[comp.protocols.appletalk] AppleShare PC woes

marinell@Iris1.UCIS.Dal.Ca (Kevin Marinelli) (08/29/90)

   I find that the Apple LocalTalk PC card is very flakey in my 386. If I
try to use it with polled drivers, it hangs the machine or refuses to work
properly every time I use it. I have set the dip switches to the recomended
and secondary switch settings to no avail.

   I have had a lot of success with the card when it is interupt driven. I
can print with absolutly no problem the first time I send something to the
printer, but thye second time I print, it has a 90% or greater probability
of hanging at that point.

   I would like to know if anyone has an MLID for a Western Digital WD8003E
ethernet card, so that I can bypass using the Apple LocalTalk PC card. This
will potentially help because it may be the LocalTalk card that is the source
of the problems, and I would like to get access to my second com port back.

   I think that it is very unfortunate that the LocalTalk card can only
be set to IRQ 2,3 or 4. This is a real problem for anyone who is using two
serial ports, especially for people who have mice and also want to use
communications programs (i.e. Kermit)
programs at the same time.

Kevin Marinelli
Dalhousie University

shoemake@Apple.COM (Mike Shoemaker) (08/30/90)

marinell@Iris1.UCIS.Dal.Ca (Kevin Marinelli) writes:

>   I find that the Apple LocalTalk PC card is very flakey in my 386. If I
>try to use it with polled drivers, it hangs the machine or refuses to work
>properly every time I use it. I have set the dip switches to the recomended
>and secondary switch settings to no avail.

>   I have had a lot of success with the card when it is interupt driven. I
>can print with absolutly no problem the first time I send something to the
>printer, but thye second time I print, it has a 90% or greater probability
>of hanging at that point.

>   I would like to know if anyone has an MLID for a Western Digital WD8003E
>ethernet card, so that I can bypass using the Apple LocalTalk PC card. This
>will potentially help because it may be the LocalTalk card that is the source
>of the problems, and I would like to get access to my second com port back.

>   I think that it is very unfortunate that the LocalTalk card can only
>be set to IRQ 2,3 or 4. This is a real problem for anyone who is using two
>serial ports, especially for people who have mice and also want to use
>communications programs (i.e. Kermit)
>programs at the same time.

>Kevin Marinelli
>Dalhousie University

Does your '386 run the bus at greater than 8MHz clock speed?  The LocalTalk
PC card is beligerant at bus speeds greater than 8MHz. (As are many other
add-in cards.)

Also, if you have a 33MHz '386, there have been similar problems reported.

I don't know of any MLID's for Western Digital Cards.  The DayStar Digital
LocalTalk PC card (Model LT200PC and LT200MC) are supported by AppleShare
PC.  They have an on-board Z80 which speeds throughput (10%) and puts
less burden on the host CPU.  It is a polled only card and requires no
interrupts nor DMA channels.

Mike Shoemaker
Network Connectivity Development
Apple Computer, Inc.

marinell@Iris1.UCIS.Dal.Ca (Kevin Marinelli) (08/31/90)

In article <44394@apple.Apple.COM> shoemake@Apple.COM (Mike Shoemaker) writes:
>marinell@Iris1.UCIS.Dal.Ca (Kevin Marinelli) writes:
>

>Does your '386 run the bus at greater than 8MHz clock speed?  The LocalTalk
>PC card is beligerant at bus speeds greater than 8MHz. (As are many other
>add-in cards.)

   As with most AT or 386 machines, yes my computer runs faster than 8Mhz. It
can run at 10 or 16Mhz. Both speeds are > 8MHz.

>Also, if you have a 33MHz '386, there have been similar problems reported.

   I seem to have gotten arround most of the flakeyness in the card by
setting the buffers and memory space used by AppleTalk to higher than normal
values in the NET.CFG.  I have not had a system crash in 2 days that can be
attributed to the AppleShare software. Initially, when installed according
to the directions in the manuals it would crash my system each time it was
used.

