[comp.protocols.appletalk] Dayna EtherPrint Evaluation

davef@FANTASIA.STANFORD.EDU (David Finkelstein) (10/10/90)

Dayna Communications Corp. (with whom I am unaffiliated, except as a
purchaser of their products) makes a box called EtherPrint.
EtherPrint allows you to directly connect a LaserWriter (or
ImageWriter) directly to the Ethernet.  We've been using one for a
while now, and we can't even tell it's there.  Once it's been set up,
operation is completely transparent.  We've had no problems
whatsoever with it.

Set up is pretty simple.  You have to choose between the AUI and thin
Ethernet connectors, and select AppleTalk Phase 1 or Phase 2
protocols (EtherPrint supports either, but not both at the same
time).  Connect EtherPrint to your LaserWriter, and you're ready to
go.  I tested printing from Macs and Unix boxes running papif, and
had no problems.  I couldn't discern any speedup in printing, but the
printing bottleneck is the laserwriter itself anyway.

EtherPrint supports only AppleTalk protocols.  So if you want to
print to it, you have to speak AppleTalk on the Ethernet.

The retail cost is $500, or $400 to universities.  Dayna is
supposedly working on a version of EtherPrint that supports multiple
LaserWriters, but I don't know when they expect to ship or how much
the product will cost.

For those of you interested, you can contact Dayna at:

Dayna Communications Corp.
50 S. Main St.
Salt Lake City, Utah 84144
(801) 531-0600

We bought direct; as I recall, they're selling discounted to
universities direct only.

David Finkelstein
Academic Information Resources
Stanford University
davef@fantasia.stanford.edu

naftoli@alsys1.aecom.yu.edu (Robert N. Berlinger) (10/15/90)

In article <9010101631.AA08205@fantasia> davef@FANTASIA.STANFORD.EDU (David Finkelstein) writes:

>select AppleTalk Phase 1 or Phase 2
>protocols (EtherPrint supports either, but not both at the same
>time).

One thing to add -- although the EtherPrint supports AppleTalk Phase II,
there's no provision for specifying which zone the printer should reside
in on an extended network.  It always resides in the default zone.
On big networks this is annoying.

But a great product anyway.
--
Robert N. Berlinger                 |Domain: naftoli@aecom.yu.edu
Manager of Networking and Systems   |UUCP: ...uunet!alsys1!naftoli