[comp.protocols.appletalk] kinetics-phonenet-kinetics

capuano@SUN.CNUCE.CNR.IT ("Vincenzo G. Capuano") (09/26/90)

Hi,
we have two buildings at about half a mile away each other. We would like
to connect the two ethernets, using two kinetics and phonenet between them.
In this way we could reach 230kbps between the two ethernets.
The configuration should be:

   |  +--------+                        +--------+  |
   |--|Kinetics|----PhoneNet Cabling----|Kinetics|--|
   |  +--------+                        +--------+  |
Building 1                                        Building 2
Ethernet                                          Ethernet

Is this reasonable ?
What should be the configuration of the two Kinetics ? I know that it is
possible to route IP packets. Is it also possible to get DECNET packets
through in some way ?

Thanks,
Vincenzo.
---------
capuano@sun.cnuce.cnr.it

kdb@macaw.intercon.com (Kurt Baumann) (09/26/90)

In article <9009251038.AA01530@sun.cnuce.cnr.it>, capuano@SUN.CNUCE.CNR.IT
("Vincenzo G. Capuano") writes:
> Hi,
> we have two buildings at about half a mile away each other. We would like
> to connect the two ethernets, using two kinetics and phonenet between them.
> In this way we could reach 230kbps between the two ethernets.

The problem that you will run into is there is an absolute length of the
PhoneNet cabling.  You would need to talk to Farallon about this though.

Kurt
--
Kurt Baumann                       InterCon Systems Corporation
703.709.9890                      Creators of fine TCP/IP products

evelyn@uts.amdahl.com (Evelyn Mast) (09/27/90)

In article <9009251038.AA01530@sun.cnuce.cnr.it> capuano@SUN.CNUCE.CNR.IT ("Vincenzo G. Capuano") writes:
>Hi,
>we have two buildings at about half a mile away each other. We would like
>to connect the two ethernets, using two kinetics and phonenet between them.
>In this way we could reach 230kbps between the two ethernets.
>The configuration should be:
>
>   |                                                |
>   |  +--------+                        +--------+  |
>   |--|Kinetics|----PhoneNet Cabling----|Kinetics|--|
>   |  +--------+                        +--------+  |
>   |                                                |
>Building 1                                        Building 2
>Ethernet                                          Ethernet
>
>Is this reasonable ?
>What should be the configuration of the two Kinetics ? I know that it is
>possible to route IP packets. Is it also possible to get DECNET packets
>through in some way ?
>
>Thanks,
>Vincenzo.
>---------
>capuano@sun.cnuce.cnr.it

Why do this?  Why not run ethernet thru the phone cable.  You can
do that as far as I know.  Ethernet is faster than appletalk.

Evelyn

jeffw@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Jeffrey H. West) (09/27/90)

In article <2700029E.3D37@intercon.com> kdb@macaw.intercon.com (Kurt Baumann) writes:
>In article <9009251038.AA01530@sun.cnuce.cnr.it>, capuano@SUN.CNUCE.CNR.IT
>("Vincenzo G. Capuano") writes:
>> Hi,
>> we have two buildings at about half a mile away each other. We would like
>> to connect the two ethernets, using two kinetics and phonenet between them.
>> In this way we could reach 230kbps between the two ethernets.
>

>The problem that you will run into is there is an absolute length of the
>PhoneNet cabling.  You would need to talk to Farallon about this though.

The length is certainly a consideration!

There are several ways that your objective can be achieved.  However, without
knowing more information about your network the best suggestion that I can
make is that you look at the line of Shiva products.  I have used the Shiva
TeleBridge (two actually) to connect networks between two cities (only one
FastPath, however).  The distance between telebridges counts as virtually
nothing when going through a high speed data line (ex. T1) and it probably
will be the same effect with modems over normal data line (in lieu of a T1).

Shiva will be able to answer that one for sure.

#           Jeffrey H. West                   #
#     email: jeffw@ddsw1.MCS.COM              #

tom@wcc.oz (Tom Evans) (09/28/90)

In article <2700029E.3D37@intercon.com>, kdb@macaw.intercon.com (Kurt Baumann) writes:
> In article <9009251038.AA01530@sun.cnuce.cnr.it>, capuano@SUN.CNUCE.CNR.IT
> ("Vincenzo G. Capuano") writes:
> > Hi,
> > we have two buildings at about half a mile away each other. We would like
> > to connect the two ethernets, using two kinetics and phonenet between them.
> > In this way we could reach 230kbps between the two ethernets.
>

> The problem that you will run into is there is an absolute length of the
> PhoneNet cabling.  You would need to talk to Farallon about this though.

PhoneNet quotes 4000' max. Should be fine. It would be worth getting
someone to put a CRO (scope) on to the line to check out what the
signal looks like. Can the FP route live IP packets (not just
IP-in-AppleTalk) through LocalTalk, like from a Unix machine on one
Ethernet to a Unix machine on the other? What is the set-up that
allows this?

========================
Tom Evans  tom@wcc.oz.au
Webster Computer Corp P/L, 1270 Ferntree Gully Rd Scoresby, Melbourne 3179
Victoria, Australia 61-3-764-1100  FAX ...764-1179

alexis@panix.uucp (Alexis Rosen) (10/02/90)

In article <b4wy029HcccB01@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com> evelyn@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com (Evelyn Mast) writes:
>In article <9009251038.AA01530@sun.cnuce.cnr.it> capuano@SUN.CNUCE.CNR.IT ("Vincenzo G. Capuano") writes:
>>Hi,
>>we have two buildings at about half a mile away each other. We would like
>>to connect the two ethernets, using two kinetics and phonenet between them.
>>In this way we could reach 230kbps between the two ethernets.
>>[etc.]
>Why do this?  Why not run ethernet thru the phone cable.  You can
>do that as far as I know.  Ethernet is faster than appletalk.
>
>Evelyn

With UTP Ethernet, you can do about 100 meters. 110 if you're lucky. On the
other hand, AppleTalk PhoneNet is rated at 3000 feet (~1000 meters) and can
actually go to 4000 feet without problems, especially if you use 22 gauge
wire.

110 meters < .5 miles.  3000 feet > .5 miles.

(BTW, I never really had enough appreciation for PhoneNet until I started
doing UTP EtherNet. 10BaseT is wonderful, but the flexibility of PhoneNet
after you've been dealing with UTP for a week is just amazing.)

---
Alexis Rosen
{cmcl2,apple}!panix!alexis
alexis@panix.uucp