[comp.protocols.appletalk] MacX TCP tool?

Ravinder.Chandhok@GENIE.MACGNOME.CS.CMU.EDU (08/24/90)

I seem to have been given a copy of MacX to evaluate, but don't know
where (or if I can) find a TCP tool for the Comm Toolbox.

I have seen the posts going by regarding a TCP tool, so I am
guessing that there isn't one from Apple.  Is this true?  If so,
is this why I haven't heard squat about MacX?

Rob
chandhok+@cs.cmu.edu

lefty@TWG.COM (08/24/90)

Ravinder.Chandhok@genie.macgnome.cs.cmu.edu writes:

>I seem to have been given a copy of MacX to evaluate, but don't know
>where (or if I can) find a TCP tool for the Comm Toolbox.
>
>I have seen the posts going by regarding a TCP tool, so I am
>guessing that there isn't one from Apple.  Is this true?  If so,
>is this why I haven't heard squat about MacX?

In the Beta version of MacX that I had (several whiles ago) the MacTCP Comm
ToolBox tool was included.  I believe it _was_ from Apple...

Best,

Lefty

|<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>|
|           David N. Schlesinger || "When I have nothing to say,       |
|           The Wollongong Group ||  my lips are sealed;               |
| Internet: Lefty@twg.com        ||  say something once,               |
|    DoD #: 0152                 ||  why say it again?" -- David Byrne |
|<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>|

matt@pacvax.UUCP (Matt Kingman) (08/24/90)

MacX includes (is supposed to include) a MacTCP connection tool.

Matt Kingman - Macintosh Software Engineer
Pacer Software Inc. - Westboro, MA 01581
Disclaimer:  I speak only for myself.....

kdb@macaw.intercon.com (Kurt Baumann) (08/25/90)

In article <Added.wap34eq00UkTEJxk9D@andrew.cmu.edu>,
Ravinder.Chandhok@GENIE.MACGNOME.CS.CMU.EDU writes:
> I seem to have been given a copy of MacX to evaluate, but don't know
> where (or if I can) find a TCP tool for the Comm Toolbox.
>
> I have seen the posts going by regarding a TCP tool, so I am
> guessing that there isn't one from Apple.  Is this true?  If so,
> is this why I haven't heard squat about MacX?
>
> Rob
> chandhok+@cs.cmu.edu

There was one from Apple that came with earlier version of MacX.  Currently
there is a shipping commercial tool out by a company in France (can't recall
their name off hand), the package name is TCPack.  We are in the late beta
stages with our TCP Tool, which should be out sometime in early October.
Talk to whoever gave you the copy of MacX, because they should have a TCPTool
for you to use.

Kurt
--
Kurt Baumann
703.709.9890

lefty@TWG.COM (08/25/90)

Kurt Baumann <intercon!news@uunet.uu.net> writes:

>In article <Added.wap34eq00UkTEJxk9D@andrew.cmu.edu>,
>Ravinder.Chandhok@GENIE.MACGNOME.CS.CMU.EDU writes:
>> I seem to have been given a copy of MacX to evaluate, but don't know
>> where (or if I can) find a TCP tool for the Comm Toolbox.
>>
>> I have seen the posts going by regarding a TCP tool, so I am
>> guessing that there isn't one from Apple.  Is this true?  If so,
>> is this why I haven't heard squat about MacX?
>>
>> Rob
>> chandhok+@cs.cmu.edu
>
>There was one from Apple that came with earlier version of MacX.  Currently
>there is a shipping commercial tool out by a company in France (can't recall
>their name off hand), the package name is TCPack.  We are in the late beta
>stages with our TCP Tool, which should be out sometime in early October.
>Talk to whoever gave you the copy of MacX, because they should have a TCPTool
>for you to use.

The name of the company is Advanced Software Concepts, and I don't have
their address in front of me, but their AppleLink ID is "ADV.SOFT".

I would note that ASC's Comm Toolbox tool is a _telnet_ connection manager
tool, and is probably not interchangeable with the raw TCP tool supplied
with the MacX beta...

Best,

Lefty

|<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>|

an12280@mdaali.cancer.utexas.edu (David Gutierrez) (08/29/90)

In article <197@pacvax.UUCP> matt@pacvax.UUCP (Matt Kingman) writes:
> MacX includes (is supposed to include) a MacTCP connection tool.

