[comp.protocols.appletalk] NCSA Telnet Setup Keys

tjfs@tadtec.tadpole (Tim Steele) (08/06/90)

Aagh!  It's so annoying!  Following on from my posting last week
asking if anyone knew how to stop NCSA Telnet 2.3.2 defaulting to ^C
^S ^Q for interrupt/flow control (which conflicts with Emacs), I have
been looking through the code for the relevant bytes.  At offset $3c1a
in CODE resource Main I found:

11 7C 00 13 00 62
11 7C 00 11 00 63
11 7C 00 03 00 64

These are move.b instructions to store ^Q ^S and ^C somewhere.
Perfect!  This is the only place where the three bytes appear in such
sequence.  Unfortunately... patching them to FF makes no difference!!

Can anyone help?  If you have source, you could point us to where to
patch the binary!  Thanks!!

Tim
--

tjfs@tadtec.uucp        ...!uunet!mcvax!ukc!tadtec!tjfs
Tadpole Technology plc, Science Park, Milton Road, CAMBRIDGE, CB4 4WQ

Sowa@cms1.llnl.gov (Erik Sowa) (08/07/90)

In article <TJFS.90Aug6125859@tadtec.tadpole> tjfs@tadtec.tadpole (Tim
Steele) writes:
> Aagh!  It's so annoying!  Following on from my posting last week
> asking if anyone knew how to stop NCSA Telnet 2.3.2 defaulting to ^C
> ^S ^Q for interrupt/flow control (which conflicts with Emacs), I have
> been looking through the code for the relevant bytes.  At offset $3c1a
> in CODE resource Main I found:

Why don't you try the Setup Keys... item on the Session menu?
It's lots easier than hacking the code...

Erik Sowa (sowa@cms1.llnl.gov)
*****
That is my opinion, it is mine, and belongs to me and I own it, and what
it is too.

derek@leah.Albany.Edu (Derek L. / MacLover) (08/07/90)

From tjfs@tadtec.tadpole (Tim Steele) come these immortal words:
>Aagh!  It's so annoying!  Following on from my posting last week
>asking if anyone knew how to stop NCSA Telnet 2.3.2 defaulting to ^C
>^S ^Q for interrupt/flow control (which conflicts with Emacs), I have
>been looking through the code for the relevant bytes.  At offset $3c1a
>in CODE resource Main I found:
	[...]
>Can anyone help?  If you have source, you could point us to where to
>patch the binary!  Thanks!!

	Do it this way.  Edit your config.tel file, and add a line (under
your default session name, if you want it to apply to all of your sessions,
which says:

localkeys=off

	if you want it off completely, or change the values.
	I believe the default is:

localkeys="3,19,17"

	though I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

	If this has been said already, I apologize; our system went down
and the last weeks' messages have been purged.

>Tim

						Derek L.
--
+ +   One Mac is worth exactly 2.317 PCs (based on current price indices)   + +
	Disclaimer:  I was asleep.	---}=-----F-e-n-c-e-r----------`

dwal@ellis.uchicago.edu (David Walton) (08/07/90)

In article <TJFS.90Aug6125859@tadtec.tadpole> tjfs@tadtec.tadpole (Tim Steele) writes:
>Aagh!  It's so annoying!  Following on from my posting last week
>asking if anyone knew how to stop NCSA Telnet 2.3.2 defaulting to ^C
>^S ^Q for interrupt/flow control (which conflicts with Emacs), I have

Put the following line in your config.tel file:

localkeys = off	   # disable flow control so emacs doesn't get pissed

--

David Walton		Internet: dwal@midway.uchicago.edu
University of Chicago   {  Any opinions found herein are mine, not  }

roy@phri.nyu.edu (Roy Smith) (08/07/90)

>> Aagh!  It's so annoying!  Following on from my posting last week
>> asking if anyone knew how to stop NCSA Telnet 2.3.2 defaulting to ^C
>> ^S ^Q for interrupt/flow control (which conflicts with Emacs)

	It seems to me that what is needed is some way (possibly an
extension to the Telnet protocol?) for the host end to let the terminal end
know that the tty has been put into raw mode.  I don't see any fundemental
reason why this can't be done.  Comments?
455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016
roy@alanine.phri.nyu.edu -OR- {att,cmcl2,rutgers,hombre}!phri!roy
"Arcane?  Did you say arcane?  It wouldn't be Unix if it wasn't arcane!"

In article <1990Aug7.015958.19478@phri.nyu.edu> roy@phri.nyu.edu (Roy Smith) writes:
> 	It seems to me that what is needed is some way (possibly an
> extension to the Telnet protocol?) for the host end to let the terminal end
> know that the tty has been put into raw mode.  I don't see any fundemental
> reason why this can't be done.  Comments?

Linemode basically achieves this.

---Dan