[comp.protocols.appletalk] What is the difference between Phase I and Phase II ? Compatible ?

warren@cs.stanford.edu (Mark A. Warren) (09/14/90)

Perhaps I am woefully under-informed, but what are the differences between
Appletalk Phase I and Phase II?

Sources for information? Tech notes about the update?

Thanks,

Mark Warren

 /Mark A. Warren  |Rains Box 12      | warren+@ir.stanford.edu     \
| Stanford AIR    |Stanford, CA 94305| decwrl!orchid!warren         |
| (415) 723-5762 W|(415) 497-4816  H | warren%orchid@stanford.bitnet|
 \________________|__________________|_____________________________/

rickf@Apple.COM (Rick Fleischman) (09/15/90)

In article <WARREN.90Sep13182142@Neon.stanford.edu> warren@cs.stanford.edu (Mark A. Warren) writes:
>Perhaps I am woefully under-informed, but what are the differences between
>Appletalk Phase I and Phase II?

There are two sources of information about AppleTalk Phase 2:
1)  Addison-Wesley Publishing Company has published Inside AppleTalk, Second
Edition.  It is a revision of the Inside AppleTalk book and it completely
covers AppleTalk Phase 2.

Inside AppleTalk, Second Edition is available in Technical Bookstores as well
as through APDA: P/N: C0078LL/A, Price: $34.95

2)  For people who already own Inside AppleTalk, First Edition, there is a
delta document available through APDA called: AppleTalk Phase 2 Protocol
Specification: An Addendum to Inside AppleTalk.  It specifically covers the
differences between AppleTalk Phases 1 and 2.  This document is only available
through APDA: P/N: C0144LL/A, Price: $20.00

You can reach APDA at:
(800) 282-2732 (in the U.S.)
(800) 637-0029 (in Canada)
(408) 562-3910 (elsewhere)