If MacX ever ships. I've been asking about it for almost a year now, and I
never get definite answers about shipping date or where I can buy it. I've
been using an alpha version (which I *didn't* get from Apple for several months now and like it better than eXodus, but...

I recently heard a rumor going around NASA that Apple has decided to offer
MacX because they must, but do not plan to support it. Instead, they will
suggest that people run A/UX. I don't want to use up 150 MB of disk space
just to run X windows on my Mac. MacX, with its font files, takes up less
than 2 MB of disk and doesn't require another operating system which is
incompatible with many of my programs and INITs.

David Gutierrez
an12280@mdaali.cancer.utexas.edu

"Only fools are positive." - Moe Howard

And DON'T tell me that DEC will include MacX as part of LANworks. I don't want to put 800 Macs on DECnet and our local DEC office doesn't want to hear from us unless we're ordering a new Vax or an upgrade for an existing one. Besides, no one there knows any thing about them McIntoshes.

mst@mx.csun.edu (Michael Temkin) (08/30/90)

In article <4074@lib.tmc.edu> an12280@mdaali.cancer.utexas.edu (David Gutierrez) writes:
>In article <197@pacvax.UUCP> matt@pacvax.UUCP (Matt Kingman) writes:
>> MacX includes (is supposed to include) a MacTCP connection tool.
>
>I recently heard a rumor going around NASA that Apple has decided to offer
>MacX because they must, but do not plan to support it. Instead, they will
>suggest that people run A/UX.
>
>David Gutierrez

Don't believe everything you hear.  MacX will not only be supported, but
it will be their ONLY access to X that IS supported.  Apple keeps pushing
how A/UX is supposed to be so Finder compatible, that they recommend MacX
running in the background.  I have talked to our Apple rep. and she said
that it is shipping.  University site license is $2,500, and that includes
an implied site license for MacTCP.

Mike.

--
Mike Temkin
mst@csun.edu

Ravinder.Chandhok@CS.CMU.EDU (Rob Chandhok) (08/30/90)

Here's what I think the situation is:

* Apple is supporting MacX

* MacX is shipping, but is usually bundled with AU/X 2.0, so its announcement
  went unnoticed by many people.

* MacX seems to work

* MacX solves a lot of problems for campus' like CMU's.

* MacX requires the Communications Toolbox and MacTCP to be useful in an IP
  world.

Here are the questions, I would love some answers from Apple on this one.

* Is there a site license for MacX?  If so, how much ?  Is $2500 about right?

* MacX requires the Communication Toolbox.  Is that part of the site license
  or is it a separate deal?  If so, how much for that?

* MacX requires MacTCP to be useful at most sites (sorry, there aren't many
  ADSP based X servers out there). Is that part of the site license or is it a
  separate deal?  If so, how much for that?

Any information is welcome!

Rob

bell@pyro.ei.dupont.com (Mike Bell) (08/30/90)

In article <4074@lib.tmc.edu> an12280@mdaali.cancer.utexas.edu (David Gutierrez) writes:
>In article <197@pacvax.UUCP> matt@pacvax.UUCP (Matt Kingman) writes:
>> MacX includes (is supposed to include) a MacTCP connection tool.
>
>If MacX ever ships. I've been asking about it for almost a year now, and I
>never get definite answers about shipping date or where I can buy it. I've
>been using an alpha version (which I *didn't* get from Apple for several months now and like it better than eXodus, but...
>
>I recently heard a rumor going around NASA that Apple has decided to offer
>MacX because they must, but do not plan to support it. Instead, they will
>suggest that people run A/UX. I don't want to use up 150 MB of disk space
>just to run X windows on my Mac. MacX, with its font files, takes up less
>than 2 MB of disk and doesn't require another operating system which is
>incompatible with many of my programs and INITs.
>

>David Gutierrez
>an12280@mdaali.cancer.utexas.edu
>
>"Only fools are positive." - Moe Howard
>

>And DON'T tell me that DEC will include MacX as part of LANworks. I don't want to put 800 Macs on DECnet and our local DEC office doesn't want to hear from us unless we're ordering a new Vax or an upgrade for an existing one. Besides, no one there knows any thing about them McIntoshes.

      Not only is MacX shipping(I have a release copy on my desk), the
support from Apple for the product has been great. I also had an alpha
copy (through LEGAL means), and the additions made to the final copy
are substantial in both features and speed. I'm not using it with DEC
stuff; it works just fine over TCP/IP with out own MacBLITZ Unix nubus
card for the mac.

