[comp.protocols.appletalk] AppleTalk Phase 2 and FastPath Manager II?

morgan@JESSICA.STANFORD.EDU (07/24/90)

As a followup to my previous message about how easy it is to use Phase
2 with a FastPath, here's a fairly major problem I've observed.  On
every machine I've tried, including a Mac II, IIx, and SE/30, if the
Mac is Ethernet-attached and using AppleTalk Phase 2 and I run the
FastPath Manager II, the Mac freezes when the box containing the names
of the local FastPaths appears.  If I switch the Mac to Phase 1,
everything works fine.  The relevant version numbers are System 6.0.4
and 6.0.5, FastPath Manager II 5.1, and EtherTalk 2.0.1 (6/29/89).
Has anyone else seen this?  Is there anything to do besides wait for
the next version of FPM?

 - RL "Bob" Morgan
   Networking Systems
   Stanford

tjh+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU (Tom Holodnik) (07/24/90)

> Excerpts from internet.info-appletalk: 23-Jul-90 AppleTalk Phase 2 and
> FastP.. morgan@jessica.stanford. (698)

>  On
> every machine I've tried, including a Mac II, IIx, and SE/30, if the
> Mac is Ethernet-attached and using AppleTalk Phase 2 and I run the
> FastPath Manager II, the Mac freezes when the box containing the names
> of the local FastPaths appears.

[You probably figured this out, already, Bob... but this is what I
understand of the problem.]

I've noticed this as well.  FastPath Manager doesn't use DDP longs on
EtherTalk (like most applications). It uses DDP shorts with type "K"
(0x4B, I think). In _Inside AppleTalk_, the authors discouraged the use
of DDP short-headers on EtherTalk, but Kinetics/Excelan/Novell and FPM
predated that standard (I think).
	 Since DDP short-header packets are removed from EtherTalk Phase 2
(there's no support for them in the AppleTalk driver, I suppose), it
wasn't suprising to me that FPM didn't work.  Getting it to work would
require a lot of work, both on the gateway and on FPM, from what I
understand.

Hope this helps a bit,
-tom

winders@aux.support.apple.com (Scott Winders) (07/25/90)

In AppleTalk Phase 2, the short-form DDP header is not "outlawed". The
short-form DDP header is, and will continue to be, a valid DDP header
format.

The extended-form DDP header must be used on all AppleTalk Phase 2
extended networks. Examples of AppleTalk Phase 2 extended networks include
EtherTalk 2.x and TokenTalk 2.0.

The only time the short-form DDP header can be used is on non-extended
networks such as LocalTalk or EtherTalk 1.x. On a non-extended network,
the short-form DDP header can be used for packets whose source and
destination nodes have the same network number. The Link Access Protocol
(LAP) header for LocalTalk and EtherTalk 1.0 packets contain the source
and destination node IDs. Because of this, the source and destination
network numbers and node IDs in the extended-form DDP packet are redundant
when the packets source and destination nodes have the same network number.

Short-form DDP headers are used solely for efficiency reasons; in fact, an
implementation of DDP is permitted to send extended-header DDP packets
even when the source and destination nodes are on the same AppleTalk Phase
1 or non-extended AppleTalk Phase 2 network. For example, the AppleTalk
Internet Router uses extended-form DDP headers exclusively, even on
non-extended networks such as EtherTalk 1.x.

Scott Winders
internet: winders@aux.support.apple.com
AppleLink: winders.s@applelink.apple.com

morgan@JESSICA.STANFORD.EDU (RL "Bob" Morgan) (07/25/90)

As a followup to my previous problem report:

> As a followup to my previous message about how easy it is to use Phase
> 2 with a FastPath, here's a fairly major problem I've observed.  On
> every machine I've tried, including a Mac II, IIx, and SE/30, if the
> Mac is Ethernet-attached and using AppleTalk Phase 2 and I run the
> FastPath Manager II, the Mac freezes when the box containing the names
> of the local FastPaths appears.  If I switch the Mac to Phase 1,
> everything works fine.

