[comp.protocols.appletalk] NTP client for the Mac?

morgan@JESSICA.STANFORD.EDU (10/09/90)

Has anyone heard of a (MacTCP-based, presumably) Network Time Protocol
client for the Mac?

 - RL "Bob" Morgan
   Networking Systems
   Stanford

gtw@plato.arts.su.OZ.AU (Gilbert Taylor-Wood) (10/09/90)

In <9010082134.AA01620@jessica.stanford.edu> morgan@JESSICA.STANFORD.EDU writes:

>Has anyone heard of a (MacTCP-based, presumably) Network Time Protocol
>client for the Mac?

This is not quite what what was asked for but it provides similar
functionality and with less network traffic.

There is an init for the mac called "tardis" which queries a "timelord"
over appletalk to get the correct time. This happens each restart or
manually from the choser.
The timelord server can be either another mac or a UNIX host, I used a
UNIX host running NTP as a timeserver.

tardis and timelord was written by David Hornsby at Melbourne University.

the whole lot can be FTP'd  from munnari.OZ.AU 128.250.1.21 in the
directory multigate

regards
  Gilbert

----
Gilbert Taylor-Wood                          gtw@extro.ucc.su.OZ.AU
Faculty of Arts Programmer
The University of Sydney
NSW 2006                                     Ph (02) 692 4713
--
----

resnick@cogsci.uiuc.edu (Pete Resnick) (10/09/90)

morgan@JESSICA.STANFORD.EDU writes:

>Has anyone heard of a (MacTCP-based, presumably) Network Time Protocol
>client for the Mac?

I am working on a cdev that I will (in 2-3 days) call 'alpha-test'
quality. It only implements UDP Time, not the official NTP. The math
was too deep for me, so I just do a UDP Time request with a user
controlablle time-out. It will also handle daylight savings time
(partially implemented now) and will operate in the background at
specified intervals if you really want (not yet implemented). Otherwise
it sets it at startup or when you tell it to in the cdev.

Write if you want it.

pr

--
Pete Resnick             (...so what is a mojo, and why would one be rising?)
Graduate assistant - Philosophy Department, Gregory Hall, UIUC