[comp.protocols.appletalk] Summary: Ethernet-AppleTalk routing via PCroute

royce@scor_az.resp-sci.arizona.edu (Royce Robbins) (10/13/90)

   Some time ago I posted an article asking for help setting up PCroute with
a LocalTalk card.  I wanted to bridge three networks through PCRoute,
providing telnet access from the Macs to the Sun4 and the rest of the world,
and get access to the LaserWriter from the Sun4.

            PC        PC  PC   PC       PC
             |         |   |    |        |
  T-----+----+---------+---+----+---+----+----T (Thinwire Ethernet)
        |                           |
      +-+--+                     +--+----+
      +Sun4+    +-------------+  | a PC  |
      +----+    |Apple Laser  |  |running+------->"The World"
                |Writer II NTX|  |PCRoute|
                +------+------+  +----+--+
                       |              |
      +----------+-----+-----+--------+--+ (LocalTalk)
      |          |           |           |
    Mac SE   Mac SE/30    Mac IIx     Apple IIgs

   A number of people wrote back, and I was able to get it running.  The
only real problem I actually had, was that I was trying to use the same
network number for both the LocalTalk network and the local Ethernetwork.
Once I got a new number for the LocalTalk network, everything worked fine.

   In summary, it is simple to provide telnet (client) and ftp (client and
server) service to Macs on LocalTalk in this manner.  You need the following:

      A PC running PCroute configured for LocalTalk and Ethernet including:
        PCroute software
        An AppleTalk PC or TOPS FlashCard (or clone?)
        9-pin LocalTalk connector
        A WD8003E ethernet adapter
      A different network number for the LocalTalk and Ethernet segments
      An IP address for each Mac
      MacTCP
      NCSA Telnet, MacTCP version (the non-MacTCP version will NOT work)

   Takes about an hour to set up, and total cost is less than 1/4 that of
a GatorBox, FastPath or Webster(?) Multigate.  So far, I've had no trouble
with the setup.

   As julian.byrne@monash.edu.au wrote:
>   "... To save you some heartache here are some things
>which we found were necessary to get it to work properly.
>
>1. Mac NCSA Telnet WITHOUT MacTCP does not work with the PC router. I can send
>   you the details if you like but it basically boils down to a request
>   which the PC router can't handle. Vance helped me to solve this one.
>2. Mac NCSA Telnet WITH MacTCP works BUT there is a bug.
>   If for ANY reason a connection fails to open (ie. times out) then it will
>   continue to fail no matter what you do on the Mac until you
>   either reboot the PC router or you attempt to open a connection using
>   Telnet and immediately force a close on the Mac before it has a chance
>   to timeout.  We find we have to do this connection reset every week or so.
                       [I haven't yet seen this behaviour]
>3. Make sure you have a piece of software called "Responder" in your
>   Mac system folder if you're are using dynamic IP assignment.
                    [dunno, haven't tried this, gave everybody an IP address]

>Once this is done it works fine - multiple sessions no problem and
>coexistence with Novell netware fine. It's a little slower than I would
>like but that is probably due to an overloaded localtalk.
                    [I get 19K/sec ftp, so I'm happy]

>Further points:
>
>- On our setup all interface flags are set to "4".
>- We're happily using the PC Apple localtalk card on an 8MHz XT.

   As far as getting the Sun4 to print to the LaserWriter on LocalTalk,
I can't do that, yet.

   sson@remus.ee.byu.edu wrote:
>One possible solution to your printing problem is a PAP bridge.
>This is done by hooking a Mac to your serial port on your Sun.
   [...diagram deleted...]
>There are couple different PAP bridge software packages on
>sumex-aim.stanford.edu (36.44.0.6). One of them is called janus.hqx
                                    [I couldn't find them, anybody?]
>but I don't remember what the other one was called. The big
>disadvantage to this approach is you must dedicate a Mac to be the
>bridge. However, you may get away with an old Mac plus or by just
>running the software everytime you want to print.
>
>This would also allow you to print to your Laser Writer from your
>PCs by using the NSCA telnet software and setting up your Sun as a
>remote spooler.

   A couple of people suggested connecting a Mac to the Ethernet and running
Infosphere's Liason as the router, as shmuli@shum.huji.ac.il wrote:

>   What I have done is install CAP with UAB on a Sun 3/60 which effectively
>teaches the Sun to send EtherTalk packets (i.e. AppleTalk over Ethernet) so
>that you don't need a gateway.  I'm using Liaison as a router to join the Sun
>and Mac II on Ethernet with a LocalTalk segment joining the Mac II, a
>LaserWriter and Mac IIcx.  The Sun can print to the LocalTalked LaserWriter
>and the Macs can print to a NEC SilentWriter connected to the Sun or use the
>AUFS server.

   Finally, if you've got any SPARCstations or Sun IPCs with a free S-BUS
slot, you could solve all your problems with this from ZPACVOLK@DB0TUI6.BITNET,

>SLIC -the SBus/LocalTalk Interface Card- joines the world of Apple
>peripherals with SUN workstations. SLIC is a SBUS card for the
>SPARCstation 1 and uses 1 SBus slot. Using the standard LocalTalk tap
>boxes, you have direct access to Macintoshes, Laserwriters etc. Even
>the SUN Laserwriter can support LocalTalk simply by reconfiguring the
>printer.
	[...]
>SLIC comes with complete software support to use Laserwriters as
>postcript or ASCII printers in your UNIX-network, a terminal emulation
>and a printer-spooler program for the Macs. [...]
>
>So, in a brief - SLIC lets you
>+ use your Laserwriter with your SPARCstation
>+ use Macintosh as a network-[vt320]terminal for your workstation
>+ spool printfiles from your Macintosh
>
>The SLIC software supports
>+ printing of postscript files on postscript printers with lpr
>+ printing of ASCII files on postscript printers
>+ terminal emulation for Apple Macintosh
>+ routing between LocalTalk and EtherTalk networks
>
>SLIC is a joint development of HELIOS Software GmbH and PAC Technology
>GmbH of germany. With the addition of Helios Ethershare software (not
>included in the package) you can use the SPARCstation as a AFP
>fileserver, printserver, spooler, adminserver and Appletalk router.
>
>Price is US$ 1690,- plus s&h.
>
>+ Volker Behrendt           # volker@pac.uucp,
>++ PAC Technology GmbH       # volker%pac.UUCP%TUB.BITNET@mitvma.mit.edu
>+++ Kurfuerstenstr. 112       # mcvax!unido!tub!pac!volker
>++++ D-1000 Berlin 30          # Tel.: +49 30 213 92 81
>+++++ Germany                   # Fax: +49 30 213 91 55

SOURCES:
PCroute 2.1   acns.nwu.edu
CAP/UAB & KIP rutgers.rutgers.edu
NCSA Telnet v2.3.2 (MacTCP with BYU extensions)
              ftp.ncsa.uiuc.edu

and commercially:
MacTCP        Apple
Infosphere    Liason

   Hope all this is of help to somebody.  I'd be happy to relate my experience
to anyone who wants it.
   Thanks to those named above and:
 jpq@laue.ms.nwu.edu
 andrew@lexsun.law.uts.edu.au
 EROSSER@EAGLE.WESLEYAN.EDU
 lindahl@evax.arl.utexas.edu
 VTHRC@uqvax.cc.uq.edu.au
 face@arizona.edu
 morrison@cs.uiuc.edu  in particular.

						--Royce Robbins
Royce Robbins                         INTERNET: royce@resp-sci.arizona.edu
Div Resp Sciences                          FAX: (602) 626-4884
UofArizona                               PHONE: (602) 626-5022