[comp.protocols.appletalk] NFS problems with AOS 4.3

dyer@spdcc.COM (Steve Dyer) (10/14/90)

I saw this about a year ago when a DECStation 3100 was an NFS client
of an RT running AOS 4.3 10/88.  Now, I've got a Cayman GatorBox trying
to use the same RT as an NFS server and the same error appears:

xdr_bytes: bad size FAILED

This appeared on the DS3100 only with large files being manipulated
thru the server.  Similarly, on the Mac, large file copies on the Mac
fail because of this.  I haven't yet found just how large the files
have to be to cause this to fail.  Trivial size files (<3K) seem to
work OK, whereas 700K files fail.

Has anyone investigated, more fully characterized and fixed this
problem on the RT?

--
Steve Dyer
dyer@ursa-major.spdcc.com aka {ima,harvard,rayssd,linus,m2c}!spdcc!dyer

In article <4456@spdcc.SPDCC.COM> dyer@ursa-major.spdcc.com (Steve Dyer) writes:
>I saw this about a year ago when a DECStation 3100 was an NFS client
>of an RT running AOS 4.3 10/88.  Now, I've got a Cayman GatorBox trying
>to use the same RT as an NFS server and the same error appears:
>
>xdr_bytes: bad size FAILED

NFS_MAXDATA was 4096 instead of 8192 in the AOS 4.3 Dec 88 kernel.
Any NFS client talking to an RT server using a wsize greater than
4096 would eventually hit this problem.

End of mystery, and an easy solution.