[comp.protocols.appletalk] Is there appletalk support in Ultrix 4.0? And if not...

mf@ircam.ircam.fr (Michel Fingerhut) (08/31/90)

... does anyone have the required patches to the kernel to have it there?

Michael Fingerhut
mf@ircam.ircam.fr

mogul@wrl.dec.com (Jeffrey Mogul) (09/01/90)

In article <1990Aug31.070826.23080@ircam.ircam.fr> mf@ircam.ircam.fr (Michel Fingerhut) writes:
>... does anyone have the required patches to the kernel to have it there?

I've heard a rumor that someone (perhaps at Columbia?  I've forgotten)
has done Appletalk support for Ultrix using the packet filter (which
is available in Ultrix 4.0).  Or perhaps the rumor was that it had
been done for the Stanford packet filter, which essentially the same
code.

At any rate, a packet-filter-based Appletalk should be usable on
Ultrix 4.0 without any kernel changes; the performance should be
acceptable.  Also, any implementation based on Sun's NIT interface
should be fairly easy to port.

If anyone has better information about this, please send me mail
(I don't normally read comp.protocols.appletalk).

-Jeff

mst@mx.csun.edu (Michael Temkin) (09/01/90)

In article <1990Aug31.233451.3638@wrl.dec.com> mogul@wrl.dec.com (Jeffrey Mogul) writes:
>In article <1990Aug31.070826.23080@ircam.ircam.fr> mf@ircam.ircam.fr (Michel Fingerhut) writes:
>>... does anyone have the required patches to the kernel to have it there?
>I've heard a rumor that someone (perhaps at Columbia?  I've forgotten)
>has done Appletalk support for Ultrix using the packet filter (which
>is available in Ultrix 4.0).  Or perhaps the rumor was that it had
>been done for the Stanford packet filter, which essentially the same
>code.
>-Jeff

I just installed PacerShare/PacerLink on 3.1, and it is also supposed to
work on 4.0.  I haven't yet really gotten into it, and you do have to pay
for it, but it should do the trick.  When I have more info, I will let
you all know, that is unless someone from Pacer would like to get in
on the discussion...(hint, hint) :-)

Mike.

--
Mike Temkin
mst@csun.edu

dsg@mbunix.mitre.org (Goldberg) (09/02/90)

In addition to Pacer, I seem to recall Mt. Xinu offering a package
similar to TOPS from Sun that would run under Ultrix.  We nearly
bought it (this was back under Ultrix 2.2), but decided there wasn't
enough local demand to justify having it (we already ran TOPS on
several Suns).
--
Dave Goldberg                     UNIX Systems Programmer/Administrator
The Mitre Corporation   MS B020   Bedford, MA 01730        617-271-2460

jeremym@syma.sussex.ac.uk (Jeremy Maris) (09/03/90)

I understand that DEC will have an Ultrix version of Lanworks for the
Macintosh out soon (not based on Alisa code, but someone elses...).
We use CAP with UAB, which provides the packet filter - you can ftp this
from rutgers.edu (in src/uab+.tar.Z)

Jeremy
--
Jeremy Maris,Experimental Psychology,University of Sussex,Brighton,England.
Janet: jeremym@uk.ac.sussex.syma  Nsfnet: jeremym@syma.sussex.ac.uk

jpm@cs.hut.fi (Jussi-Pekka Mantere) (09/07/90)

In article <1990Aug31.070826.23080@ircam.ircam.fr> Michel Fingerhut
  <mf@ircam.ircam.fr> writes:

   ... does anyone have the required patches to the kernel to have it there?

You might give Helios Software GmbH a call. They have a product called
EtherShare which is basically an AFP compatible fileserver for Unix.
It comes also with printing support (LocalTalk, RS232 and "TCP/IP"
connections). Their price list includes also an AppleTalk Toolkit,
which "is a programmer's library for Unix systems. AppleTalk protocols
DDP, ATP, PAP, ZIP, NBP, ADSP are supported."

Both of these run (at least) on Sun 3s, 4s and on the 386i, on Sony NEWS
1700-1900s and on Digital VAX and MIPS cpus, and costs btw. 5260-7890 DM.
Which OSs? Go ahead, give them a call. I haven't used the product, all
the above is from their brochure and price list.

Helios Software GmbH
Lavesstrasse 80
D-3000 Hannover 1
Germany
phone +49-511-36 81 093
fax   +49-511-36 81 095

--
Jussi-Pekka Mantere	jpm@cs.hut.fi
Lahnaruohontie 7 A 12	SF-00200  Helsinki, Finland

scout@pacvax.UUCP (Peter Coppola) (09/12/90)

In article <1990Sep1.052839.14549@csun.edu> mst@mx.csun.edu (Michael
Temkin) writes:
> that is unless someone from Pacer would like to get in
> on the discussion...(hint, hint) :-)

PacerShare, our AFP 2.0 compatible file server, is available for Ultrix
4.0 systems both RISC and VAX.  The one caveat is there seems to be a
problem running on SMP class machines.  This seems to be DECs problem
since there wasn't supposed to be any difference to us, but we are still
looking into it.  The shipping version of PacerShare is a Phase 1 product,
I expect our Phase II Ultrix product in 4-6 weeks.

Print support via our PacerPrint product is also available.

Peter Coppola
AppleLink: PACER
UUNET: ...!pacvax!pcoppola
"Quality software tastefully presented."