The nice folks at Shiva technical support told me that there's a new version
of the FastPath Manager that fixes the problem.  They're mailing it to me
on disk.  I thanked them and told them how pleasant it would be to have such
things distributed over the net.  Perhaps other people making the same
comment would encourage them to make this happen.  They're at tech@shiva.com,
or (617) 864-8100.  Their salespeople, by the way, are apparently standing by
at sales@shiva.com.

Oh yes, I have no connection with Shiva other than hoping that they'll make
enough money to buy me lunch as often as Novell used to 8^)*.

 - RL "Bob" Morgan
   Networking Systems
   Stanford

-------

ianh@bhpmrl.oz.au (Ian Hoyle) (07/25/90)

morgan@JESSICA.STANFORD.EDU writes:

>As a followup to my previous message about how easy it is to use Phase
>2 with a FastPath, here's a fairly major problem I've observed.  On
>every machine I've tried, including a Mac II, IIx, and SE/30, if the
>Mac is Ethernet-attached and using AppleTalk Phase 2 and I run the
>FastPath Manager II, the Mac freezes when the box containing the names
>of the local FastPaths appears.  If I switch the Mac to Phase 1,
>everything works fine.  The relevant version numbers are System 6.0.4
>and 6.0.5, FastPath Manager II 5.1, and EtherTalk 2.0.1 (6/29/89).
>Has anyone else seen this?

Sure have :-(  It's a real pain having to switch to phase I for configuring
the Fastpath using the Manager and *then* going back to phase II.

		ian
--
                Ian Hoyle
     /\/\       Image Processing & Data Analysis Group

jmg@cernvax.UUCP (mike gerard) (08/10/90)

In article <MacMS.18471.25089.morgan@jessica.stanford.edu> morgan@JESSICA.STANFORD.EDU (RL "Bob" Morgan) writes:

>The nice folks at Shiva technical support told me that there's a new version
>of the FastPath Manager that fixes the problem.  They're mailing it to me
>on disk.  I thanked them and told them how pleasant it would be to have such
>things distributed over the net.  Perhaps other people making the same
>comment would encourage them to make this happen.  They're at tech@shiva.com,
>or (617) 864-8100.  Their salespeople, by the way, are apparently standing by
>at sales@shiva.com.

I would love to encourage them, so I rushed off a message (in a plain
brown email envelope: idiotic comment but at least it makes my answer
long enough) to tech@shiva.com. I profited from the occasion to ask
a question or two at the same time. Result: a deafening silence.

Have I discovered an email black hole?

Have you, Bob, been receiving special treatment?

Is the atlantic an uncrossable barrier?
--
 _ _  o |            __                    |    jmg@cernvax.uucp

bschmidt@bnr.ca (Ben Schmidt) (08/11/90)

In article <2167@cernvax.UUCP> jmg@cernvax.UUCP (mike gerard) writes:
> >In article <MacMS.18471.25089.morgan@jessica.stanford.edu>
morgan@JESSICA.
> >STANFORD.EDU (RL "Bob" Morgan) writes:
> >The nice folks at Shiva technical support told me that there's a new
version
> >of the FastPath Manager that fixes the problem.  They're mailing it to
me
> >on disk.  I thanked them and told them how pleasant it would be to have
such
> >things distributed over the net.  Perhaps other people making the same
> >comment would encourage them to make this happen.  They're at
tech@shiva.com,
> >or (617) 864-8100.  Their salespeople, by the way, are apparently
standing by
> >at sales@shiva.com.
>
> I would love to encourage them, so I rushed off a message (in a plain
> brown email envelope: idiotic comment but at least it makes my answer
> long enough) to tech@shiva.com. I profited from the occasion to ask
> a question or two at the same time. Result: a deafening silence.
>
> Have I discovered an email black hole?
>
> Have you, Bob, been receiving special treatment?
>
> Is the atlantic an uncrossable barrier?

I too was inspired by Bob's posting to immediately drop Shiva an e-mail at
tech@shiva.com, encouraging them to post updates, if not on an Internet
accessible FTP server, at least on AppleLink as Novell did (that's where I
got FastPath Mgr 5.1.3 - from the Novell folder).  We followed it up with a 2nd e-mail asking a question.

We also have not received a response.

