[comp.protocols.appletalk] Limitations imposed by AppleShare's User Authentication

Beattie@SYSTEM-M.PHX.BULL.COM ("Art Beattie {AC602 862-4783}") (08/15/90)

Kevin Adams <ADAMS@intellicorp.com> writes:
>I would like to comment on the restriction Apple places on the maximum
>length a password associated with an AppleShare server can be.
>Currently, one can have only up to 6 characters.  From a security
>standpoint, this seems to be too few.  Most timesharing/server operating
>systems provide for passwords up towards 16 or 32 characters.  Now,
>realistically, nobody uses much more than, say, 10.

I agree with you, Kevin.  I have supported systems in the past with an 8
character maximum limit where the minimum length can be specified by the
system administrator.  With the use of PCs and people attempting to get
on by going through the combinations using a software program, 6 and 8
characters seems a bit small.  I would like to see 16.  This would
increase the size of the User & Groups file but with the lower cost of
larger disks, that would seem to be a small issue.