>I don't know of any MLID's for Western Digital Cards.  The DayStar Digital
>LocalTalk PC card (Model LT200PC and LT200MC) are supported by AppleShare
>PC.  They have an on-board Z80 which speeds throughput (10%) and puts
>less burden on the host CPU.  It is a polled only card and requires no
>interrupts nor DMA channels.

    Too bad, I was looking forward to seeing if the software would be more
stable in an ethernet  environment.  Is there any probability of Apple
developing an MLID that uses a packet driver to do the interfacing to the
I/O card?  That would be a great enhancement to the AppleShare product,
 because packet drivers exist for several ethernet cards that are not
supported by Apple and you would only have to write one MLID to add "support"
for those extra cards.
.

>Mike Shoemaker
>Network Connectivity Development
>Apple Computer, Inc.

Kevin Marinelli

shoemake@Apple.COM (Mike Shoemaker) (09/01/90)

marinell@Iris1.UCIS.Dal.Ca (Kevin Marinelli) writes:

>In article <44394@apple.Apple.COM> shoemake@Apple.COM (Mike Shoemaker) writes:
>>marinell@Iris1.UCIS.Dal.Ca (Kevin Marinelli) writes:
>>

>>Does your '386 run the bus at greater than 8MHz clock speed?  The LocalTalk
>>PC card is beligerant at bus speeds greater than 8MHz. (As are many other
>>add-in cards.)
>>
>   As with most AT or 386 machines, yes my computer runs faster than 8Mhz. It
>can run at 10 or 16Mhz. Both speeds are > 8MHz.

>Kevin Marinelli

I actually have used a couple of PC's in my lifetime and do understand that
most AT-class and '386 machines run the processor faster than 8MHz.  But
please reread the question.  Does the BUS run at greater than 8MHz clock speed?

On very few machines these days does the processor clock speed equal the
expansion bus speed.

Mike Shoemaker

billkatt@mondo.engin.umich.edu (billkatt) (09/01/90)

In article <1990Aug31.040623.20900@nstn.ns.ca> marinell@Iris1.UCIS.Dal.Ca (Kevin Marinelli) writes:
>In article <44394@apple.Apple.COM> shoemake@Apple.COM (Mike Shoemaker) writes:
>>marinell@Iris1.UCIS.Dal.Ca (Kevin Marinelli) writes:
>>

>>Does your '386 run the bus at greater than 8MHz clock speed?  The LocalTalk
>>PC card is beligerant at bus speeds greater than 8MHz. (As are many other
>>add-in cards.)
>>
>   As with most AT or 386 machines, yes my computer runs faster than 8Mhz. It
>can run at 10 or 16Mhz. Both speeds are > 8MHz.

No, in AT and higher machines, the bus usually runs at half the speed of the
processor (read almost always).  This was so that cards designed for the PC to
run at its full 4.77Mhz bus rate would run in the AT's 3Mhz bus (6Mhz/2=3Mhz).
So, most certainly your bus runs at 4,5, or 8 Mhz.

Steve Bollinger                                                    ____/|
909 Church St. Apt C                                               \ o.O|
Ann Arbor, Mi. 48104                                                =(_)=
(313)-662-4073 -home (313)-763-3070 -work                             U
billkatt@mondo.engin.umich.edu                              -ACK ACK ACK ACK!
                                                              "thhhhppppttt!"

marinell@Iris1.UCIS.Dal.Ca (Kevin Marinelli) (09/05/90)

   As was pointed out, the bus speed in my PC is 8MHz. What I meant to say
was when the clock speed of the PC is greater than 8Mhz.

   I have solved my problems with the AppleTalk card for my PC. It turns out
that on faster systems the buffer and mempool size should be increased by
about 25% over the recomended sizes. I am not quite certain why, all
of the systems, various Everex and Zenith PCs, there are no longer any
problems at all.

Kevin Marinelli