[comp.protocols.appletalk] binhex v. uuencode enclosures

minich@d.cs.okstate.edu (Robert Minich) (10/06/90)

  Pardon my arrogance, but why not support both uuencode AND binhex? I am not
familiar with the method of enclosure, but surely it's not THAT hard. It's
nice to have uuencode to talk to non-Mac people on the net (the vast majority)
as well as the Rest Of Us (tm). For instance, say I wanted to mail a colleague
a nice GIF from my Mac to his ???. Just send it as uuencode and he can do
something with it even if ??? is a Mac since his software supports both
flavors. So really... how hard _is_ it to support the uuencoded enclosures?

--
|_    /| | Robert Minich            |
|\'o.O'  | Oklahoma State University| A fanatic is one who sticks to

dorner@pequod.cso.uiuc.edu (Steve Dorner) (10/08/90)

In article <1990Oct6.074537.14443@d.cs.okstate.edu> minich@d.cs.okstate.edu (Robert Minich) writes:

>  Pardon my arrogance

Ok; you've always seemed like a nice guy otherwise.  :-)

>but why not support both uuencode AND binhex?

First: until a few weeks ago, I had no idea that there was a need for this
conversion.  It is hard to support file formats you didn't even know
existed, and even I have SOME lead time...

>I am not familiar with the method of enclosure,

There you hit on the second reason.  I'm not familiar, either, and I can't
decode files in unknown formats.  Uuencode I can figure out, but until John
Norstad said "AppleSingle", I had no idea how things were packed within
the file.  Both people who requested that Eudora handle this format
were unable to tell me anything beyond "uuencode".

There is only so far I will go to repair somebody else's mistakes.  Tracking
down file formats from my "competitors" is a bit too far, given the other
things I have to do, and the budget on which I have to do them.

Third: the BinHex intro line "\n(This file must be converted with BinHex...)" is awfully explicit.  Uuencode says: "\nbegin 644 name of file".
This is a royal pain in the rear end, since it's hardly inconceivable that
such a line might show up in the body of a message, and have *NOTHING* to do
with uuencode.  The more "guessing" in my program, the less happy I am;
guessing costs performance, space, and reliability.

>Just send it as uuencode and he can do
>something with it even if ??? is a Mac since his software supports both
>flavors. So really... how hard _is_ it to support the uuencoded enclosures?

And how hard is it for the other platform to decode BinHex?  If the other
platform is UNIX, the answer is, "not hard".  I dunno about the benighted
who use IBM-PC type thingies; maybe they have uudecode, but do they
know AppleSingle?  I suspect not.  Can they write code to handle it?
Probably, but then they could have ported UNIX xbin, too.  I don't buy this
one; if Eudora gets uuencode, it will be to communicate with Quickmail,
not MS-DOS.

Now that I know the magic word (AppleSingle), I will consider putting uuencode
support in Eudora, though it won't be my top priority.

(PS-Anybody know where AppleSingle is documented?  Email would do fine...)
Internet: s-dorner@uiuc.edu  UUCP: uunet!uiucuxc!uiuc.edu!s-dorner

strauss@Aero.Org (Daryll Strauss) (10/09/90)

In article <1990Oct8.165609.24787@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>, dorner@pequod.cso.uiuc.edu (Steve Dorner) writes:

|> There you hit on the second reason.  I'm not familiar, either, and I can't
|> decode files in unknown formats.  Uuencode I can figure out, but until John
|> Norstad said "AppleSingle", I had no idea how things were packed within
|> the file.  Both people who requested that Eudora handle this format
|> were unable to tell me anything beyond "uuencode".
|>
|> There is only so far I will go to repair somebody else's mistakes.  Tracking
|> down file formats from my "competitors" is a bit too far, given the other
|> things I have to do, and the budget on which I have to do them.
|>
|> Third: the BinHex intro line "\n(This file must be converted with BinHex...)" is awfully explicit.  Uuencode says: "\nbegin 644 name of file".
|> This is a royal pain in the rear end, since it's hardly inconceivable that
|> such a line might show up in the body of a message, and have *NOTHING* to do
|> with uuencode.  The more "guessing" in my program, the less happy I am;
|> guessing costs performance, space, and reliability.
|>
|> >Just send it as uuencode and he can do
|> >something with it even if ??? is a Mac since his software supports both
|> >flavors. So really... how hard _is_ it to support the uuencoded enclosures?
|>
|> And how hard is it for the other platform to decode BinHex?  If the other
|> platform is UNIX, the answer is, "not hard".  I dunno about the benighted
|> who use IBM-PC type thingies; maybe they have uudecode, but do they
|> know AppleSingle?  I suspect not.  Can they write code to handle it?
|> Probably, but then they could have ported UNIX xbin, too.  I don't buy this
|> one; if Eudora gets uuencode, it will be to communicate with Quickmail,
|> not MS-DOS.
|>
|> Now that I know the magic word (AppleSingle), I will consider putting uuencode
|> support in Eudora, though it won't be my top priority.
|>
|> (PS-Anybody know where AppleSingle is documented?  Email would do fine...)
|> --
|> Steve Dorner, U of Illinois Computing Services Office
|> Internet: s-dorner@uiuc.edu  UUCP: uunet!uiucuxc!uiuc.edu!s-dorner

That really isn't a fair description of the situation. We are using
GatorMail-Q and every message with an enclosure includes this line in
the header:
So, there is documentation as to what the format is for enclosed
message. In fact, the Content-Type header is documented in RFC-1049 and
RFC-1154 so it isn't like they made this up out of the blew. The rfc
indicates that any atom on the right-hand-size of a Content-Type is a
"private atom", so they just created their own atom to indicate the type
of encoding used in the enclosure.

The Gatorbox software includes some C code and manual page that converts
between apple-double and apple-single format, so most folks with
Gatorboxes should have that.

I can't argue about what the "best" format for enclosing documents, but
it seems that Cayman/StarNine did a reasonable job with their enclosure.

							- |Daryll

Daryll Strauss          			f	The Aerospace Corp.
strauss@aero.org		      		n	Mail Stop: M1-102
...!uunet!aero.org!strauss			o	P.O. Box 92957
                                                r       Los Angeles, Ca. 90009
I don't work for Cayman/StarNine. This is FYI. 	d	(213) 336-9358