[comp.protocols.appletalk] SLIP for Macintosh ..???

STELLABO@CSHLAB.BITNET (09/12/90)

Request for Ideas ....

I am trying to setup a Macintosh off campus with a modem and software
to allow me to run TCP/IP applications such as HostAccess on the Mac.
In other words I would like some sort of "SLIP" for the Mac.  I am
also looking for ideas on the Campus side.  We have Suns connected to
an ethernet. Is it better to setup SLIP on a Sun serial port and
connect the Mac right to the Sun or is there some device around that
will attach right to the ethernet. Our file goal is to write TCP/IP
socket applications on the Mac to connect with various Database
products running on the Sun using TCP/IP socket drivers over a public
phone line.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Fred J. Stellabotte - Computer Systems Manager
Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory
stellabo@cshlab.bitnet

kdb@macaw.intercon.com (Kurt Baumann) (09/14/90)

In article <Added.Qaveqzy00Ui38GVE84@andrew.cmu.edu>, STELLABO@CSHLAB.BITNET
writes:

> Request for Ideas ....
>
> I am trying to setup a Macintosh off campus with a modem and software
> to allow me to run TCP/IP applications such as HostAccess on the Mac.
> In other words I would like some sort of "SLIP" for the Mac.  I am
> also looking for ideas on the Campus side.  We have Suns connected to
> an ethernet. Is it better to setup SLIP on a Sun serial port and
> connect the Mac right to the Sun or is there some device around that
> will attach right to the ethernet. Our file goal is to write TCP/IP
> socket applications on the Mac to connect with various Database
> products running on the Sun using TCP/IP socket drivers over a public
> phone line.
>
> Thanks for your help in advance.
>
> Fred J. Stellabotte - Computer Systems Manager
> Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory
> stellabo@cshlab.bitnet

Well first off, TCP/Connect II has builtin SLIP capabilities, but I see that
you have HostAccess (sigh).  This is too bad on two accounts, one you could
have gotten TCP/Connect II, two you have TCPort instead of MacTCP.  There
will undoubtably be a SLIP driver for MacTCP within the next couple of months,
I don't know of a PD SLIP for MacTCP currently.

Your best bet is to connect the Mac directly to the SUN and let the SUN handle
the SLIP.  While keeping an eye on the Mac market and waiting until there
is a SLIP for MacTCP available.  That will most likely happen within the
next two to three months, I would venture a guess.

I don't think that there is a SLIP available for TCPort.

--
Kurt Baumann                       InterCon Systems Corporation
703.709.9890                      Creators of fine TCP/IP products