[comp.protocols.appletalk] Setdefaulttimeout lwsrv problem...

inei@cs.glasgow.ac.uk (Nick Nei) (10/04/90)

Sometime ago, I read that some people had setdefaulttimeouts
problem with lwsrv to LaserWriter II NTXs.  The log file reports:

	%%[ Error: invalidaccess; OffendingCommand: setdefaulttimeouts ]%%
	%%[ Flushing: rest of job (to end-of-file) will be ignored ]%%

It never happened to me so I mostly ignored the solutions.  Now it has
happened to me!  Can someone tell me how to beat these *@#! printers
into submission!

Mail:	Nick Nei, Computing Science Dept.,
	Glasgow Univ., 17 Lilybank Gardens,
      	Glasgow G12 8QQ, UK.  Tel: (041) 339 8855 x 5457
ARPA:	inei%cs.glasgow.ac.uk@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk USENET: inei@cs.glasgow.uucp

edmoy@violet.berkeley.edu (10/05/90)

In article <22763.9010041317@hawaii.cs.glasgow.ac.uk> inei@cs.glasgow.ac.uk (Nick Nei) writes:

>Sometime ago, I read that some people had setdefaulttimeouts
>problem with lwsrv to LaserWriter II NTXs.  The log file reports:
>
>	%%[ Error: invalidaccess; OffendingCommand: setdefaulttimeouts ]%%
>	%%[ Flushing: rest of job (to end-of-file) will be ignored ]%%
>
>It never happened to me so I mostly ignored the solutions.  Now it has
>happened to me!  Can someone tell me how to beat these *@#! printers
>into submission!
>
>Mail:	Nick Nei, Computing Science Dept.,
>	Glasgow Univ., 17 Lilybank Gardens,
>      	Glasgow G12 8QQ, UK.  Tel: (041) 339 8855 x 5457
>ARPA:	inei%cs.glasgow.ac.uk@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk USENET: inei@cs.glasgow.uucp

Yes, this is because if the timeouts aren't set to the values the LaserPrep
expects, it tries to set them.  This requires doing an exitserver and knowing
the correct printer password (default is zero).

What you should do is get a copy of the programs I wrote, macps and prepfix
(available via anonymous ftp from sumem-aim.stanford.edu, in the
info-mac/unix directory under macps-22.shar).  prepfix takes a Command-K
produced PostScript file and edits it so that it works with macps and lwsrv,
editing out offensive lines.

macps, by the way, takes a Command-F generated PostScript file and appends
the appropriate modified LaserPrep file and allow you to lpr it to a
PostScript printer.

Edward Moy				Principal Programmer - Macintosh & Unix
Workstation Support Services		Workstation Software Support Group
University of California
Berkeley, CA  94720

edmoy@violet.Berkeley.EDU
ucbvax!violet!edmoy