[comp.protocols.appletalk] What is CAP?

randy@june.cs.washington.edu (William Randy Day) (06/21/88)

Sorry if this has been asked before, but:

What is CAP? What does it stand for? What is its function?

Thanks,
Randy Day.
Internet (ARPA): randy@cs.washington.edu
CSNET: randy%washington@relay.cs.net
UUCP: {decvax|ihnp4}!uw-beaver!uw-june!randy

westerma@fuhainf2.uucp (Gerhard Westerman) (09/07/90)

Sorry for a novice's question but we need the following information.
Can anybody tell us, what CAP is?
We heard about it together with the Fastpath box.

Thanx in advance.

steve@antares.anu.oz.au (Steven Ball) (09/11/90)

westerma@fuhainf2.uucp (Gerhard Westerman) writes:

>Sorry for a novice's question but we need the following information.
>Can anybody tell us, what CAP is?

CAP (Columbia AppleShare Protocol) is a suite of libraries and applications that
turn your Unix box into an AppleShare file server.  It also allows your Unix box
to print to LaserWriters on the AppleTalk network, it allows your Macs to print to
LaserWriters serially connected to your Unix box, automagically backs up your Mac
hard disks onto the Unix file system, plus other useful tidbits.

CAP is public-domain.  There is a commercial product called K-Ashare from Mt Xinu.
Contact David Burke, burk@mtxinu.com, for the sales-pitch.

>We heard about it together with the Fastpath box.

You might also like to investigate the Webster Multigate.  It has _four_ localtalk
ports instead of the KBox's single pathetic port.  It bridges between these ports
and gates them all onto the ethernet.  In Australia it costs about the same.

Also find out about the Cayman GatorBox.  It translates the AppleShare protocol
to/from NFS protocol, so there's no need to run software (ie CAP) on your Unix box.
Again, it only has one localtalk port.  I have also heard that it has performance
problems...but don't take my word on it, as I have never seen one.

Contact Tom Evans, tom@wcc.oz.au, for the sales pitch on Multigates.

>Thanx in advance.
That's OK!

Steven Ball, Department of Computer Science, ANU
E-mail: steve@anucsd.anu.oz.au		Ph. (06) 2495147
Snail-mail: GPO Box 4, CANBERRA CITY ACT 2600, AUSTRALIA
           He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy!