[comp.protocols.appletalk] AppleTalk Internet Router Performance

hayes@Apple.COM (Jim Hayes) (08/17/90)

Regarding the Apple Internet Router, Wolfgang Naegeli (wnn@ornl.gov) writes:

>How limited is the throughput if I run it on a IIfx?  I suspect it might
>beat a FastPath, GatorBox, or MultiGate.

    LocalTalk to LocalTalk -and-
    LocalTalk to EtherTalk -and-
    LocalTalk to TokenTalk on the Mac IIx *and above* route at the same speeds.
    This is simply because LocalTalk is the bottleneck, so an fx is probably
    overkill here...

    You get about 12k/sec routing LocalTalk to LocalTalk
    You get about 22k/sec routing LocalTalk to TokenTalk
    you get about 23k/sec routing LocalTalk to Ethernet

    The ONLY tangible improvement the IIfx gives you is better interactive
    performance if you have a router running in the background.  This is
    because the IIfx uses one of its dedicated I/O processors to do all the
    LocalTalk transmission instead of the 68030.

You start to see some speed improvement when you start routing EtherTalk and
TokenTalk.  Since the TokenTalk card has its own on board I/O processor, you
won't see much improvement from a Mac IIx and up.  Perhaps 3k/sec more as
the processor can set stuff up faster.

    You get about 70-80k/sec routing TokenTalk to TokenTalk

For Ethertalk, the difference is quite significant.

    You get about 100-105k/sec routing TokenTalk to EtherTalk on the IIx and
    above.

    EtherTalk-EtherTalk:
	Mac II:     ~160k/sec.  (We use lots of these at Apple)
	Mac IIx/cx  ~175k/sec.
	Mac IIci    ~200k/sec.  (We use some of these at Apple)
	Mac IIfx    ~250k/sec.

The above numbers are unofficial maximum performance measures.
You milage may vary.

---

Several major high-performance router manufacturers have announced support
for AppleTalk routing in their products.  If your network already has
high-performance routers, adding AppleTalk support should just be a software
upgrade away...  This is by far the cheapest way to add AppleTalk to
an existing high-performance network.

--
Jim Hayes, AppleTalk-TCP/IP Weenie
Advanced Technology Group, Apple Computer Inc.

Inet: hayes@apple.com		 UUCP: {amdcad|decwrl|ames}!apple!hayes

wnn@ornl.gov (Wolfgang N. Naegeli) (08/20/90)

Naegeli  -- that's me! --) writes:

> > And there is another missing link:  TCP/IP routing and AppleTalk in
UDP
> > tunneling support by the Apple Internet Router!
>
> The Apple folks who discussed the Internet Router at the WWDC were asked
> about this.  Their response was along the lines of "No... the Apple
> Internet Router is designed as a basic, limited-throughput router to get
> people started.  We view tunnelling, high-throughput dedicated routers,
> and so forth as appropriate markets for third-party developers."

-----

In article <44035@apple.Apple.COM> hayes@Apple.COM (Jim Hayes) writes
referring to my response to the above:
writes:

> >How limited is the throughput if I run it on a IIfx?  I suspect it
might
> >beat a FastPath, GatorBox, or MultiGate.
>
>     LocalTalk to LocalTalk -and-
>     LocalTalk to EtherTalk -and-
>     LocalTalk to TokenTalk on the Mac IIx *and above* route at the same
speeds.
>     This is simply because LocalTalk is the bottleneck, so an fx is
probably
>     overkill here...
>
>     You get about 12k/sec routing LocalTalk to LocalTalk
>     You get about 22k/sec routing LocalTalk to TokenTalk
>     you get about 23k/sec routing LocalTalk to Ethernet

Well, if LocalTalk is the bottleneck, then dedicated hardware boxes can't
overcome it either,
i.e. Apple's argument that they don't offer tunneling in UDP (IPTalk)
because they want to
leave the high-performance field to others, falls apart.

Jim goes on to give some figures that show that the IIfx does make a
diffference in Ethertalk to Ethertalk routing, though not quite as much as
one might expect from less-specific published information about its
performance.

My argument all along has been, that in situations where wide connectivity
for relatively low traffic is needed, an Apple Internet Router supporting
TCP/IP routing and perhaps running in the background of an AppleShare cum
QuickMail server would be a very flexible and cost-effective solution.  We
have such needs, and I would be surprised if there weren't many other
places out there for whom this would be an ideal solution too, and that
Apple is shortsighted not offering it.

It appears that Network Resources Corp. thinks so too.  I'll look into
MultiGate Mac, and I hope it is as versatile in other respects as Apple's
Internet Router.

Wolfgang N. Naegeli
Internet: wnn@ornl.gov    Bitnet: wnn@ornlstc
Phone: 615-574-6143       Fax: 615-574-6141
QuickMail (QM-QM): Wolfgang Naegeli @ 615-574-4510
Snail:  Oak Ridge National Laboratory, Oak Ridge, TN 37831-6206