[comp.protocols.appletalk] MacMH and POP...

moyman@HARBOR.ECN.PURDUE.EDU (James M Moya) (09/18/90)

I just started messing with MacMH4.0, MH on the UNIX side is 6.6, pop is
configured with the RPOP option.

I can retreive mail from my mailbox with no problem.  When I try and send
however, I get something like "Could not complete "Send Memo" command because
the user is not recognized by the POP server".  My Mac makes the connection to
the SMTP server (which happens to be the same host popd is running on)
all right, but fails to send the memo.  I can't see why POP would have anything
to do with *sending* the mail, I thought it was used just to receive mail.

The kicker is this used to work with the MacMH that was distributed with
MacIP 3.0??  (it been a long time since I messed with MacMH)

Another Question: We use sendmail here...
Do I *have* to make the changes to sendmail.cf if I am using RPOP, it doesn't
seem like I would need to...

Mike Moya
Engineering Computer Network
Purdue University

ccjoan@aggie.ucdavis.edu (Joan Gargano) (09/19/90)

In article <9009181508.AA25588@harbor.ecn.purdue.edu> moyman@HARBOR.ECN.PURDUE.EDU (James M Moya) writes:

>I just started messing with MacMH4.0, MH on the UNIX side is 6.6, pop is
>configured with the RPOP option.
>
>I can retreive mail from my mailbox with no problem.  When I try and send
>however, I get something like "Could not complete "Send Memo" command because
>the user is not recognized by the POP server".  My Mac makes the connection to
>the SMTP server (which happens to be the same host popd is running on)
>all right, but fails to send the memo.  I can't see why POP would have anything
>to do with *sending* the mail, I thought it was used just to receive mail.

We ran in to this problem.  It is a problem with how the Macintosh
mailer identifies itself to the SMTP server.  We got a new version
from Stanford to fix this.

We also had the problem that the Mac pop3 client uses the pop2 port number.
We have this changed to use the pop3 port number in our version of MacMH.

Joan Gargano