[comp.protocols.appletalk] Nodem SCSI-EtherTalk

d5alfre@dtek.chalmers.se (Bengt Alfredsson) (09/23/90)

 	Please help me ...

	I have tried Telnet 2.3 and Telnet 2.3 MacTCP with
	a Adaptec Nodem, but the Telnet MacTCP will not work.

	Can I use MacTCP 1.0  with a SCSI-Ethernet box
	like Adaptec's Nodem ?

	I plan to use some Nodem's to build a EtherTalk net.

	Can I use Adaptec's Nodem for AppleShare on a
	EtherTalk net ?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      Bengt Alfredsson         |  |        |               Computer
                            ___|  |    __  |/       Science and Engineering
  Mail:                    |   | -+-  |__| |\  Chalmers University of Technology
  d5alfre@dtek.chalmers.se |___|  |__ |__  | \ 412 80 Gothenburg, Sweden
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

resnick@cogsci.uiuc.edu (Pete Resnick) (09/23/90)

d5alfre@dtek.chalmers.se (Bengt Alfredsson) writes:

>	Can I use MacTCP 1.0  with a SCSI-Ethernet box
>	like Adaptec's Nodem ?

As I remember, 1.0 had trouble with SCSI Ethernet devices. Get 1.01

pr
--
Pete Resnick             (...so what is a mojo, and why would one be rising?)
Graduate assistant - Philosophy Department, Gregory Hall, UIUC

USERGIF@MTSG.UBC.CA (09/24/90)

I tested the NODEM product and was not impressed.  It had a poorly designed
case that would come apart in your hands just from the pressure of unplugging
a tight ethernet cable.  (It snapped together rather than being held firmly
with screws).

Also, its performance on a Mac Plus was terrible.  This may not be the fault
of the NODEM, but I was getting only about 4K/second with Telnet or MacIP
downloads as opposed to about 15K/second with a 3Com Ethernet board equipped
Mac SE.

If you could get a NODEM for only a couple of hundred bucks, I might be
willing to live with the poor performance, but they cost far more than
that.

kdb@macaw.intercon.com (Kurt Baumann) (09/25/90)

To answer the original question, yes you need to get 1.0.1 MacTCP.  The earlier
version had problems dealing with SCSI net devices.

In article <2446594@mtsg.ubc.ca>, USERGIF@MTSG.UBC.CA writes:
> I tested the NODEM product and was not impressed.  It had a poorly designed
> case that would come apart in your hands just from the pressure of unplugging
> a tight ethernet cable.  (It snapped together rather than being held firmly
> with screws).

Hmm, man of steel there.  I tried to open one of these so that I could fix
a heat problem that I was having.  It did everything but come apart easily.
I had to resort to using a screw driver to pop it open, that worked just
fine.

> Also, its performance on a Mac Plus was terrible.  This may not be the fault
> of the NODEM, but I was getting only about 4K/second with Telnet or MacIP
> downloads as opposed to about 15K/second with a 3Com Ethernet board equipped
> Mac SE.

I think you hit the nub of the problem.  Any SCSI net device that I had seen
has been slooow.  And obviously the internal SE board is going to be faster
because it doesn't have silly SCSI to deal with.

> If you could get a NODEM for only a couple of hundred bucks, I might be
> willing to live with the poor performance, but they cost far more than
> that.

The only thing that bothers me with this statement is that out of ALL of
the SCSI net devices I have used this one is the ONLY one that worked the
first time I installed it.  All of the others have had problems which have
lead me to call the manufacturer, and get help (ROM upgrades, Software changes,
new boxes, etc.).  Given this fact I would rather pay the "extra" up front
and get something that worked the first time.

Now some of the problems I experienced with other units have most likely
been fixed now, but it is something to be aware of when looking at these
devices.

--
Kurt Baumann                       InterCon Systems Corporation
703.709.9890                      Creators of fine TCP/IP products