[comp.protocols.appletalk] TCP/IP

MUCM000@BOGECNVE.BITNET (10/04/90)

a few questions on tcp/ip:

1)  For macs on a localtalk, there are only two possibilities for accessing
an IP network:

  a)  A router that will take IP packerts from another network
  (like an ethernet) and ship them over to the localtalk in IP
  format.  Does this include the fastpath?  Ethergate?  GatorBox?
  MultiGate?  Ungermann-Bass?  Anyone else?

  b) A bridge that will encapsulate IP packets into AppleTalk packets
  and ship them over to the Localtalk network.

Is this right?  What are the advantages/disadvantages of each
of these methods?  I believe that pure IP formatted packets
wouldn't get across any appletalk routers in the localtalk since
it's only looking for appletalk packets, correct?  Also,
Encapsulated IP packets, though they would solve the appletalk
router problem, would need to be treated differently at the Macs
since telnet software is looking for IP packets, not
encapsulated packets.  is this right?  Does anyone know what
software will do this?  Is it just a special driver at the Mac, or
does it require completely different telnet software? Is this MacTCP?

2)  A completly unreleated question to the above:  Can AUX broadcast
IP packets out it's localtalk port, or only through a real network card?
If it does, are they pure IP or are they encapsulated?  A friend of mine
just got AUX up and I was wanted to login to it from my Mac over localtalk
using telnet.  Is this possible with only localtalk?

Thanks,

Fred Seaton
Academic Computing
Western Illinois University
mucm000@bogecnve.bitnet

csr@ubvax.UB.Com (Chris Ranch) (10/06/90)

Fred, You wrote:
>  a)  A router that will take IP packerts from another network
>  (like an ethernet) and ship them over to the localtalk in IP
>  format.  Does this include the fastpath?  Ethergate?  GatorBox?
>  MultiGate?  Ungermann-Bass?  Anyone else?
>  b) A bridge that will encapsulate IP packets into AppleTalk packets
>  and ship them over to the Localtalk network.
>Is this right?

	Basically.  Any IP packets that are on LocalTalk are in reality
	encapsulated in DDP (AppleTalk Network Layer).  The terms used
	to describe this encapsulation process as IP in Appletalk forwarding
	agents.  Thus, a) and b) are really the same, however b) stating
	the use of bridges (ddp net# is the same on both sides) is a misnomer.

>What are the advantages/disadvantages of each
>of these methods?

	AppleTalk encapsulation of IP is the only known way to ship IP
	packets over LocalTalk.  IP packets will not traverse AT routers
	unless they are encapsulated in AT.

>Also,
>Encapsulated IP packets, though they would solve the appletalk
>router problem, would need to be treated differently at the Macs
>since telnet software is looking for IP packets, not
>encapsulated packets.  is this right?  Does anyone know what
>software will do this?

	You are right.  NCSA Telnet and MacTCP applications do precisely this.
	Ungermann-Bass MaxTalk performs the IP forwarding agent process.

>2)  A completly unreleated question to the above:  Can AUX broadcast...

	I don't know the answer to this one.

>Thanks,
>Fred Seaton
>Western Illinois University

Regards, and call if you have more questions.
--
Chris Ranch
Ungermann-Bass, Inc.

tom@wcc.oz (Tom Evans) (10/10/90)

In article <5A0A0406200600BE-MTABOGECNVE*MUCM000@BOGECNVE>, MUCM000@BOGECNVE.BITNET writes:
> a few questions on tcp/ip:
>
> 1)  For macs on a localtalk, there are only two possibilities for accessing
> an IP network:
>
>   a)  A router that will take IP packerts from another network
>   (like an ethernet) and ship them over to the localtalk in IP format.
> I believe that pure IP formatted packets
> wouldn't get across any appletalk routers in the localtalk since
> it's only looking for appletalk packets, correct?

Correct. It is not done this way.

>   b) A bridge that will encapsulate IP packets into AppleTalk packets
>   and ship them over to the Localtalk network.

Correct, but "bridge" isn't the correct term. My favourite name for
the protocol involved is "MacIP", and the devices that do it as
"MacIP Gateways". There are more complexities than just the
encap/decap too.

Because Macs move around, it isn't "safe" to hard-configure an IP
address into them. The MacIP gateways advertise themselves as an
"IPGATEWAY" on NBP. The Macs, either running MacTCP-based or
standalone (like NCSA Telnet) applications first find the IPGATEWAY
and ask it for an IP address. The MacIP gateway supplies one that is
appropriate to that network/port/whatever. When the Mac is told to
connect to IP host "a.b.c.d" it then looks for "a.b.c.d:IPADDRESS",
which the gateway then proxies for. Note we're trying to change this -
the Mac should send it straight to the gateway. The IP packet is sent
in a DDP packet to the responding device (gateway) which then forwards
it to the IP host. For packets from the IP host to the Mac the same
encapsulation is used.

> Also,
> Encapsulated IP packets, though they would solve the appletalk
> router problem, would need to be treated differently at the Macs
> since telnet software is looking for IP packets, not
> encapsulated packets.  is this right?

No. If you run NCSA Telnet Classic, you manually configure it to
connect to "AppleTalk" or "Ethernet". If you run the MacTCP version,
then it is MacTCP's problem - you configure MacTCP for the appropriate
interface, and if it is LocalTalk then it does the search/encap/decap.

> A friend of mine
> just got AUX up and I was wanted to login to it from my Mac over localtalk
> using telnet.  Is this possible with only localtalk?

You need one of the MacIP gateways you mentioned, or log into it
serially.
========================
Tom Evans  tom@wcc.oz.au
Webster Computer Corp P/L, 1270 Ferntree Gully Rd Scoresby, Melbourne 3179
Victoria, Australia 61-3-764-1100  FAX ...764-1179

wcc@cup.portal.com
2109 O'Toole Avenue, Suite J SAN JOSE CA 95131 - 1303 CALIFORNIA
1-408-954-8054  FAX 1-408-954-1832

Unit 7, Weltech Centre Ridgeway, Welwyn Garden City Herfordshire AL7 2AA
LONDON UK. Ph  44-707-336969  Mobile 44-836-725849  FAX 44-707-373378

jim@jagmac2.gsfc.nasa.gov (Jim Jagielski) (10/16/90)

Sorry to rehash this, but my NewsServer doesn't archive c.p.a. nor
do I have access to it a lot, so.........

Could someone please E-mail me a list of software packages that allow a
MacII with Ethernet connection hardware to "talk" TCP/IP. (Name, vendor
and price, please... thanks!)

I'm looking mainly for ftp and telnet capability.
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
                                 =:^)
           Jim Jagielski                    NASA/GSFC, Code 711.1
     jim@jagmac2.gsfc.nasa.gov               Greenbelt, MD 20771

"Kilimanjaro is a pretty tricky climb. Most of it's up, until you reach
 the very, very top, and then it tends to slope away rather sharply."