     I would highly recommend MacX over eXodus; it is faster, cheaper
and has more features.....

			Mike Bell

Mike Bell                                Internet: mike_bell@zip.ei.dupont.com
Senior Engineer                          CSNet: BELLMA%ERVX01@dupont.com
DuPont Electronic Imaging 		 Applelink: D2747
Core Technology Group

    MacBLITZ..... When you feel the need for speed..........

an12280@MDAALI.CANCER.UTEXAS.EDU (David Gutierrez) (08/31/90)

Thanks for your response. Our Apple rep has been on sabbatical for the past
two months and hasn't caught up with her backlog of work. I'll call her and
get the appropriate info for licensing.

David Gutierrez
an12280@mdaali.cancer.utexas.edu

an12280@mdaali.cancer.utexas.edu (David Gutierrez) (08/31/90)

Thanks to all those who responded on MacX.  As usual, it's much easier to
get this kind of info through the net than through Apple channels (our
Apple rep just got back from a two-month sabbatical). I'll check on site
licensing for MacX.

To Mike Bell, with DuPont Electronic Imaging:
We didn't get our alpha MacX illegally. It was given to me by a friend who
hadn't signed a non-disclosure agreement before he got it from Apple and
he gave it to me on the advice of an Apple employee.

David Gutierrez

ianh@bhpmrl.oz.au (Ian Hoyle) (08/31/90)

Ravinder.Chandhok@CS.CMU.EDU (Rob Chandhok) writes:

>Here's what I think the situation is:

>* Apple is supporting MacX

>* MacX is shipping, but is usually bundled with AU/X 2.0, so its announcement
>  went unnoticed by many people.

>* MacX seems to work

Well I've playing around with MacX for a couple of months now (we are beta
testing the new DEC LANworks for Mac stuff & MacX comes with it). It *does*
work - the version I have is 1.01a so I think there will be even newer
versions around now.

>* MacX requires the Communications Toolbox and MacTCP to be useful in an IP
>  world.

You are right, it does need the new comms toolbox goodies, but has lots of
flexibility in the protocols it can use for it's connections because of that,
ie. TCP/IP (MacTCP), LAT, ADSP, DECnet etc.

--
                Ian Hoyle
     /\/\       Image Processing & Data Analysis Group

matsu@is.s.u-tokyo.ac.jp (MATSUOKA Satoshi) (09/12/90)

In article <1990Aug29.172633.3490@csun.edu> mst@mx.csun.edu (Michael Temkin) writes:

 >Don't believe everything you hear.  MacX will not only be supported, but
 >it will be their ONLY access to X that IS supported.  Apple keeps pushing
 >how A/UX is supposed to be so Finder compatible, that they recommend MacX
 >running in the background.  I have talked to our Apple rep. and she said
 >that it is shipping.  University site license is $2,500, and that includes
 >an implied site license for MacTCP.

How does Apple plan to support us foreign users/universities regarding
MacX? For instance, in Japan, since they have not shipped A/UX 2.0
yet, and MacX is not offered through the APDA or any other commercial
sales channels, it is still impossible to obtain one (legally).  As a
result, we are using eXodus (version 2.0 is a lot better than 1.1, but
I hate losing the command/option keys as meta-keys on three-button
mouse emulation).

The number of Macintoshes and Unix workstations are growing very
rapidly at the University of Tokyo. I feel that MacX (along with NCSA
Telnet and CAP) would serve as a good connectivity tool and will be
widely used.

The questions are,

1. Is there a way to obtain MacX legally in Japan? (or elsewhere?)

2. If so, is there a single site licence available, or do we have to
obtain a site licebnce?

3. If not, when will it be available?

Any answers are appreciated.

					Satoshi Matsuoka
					Research Faculty
					Dept. of Information Science
					The University of Tokyo
E-mail:	matsu@is.s.u-tokyo.ac.jp
(If above fails then try matsu%is.s.u-tokyo.junet@relay.cs.net)
Physical mail: 7-3-1 Bunkyo-ku, Hongo, Tokyo, Japan 113
Office: +81-3-812-2111 ex. 4108 (8:30-18:00 JST)
Direct line to lab., automatically switches audio/fax: +81-3-5689-4365