[comp.protocols.appletalk] address finders / white pages

PETER@YALEVM.BITNET (Peter Furmonavicius) (09/13/90)

Hello.  We are interested in seeing what we can do as far as having a
"white pages" for folks here at Yale University.  I would like to know
if anyone might have information regarding server and/or client software.
This would be a way for someone sitting at their Mac (or other platform)
composing an e-mail memo to look up the address of a collegue or someone
else who is registered with the server.

Is anyone doing this sort of thing at their site?  Thanks.

[ Yale University Computer Center ]      Peter Furmonavicius
[ 175 Whitney Avenue              ]      Senior Research Programmer
[ P.O. Box 2112                   ]            ^ Macintosh  :-)
[ New Haven, CT  06520            ]      (203) 432-6600

wnn@ornl.gov (Wolfgang N. Naegeli) (09/15/90)

In article <Added.wavwa1a00Ui3M=xk9x@andrew.cmu.edu> PETER@YALEVM.BITNET
(Peter Furmonavicius) writes:
> We are interested in seeing what we can do as far as having a
> "white pages" for folks here at Yale University.  I would like to know
> if anyone might have information regarding server and/or client software.
> This would be a way for someone sitting at their Mac (or other platform)
> composing an e-mail memo to look up the address of a collegue or someone
> else who is registered with the server.
>
> Is anyone doing this sort of thing at their site?

We are using the "White Pages" Name Server (you can give it another name)
that comes with CE Software's QuickMail. The server is an INIT that runs
in the background on any Mac.
The NameFinder is a small INIT that implements the client side. The user
interface for it is built into QuckMail.  It works very well.
The name server can be set to periodically scan all mail center user lists
and update its database automatically.  You can also define and add your
own fields to the database.

Wolfgang N. Naegeli
Internet: wnn@ornl.gov    Bitnet: wnn@ornlstc
Phone: 615-574-6143       Fax: 615-574-6141
QuickMail (QM-QM): Wolfgang Naegeli @ 615-574-4510
Snail:  Oak Ridge National Laboratory, Oak Ridge, TN 37831-6206

pclark@SRC.Honeywell.COM (Peter Clark) (09/15/90)

The U of Minn also has an address finder (called, strangely enough, address
finder). It's a Hypercard stack that implements a client of the UIUC CSU
Nameserver program.

The Nameserver was written by the great Steve Dorner and is ftp-able (I don't
know the address offhand- maybe csu.uiuc.edu?), and the client is ftp-able
from boombox.micro.umn.edu (under pub/addfinder).

	good luck.
		Pete Clark

dorner@pequod.cso.uiuc.edu (Steve Dorner) (09/21/90)

In article <91406@srcsip.UUCP> pclark@SRC.Honeywell.COM (Peter Clark) writes:
>The Nameserver was written by Steve Dorner and is ftp-able (I don't
>know the address offhand- maybe csu.uiuc.edu?), and the client is ftp-able
>from boombox.micro.umn.edu (under pub/addfinder).

The CSO Nameserver is on uxc.cso.uiuc.edu, in the net/qi subdirectory.

Eudora, my mail program, also knows how to talk to the nameserver.  Eudora
you get from ux1.cso.uiuc.edu, in the mac/eudora subdirectory.

(Yes, ux1 and uxc are two different machines, not typos, and the "1" is NOT
a lower-case "L", it's a one.)
Internet: s-dorner@uiuc.edu  UUCP: uunet!uiucuxc!uiuc.edu!s-dorner