ac.uk (Sam Wilson) (08/09/90)

Thanks to lots of people for the 'works OK here' reponses, which were
encouraging.

Helpful suggestions came from (excuse the UK ordered domains):

billkatt <billkatt@edu.umich.engin.mondo> (Steve Bollinger)
loucks@uucp.intvax (Cliff Loucks)
bhall@pbs.org (Dark Star) (Bruce Hall)
David Birnbaum 39116 <davidb@com.shearson.govt>
shoemake@Apple.COM (Mike Shoemaker)

The problem turns out to be that the MacIIcx was running AppleTalk Phase
II whereas the SE was running Phase I.  Now that that's fixed everything
is fine.  Mike Shoemaker also pointed out that neither Public Folder nor
Broadcast readvertises itself after a change of network and so can
appear not to work.  Restarting after changing the network connection in
the Control Panel fixes this.

And apologies to the network for cross-posting the original message and
not setting the Follow-up:!

Those who don't like gory details can hit 'n' now...

Sam Wilson
Network Services, EUCS
----------------------

As supplied by 3Com he SE is running a driver called 'EtherLink/SE' and
the version string (anyone know how to save the textual output from an
Info box???) says "EtherLink/SE v1.0 Thursday, January 12, 1989".  The
icon has single arrows.  The IIcx (with an EtherLink/NB card - sorry I
said EtherLink II in the original message - that's a PC card) has
'EtherTalk2.0', "2.0, (c) Apple Computer, Inc.  1987-89".  The icon has
double arrows.

The Installer that comes with the MacII card only gives you the choice
of installing 'EtherTalk (2.0)' (even though the manual has the
Installer window showing 'EtherTalk (1.0)') but hidden away on the
installation disk is a folder 'Previous Version' with a file 'EtherTalk'
on it.  This seems to be EtherTalk for AppleTalk Phase I - it has the
icon with single arrows and, once dumped in the System File, talks to
the SE.  The 'EtherTalk2.0' driver will not work on the SE.  Phew! All I
need to do now to keep up to date is to find a Phase II driver for the
EtherLink/SE board...