[comp.protocols.appletalk] How much system file homogeneity is necessary?

bin@primate.wisc.edu (Brain in Neutral) (08/30/90)

(1) To what degree is it still true that Macintoshes on a LocalTalk network
must be running the same version of the System file, LaserPrep, etc.?
I presume that, e.g., System 6 is incompatible with System 5 and the usual
woes will occur.  What about various releases of System 6, e.g., 6.0.1 vs.
6.0.2?

(2) What about cases where more than one LT network is involved, e.g., two
nets connected over a bridge, or two nets that reach each other through
an intervening ethernet via tunneling?  What degree of system homogeneity
is necessary then?

(3) When the system is updated, what approaches might one take to avoid
running around to each Macintosh on the net, updating each one individually?

Paul DuBois
dubois@primate.wisc.edu

gtw@EXTRO.UCC.SU.OZ.AU (G Taylor-Wood) (08/30/90)

In a previous posting Paul DuBois asks:

	 (1) To what degree is it still true that Macintoshes on a LocalTalk
             network must be running the same version of the System file,
             LaserPrep, etc.? I presume that, e.g., System 6 is incompatible
             with System 5 and the usual woes will occur.  What about various
             releases of System 6, e.g., 6.0.1 vs.  6.0.2?

	 (2) What about cases where more than one LT network is involved,
             e.g., two nets connected over a bridge, or two nets that reach each
             other through an intervening ethernet via tunneling?  What degree
             of system homogeneity is necessary then?

I have always believed that the only area of incompatibility is LaserWriter
drivers, If different machines use different Laserprep's than the laserWriter
will be reset each time a print job arrives with a different Laserprep to the
previous job. Other than that it dosn't make any difference what versions of the
system different machines on the network are using.

	 (3) When the system is updated, what approaches might one take to
             avoid running around to each Macintosh on the net, updating each
             one individually?

I have been looking at the Installer by Apple, the latest version can use a
fileserver mounted over a network as a source for updates. You will still face
the difficulty of getting users to run the installer but at least you can load
updates to all your standard software in one easy hit. The only problem is
that the scripting language looks fairly nasty, does anybody have any experience
doing this sort of thing ?.

If you have a set of machines in a lab which all have a set of standard software
on tham than there a a couple of programs which make the local hard disk a
mirror of some master hard disk.

If anybody has any other solutions I would like to hear about them.

regards
  Gilbert.

----
Gilbert Taylor-Wood                          gtw@extro.ucc.su.OZ.AU
Faculty of Arts Programmer
The University of Sydney
NSW 2006                                     Ph (02) 692 4713

francis@giza.cis.ohio-state.edu (RD Francis) (08/30/90)

In article <3009@uakari.primate.wisc.edu> bin@primate.wisc.edu (Brain in Neutral) writes:
>(1) To what degree is it still true that Macintoshes on a LocalTalk network
>must be running the same version of the System file, LaserPrep, etc.?
>I presume that, e.g., System 6 is incompatible with System 5 and the usual
>woes will occur.  What about various releases of System 6, e.g., 6.0.1 vs.
>6.0.2?
>
>(2) What about cases where more than one LT network is involved, e.g., two
>nets connected over a bridge, or two nets that reach each other through
>an intervening ethernet via tunneling?  What degree of system homogeneity
>is necessary then?

To address your first two queries, I think you are slightly
misinformed.  To the best of my knowledge, you can run any combination
of system software available that will run the machines in use on your
LocalTalk network, or your combined network.  If one person is running
System 6.0.5, another is running alpha 7.0, and a third is running off
the system that cam ewith the Mac Plus when it first came out, Your
network will still function normally.

There *is* ONE potential problem; the LaserWriter driver (LaserWriter
and LaserPrep files).  If two people on your network are using
different versions of this, then each time someone goes to print who
is using a different LW driver from the last guy, the Mac will have to
re-initialize the printer.  You'll waste a sheet of paper, and some
time.  This is what is commonly known as LaserWriter Wars.  I do
recommend that everyone use the same version of the LW drivers.

However, this recommendation could change in a few years.  The 7.0 LW
driver is modularized in an effort to allow different people to print
to the same printer with different drivers without forcing the
LaserWriter to be reinitialized each time.  So if everyone is using
System 7.0 (or at least 7.0 LW software) or higher, it will truly not
make any difference at all which specific versions of the system each
person uses.
--
R David Francis   francis@cis.ohio-state.edu

bin@primate.wisc.edu (Brain in Neutral) (08/31/90)

From article <83369@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu>, by francis@giza.cis.ohio-state.edu (RD Francis):
> In article <3009@uakari.primate.wisc.edu> bin@primate.wisc.edu (Brain in Neutral) writes:
>>(1) To what degree is it still true that Macintoshes on a LocalTalk network
>>must be running the same version of the System file, LaserPrep, etc.?
>>I presume that, e.g., System 6 is incompatible with System 5 and the usual
>>woes will occur.  What about various releases of System 6, e.g., 6.0.1 vs.
>>6.0.2?

> To address your first two queries, I think you are slightly
> misinformed.  To the best of my knowledge, you can run any combination
> of system software ...

Quite probably true.  My impression was formed because in the dim past I
used to use the services of a public lab that insisted everybody use their
boot disks to enforce a consistent version of the System.  Perhaps this was
just conservatism on their part.  I'm glad to hear the requirements are not
quite so stringent.

Paul DuBois
dubois@primate.wisc.edu