[comp.protocols.appletalk] Async with Kboxes?

shige@idaten.c.u-tokyo.ac.jp (Shigeya Tanabe) (10/15/90)

I copied "Async" package from munnari.oz.au. The author Djh says this
Async only works in conjunction with a Multigate.
Won't it work with Kboxes? I'm using kboxes and unfortunately I have
no idea about Multigate. I just tried with Kboxes. Type Async was
registered on the Unix box I logged in. But no other zones were seen
from Async zone and no other zones found Async zone.

Has anyone had any experience with Async? Maybe I should ask it via
usenet before send a mail directly to Djh@munnari.
Thanks.

- Shige

Shigeya Tanabe / Univ of Tokyo / Shige@idaten.c.u-tokyo.ac.jp

kre@cs.mu.OZ.AU (Robert Elz) (10/17/90)

In article <SHIGE.90Oct15205746@idaten.c.u-tokyo.ac.jp>, shige@idaten.c.u-tokyo.ac.jp (Shigeya Tanabe) writes:

> I copied "Async" package from munnari.oz.au. The author Djh says this
> Async only works in conjunction with a Multigate.
> Won't it work with Kboxes?

Not at the minute, nor with gatorboxes ... the async stuff needs
a new type of routing (a new line type in atalkatab) that simply isn't
understood by anything other than multigates (consider it a product
feature if you like).

If the people at Shiva, or Cayman want the half dozen lines of code
that are needed to go in their products, they're welcome to them
(send me mail ...)

Alternatively if you are willing to run KIP instead of KSTAR, I
think you can get a version of KIP with the correct support from
djh (Davis Hornsby).  Ask djh@munnari.oz.au (but be aware that he's
away until next week).

> Maybe I should ask it via
> usenet before send a mail directly to Djh@munnari.

It probably would have made more sense to do it the other way around...

kre