Ben Schmidt              Bell-Northern Research, Ltd.    Ph: (613) 763-3906
Information Technology     P.O. Box 3511, Station C      FAX:(613) 763-3283
bschmidt@bnr.ca          Ottawa Ontario Canada K1Y 4H7

haase@meevax.meediv.lanl.gov (HAASE_PETER_K) (08/21/90)

In article <1990Aug10.181415.4487@bnrgate.bnr.ca>, bschmidt@bnr.ca
(Ben Schmidt) writes...>
>> Have you, Bob, been receiving special treatment?
>>
>> Is the atlantic an uncrossable barrier?
>
>I too was inspired by Bob's posting to immediately drop Shiva an e-mail at
>tech@shiva.com, encouraging them to post updates, if not on an Internet
>accessible FTP server, at least on AppleLink as Novell did (that's where I
>got FastPath Mgr 5.1.3 - from the Novell folder).  We followed it up with a
>2nd e-mail asking a question.

>We also have not received a response.

Don't hold your breath......The support for the Fastpath went down the
Tubes since Shiva took it over. And don't expect them to do us all a
favor and put updates on a server. I just forked out $85.00 for the
new version of Fastpath Manager. In the meantime after I upgraded
I cannot route IP through the Fastpath anymore but I can route
Appletalk Packets. I called them numerous times and sent E-mail and
even told them what error messages I got in the Error Log and they
still can't figure it out. All they do is tell you to try this and
that which is all nonsensical baloney.........Then they say " We are
checking with or engineers and we will get back with you.....so in
the meantime I am waiting....waiting.......waiting......waiting....
.......Yawn.......did I get a call from Shiva?........waiting......
waiting...........Do I have any E-mail from Shiva?.....waiting........
waiting...waiting.....................................................
..................................(_) Bit bucket black hole..........
Knock Knock......Is there anyone home?

      Peter K. Haase				haase@meediv.lanl.gov
			(505) 667-2684
                Los Alamos National Laboratory (LANL)

Adrian_Ruigrok@bcarmqm1 (Adrian C. Ruigrok) (08/22/90)

>> (various valid complaints about Shiva deleted...)

Lets be fair.  These guys in the trenches did not decide to take on the FastPaths.
 I would bet they are none too happy about it, in fact.  When I talked to
them they seemed to be trying.  It will take them some time to ramp up.
But I have heard a few good things about Shiva.  Though some say their support
is for the birds, others swear by it.

They have plans to put up an anonymous FTP site (or so I was told) and fill
it with goodies.  However, on top of all this mess with FPs they are moving
down the road so everything is in a shambles.  Added to the fact that EVERYONE
seems to have gone to MacWorld, the support is further paralysed.

Keep trying, they will learn.  Yes, I may be wrong but I am willing to give
them a chance.  Kenetics were not always angels either!

Adrian

--------------------------------------
Adrian C Ruigrok
Bell-Northern Research
aruigrok@bnr.ca--

an12280@mdaali.cancer.utexas.edu (David Gutierrez) (08/24/90)

In article <1990Aug22.122614.29874@bnrgate.bnr.ca> Adrian_Ruigrok@bcarmqm1
(Adrian C. Ruigrok) writes:
> Lets be fair.  These guys in the trenches did not decide to take on the
FastPaths.
>  I would bet they are none too happy about it, in fact.  When I talked to
> them they seemed to be trying.  It will take them some time to ramp up.
> But I have heard a few good things about Shiva.  Though some say their
support
> is for the birds, others swear by it.

Although I might not go so far as to swear by it, I do feel that I should
speak up in Shiva's behalf.

We were recently hit by the FastPath power supply harness problem. After
several calls, I was finally able to get in touch with someone who was
able to diagnose the problem immediately, since it was an easy one. They
gave me a number to call for an outfit (Federal Technology Corp.) that was
supposed to handle their servicing. When I called FTC, I got a recording
asking for my number and a brief description of the problem so that they
could call me back. They still haven't called; it's been two weeks.

I didn't wait two weeks to get back in touch with Shiva. When I
complained, I was forwarded to the tech support manager. After a week of
delays while they waited for parts and tried to set up procedures for
hardware repair, they finally offered to "loan" me a FastPath while mine
was being fixed. "Loan" means they offered to ship it to me on a net 30
purchase plan; I was to ship it back when my FastPath was fixed.

