[comp.protocols.appletalk] Guest user in CAP Aufs

resnick@cogsci.uiuc.edu (Pete Resnick) (10/06/90)

I tried to set up the guest user in CAP's Aufs with no luck. There
must be something I am doing wrong.

I figured the best way to do this was to make the guest id "nobody"
and make a system-wide volume that was in my home directory (this
may be the problem). So I created a file called .pubafpvols in my
home directory which contained the line:

~resnick/PublicMacFiles:Public Disk

Then I changed start-cap-servers to read:

/usr/local/lib/cap/aufs -V ~resnick/.pubafpvols -G nobody

When the Appleshare dialog comes up, I get the choice of registered
user or guest. When I choose guest, the "choose your disk" box pops
up, but there is nothing in the list of volumes. What's the matter
here? Even when I log in as myself (I have a .afpvols in my home
directory which has "~resnick/MyMacFiles:Pete's Disk" in it), there is
no system volume.

Thanks,
pr
--
Pete Resnick             (...so what is a mojo, and why would one be rising?)
Graduate assistant - Philosophy Department, Gregory Hall, UIUC

edmoy@violet.berkeley.edu (10/09/90)

In article <1990Oct5.180436.27653@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> resnick@cogsci.uiuc.edu (Pete Resnick) writes:

>~resnick/PublicMacFiles:Public Disk
>
>Then I changed start-cap-servers to read:
>
>/usr/local/lib/cap/aufs -V ~resnick/.pubafpvols -G nobody
>
>When the Appleshare dialog comes up, I get the choice of registered
>user or guest. When I choose guest, the "choose your disk" box pops
>up, but there is nothing in the list of volumes. What's the matter
>here?

The tilde escape isn't being converted by aufs in the .pubafpvols file.  Put
in the full pathname and it should work.

Edward Moy				Principal Programmer - Macintosh & Unix
Workstation Support Services		Workstation Software Support Group
University of California
Berkeley, CA  94720

edmoy@violet.Berkeley.EDU
ucbvax!violet!edmoy