[comp.protocols.appletalk] MacTCP and NCSA Telnet

sci213v@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au (mr p freeman) (10/16/90)

Hi!
I have a question regarding MacTCP and NCSA Telnet. I have a network of
LocalTalk Macs, one of which has a scsi/ethernet box and is running Apple
Internet router.On the same ethernet as the scsi/ethernet mac is a multigate
with the EtherTalk interface configured to decode Ethertalk packets into
IP packets.

When I use NCSA Telnet on one of my other LocalTalk machines (non MacTCP)
version, I can telent to a Unix host on the ethernet no worries - the
multigate dynamically allocates an IP number for the LocalTalk Mac.

HOWEVER, when I use the MacTCP version (1.0.1) of NCSA Telnet (2.3 or 2.4)
I can't get a telnet session going! I have configured MacTCP with the correct
LocalTalk zone for the Multigate (same as non MacTCP version) and have entered
the correct IP address for the multigate.  I have also set the class type (B)
and the subnet mask.
ie.
	multigate allocates addresses from 130.194.224.241-130.194.224.248
	in the network field I have 33474 (130.194) and 224 in the subnet
	field. The node field is empty
	I have selected dynamically from the assign sectio and inserted 		241-248 as the node range.
	Subnet mask = 255.255.255.0

Any ideas why the nonMacTCP version works and the MacTCP version doesn't??
By the way, I am using system6.0.4 and finder 6.1.4 (international versions)

Any ideas/comments would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Paul
Email:	sci213v@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au

cmclark@terminator.cc.umich.edu (Charles Clark) (10/16/90)

In article <1990Oct15.224235.14372@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au> sci213v@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au (mr  p    freeman) writes:
>HOWEVER, when I use the MacTCP version (1.0.1) of NCSA Telnet (2.3 or 2.4)
>I can't get a telnet session going!
>	I have selected dynamically from the assign sectio and inserted 		241-248 as the node range.

From the assign section you should use "Server", not dynamic.

cmc	<cmclark@terminator.cc.umich.edu>

bellamy@covax.commerce.uq.oz.au (10/16/90)

In article <1990Oct15.224235.14372@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au>, sci213v@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au (mr  p    freeman) writes:

> Hi!
> I have a question regarding MacTCP and NCSA Telnet. I have a network of
> LocalTalk Macs, one of which has a scsi/ethernet box and is running Apple
> Internet router.On the same ethernet as the scsi/ethernet mac is a multigate
> with the EtherTalk interface configured to decode Ethertalk packets into
> IP packets.
>
> When I use NCSA Telnet on one of my other LocalTalk machines (non MacTCP)
> version, I can telent to a Unix host on the ethernet no worries - the
> multigate dynamically allocates an IP number for the LocalTalk Mac.
>
> HOWEVER, when I use the MacTCP version (1.0.1) of NCSA Telnet (2.3 or 2.4)
> I can't get a telnet session going! I have configured MacTCP with the correct
> LocalTalk zone for the Multigate (same as non MacTCP version) and have entered
> the correct IP address for the multigate.  I have also set the class type (B)
> and the subnet mask.
> ie.

[IP address stuff deleted]

Your are making it a lot harder than it is.  All you need to do is select
the zone (as you have done) and select SERVER, not dynamic.  The other
settings i.e. net class, subnet address etc are meaningless - the MultiGate
knows all these.

If you are still having problems, try e-mailing me or the MultiGate list.

Cheers.
--
David E. Bellamy        Email: bellamy@covax.commerce.uq.oz.au
Dept. Commerce, University of Queensland, St. Lucia, AUSTRALIA