The repair cost will be billed to Novell, since they sold me the FastPath.
It does make me wonder if Shiva is planning to charge customers for
repairs on newer units, though.

Although it took a week and a half to regain our Ethernet access, I think
that Shiva will be able to handle this kind of problem more quickly in the
future. They kept me up to date on their progress toward figuring out how
to handle these problems and tried to get us back in operation as quickly
as possible. I don't know what would have happened if I'd had a software
problem, but I'm satisfied with the support I got from Shiva.

David Gutierrez
an12280@mdaali.cancer.utexas.edu

"Only fools are positive." - Moe Howard

phil@Shiva.COM (Phil Budne) (09/25/90)

(RL "Bob" Morgan) writes:

    Subject: AppleTalk Phase 2 and FastPath Manager II?

    The nice folks at Shiva technical support told me that there's a
    new version of the FastPath Manager that fixes the problem.
    They're mailing it to me on disk.  I thanked them and told them
    how pleasant it would be to have such things distributed over the
    net.

The Manager RL "Bob" refers to is 5.1.4 it is available for anonymous
ftp from Shiva.COM and by request from Shiva Tech Support.  I hope to
have it available on AppleLink soon.  To recoup, FastPath Manager runs
on EtherTalk Phase 2 Macs.

% ls -l ~ftp/dist/FastPath/Manager/5.1.4
total 793
-rw-r--r--  1 phil       212604 Sep  4 18:15 5.1.4.hqx
-rw-r--r--  1 phil       133981 Sep  4 18:16 5.1.4.hqx.Z
-rw-r--r--  1 phil       109952 Aug 13 18:00 Archive.sit.Bin
-rw-r--r--  1 phil       161671 Sep  4 18:17 Archive.sit.hqx
-rw-r--r--  1 phil       131721 Aug 13 17:53 Archive.sit.hqx.Z
-rw-r--r--  1 phil          340 Sep 24 22:12 README

I have also started an archive of interesting and useful files in
~ftp/dist/unsupported;

brahma% ls -l ~ftp/dist/unsupported/
total 249
-rw-rw-r--  1 phil           79 Aug 29 15:58 00README
-rw-rw-r--  1 phil         9846 Aug 27 18:19 AA_Protocol.txt
drwxrwxr-x  2 phil          512 Aug 30 18:25 FP3-prom/
drwxrwsr-x  4 phil          512 Sep 21 19:14 KIP/
drwxrwxr-x  2 phil          512 Aug 30 18:29 Kboot/
-rw-rw-r--  1 phil           86 Aug 29 16:03 Notes
drwxrwsr-x  4 phil          512 Aug 30 18:30 SNMP/
drwxrwsr-x  4 phil          512 Sep  4 12:03 bootp/
-rw-rw-r--  1 phil       222142 Aug 29 16:02 netnews-reader.hqx

RL Bob's article was followed up by ones from Mike Gerard, Ben
Schmidt, Peter K. Haase, and David Gutierrez who related their
experiences with mail to tech@Shiva.COM.  While I cannot speak for
Tech Support, it now appears that they check their Internet mail at
least once daily.  If you do not get a responce in a reasonable period
please contact me.

An introduction; I came to Shiva to be the software manager and lead
engineer for the FastPath, K-Star and future TCP/IP product
development. My previous job was at Boston University where I was a Sr
Programmer in the Distributed Systems Group for 5 years maintaining,
adapting and developing systems and networking software for Un*x and
TOPS-20 (some of you may remember me as the author of the aufs/lwsrv
printer access control modifications to CAP).  I have been a FastPath
user since 1986.

I have not spoken up before now because (as you can well imagine) I
have had more than enough to keep me busy without addressing issues
raised on the 'net, never mind raising ones of my own!

Shiva has recently hired a Marketing Product Manager for the FastPath
and I am presently hiring several engineers.  We are investigating
several h/w upgrades for the FP-4 as well as a replacement for the
current hardware.  Shiva is involved in the IETF in several areas.

In short, we are intent on maintaining and developing the FastPath as
well creating new networking TCP/IP and Un*x related networking
products.

I have set up an address "fastpath@Shiva.COM" for your comments and
feature requests.

	-Phil