[comp.protocols.appletalk] Mac Access to TCP/IP

jay@axiom.maths.uq.oz.au (Joseph Young) (10/12/90)

I'm faced with the following configuration:

          +-----+                                                +-----+
          ! Mac !                                                ! IBM !
          +--+--+                                                ! PCs !
             !                +--------+                         +--+--+
   Novell Trunk - LocalTalk   ! Novell !  Novell Trunk - Ethernet   !
-------------+----------------+ File   +----------+-----------------+--->
                              ! Server !          !
                              +--------+          !
                             (NetWare 2.15)    +--+---+
                                               !Bridge!(Brand: Wellfleet)
                                               !Router!
                                               +--+---+
                     Ethernet to remote hosts     !  (TCP/IP)
           ---------------------------------------+-----------------------

Question: How can I get the Macintoshes on the Novell LocalTalk trunk talking
          to the remote hosts on the Ethernet running TCP/IP. The type of
          services I'm interested in are Telnet, FTP and mail.

Any help would be greatly appreciated .. I'm fairly new at this type of thing.

Joe Young

jay@axiom.maths.uq.oz.au

hamish@waikato.ac.nz (10/15/90)

In article <691@axiom.maths.uq.oz>, jay@axiom.maths.uq.oz.au (Joseph Young) writes:
> I'm faced with the following configuration:
>
>           +-----+                                                +-----+
>           ! Mac !                                                ! IBM !
>           +--+--+                                                ! PCs !
>              !                +--------+                         +--+--+
>    Novell Trunk - LocalTalk   ! Novell !  Novell Trunk - Ethernet   !
> -------------+----------------+ File   +----------+-----------------+--->
>                               ! Server !          !
>                               +--------+          !
>                              (NetWare 2.15)    +--+---+
>                                                !Bridge!(Brand: Wellfleet)
>                                                !Router!
>                                                +--+---+
>                      Ethernet to remote hosts     !  (TCP/IP)
>            ---------------------------------------+-----------------------
>
> Question: How can I get the Macintoshes on the Novell LocalTalk trunk talking
>           to the remote hosts on the Ethernet running TCP/IP. The type of
>           services I'm interested in are Telnet, FTP and mail.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated .. I'm fairly new at this type of thing.
>
> Joe Young
>
> jay@axiom.maths.uq.oz.au

I've seen several solutions, but all the ones I have seen are a hardware box
that translates ethernet into Appletalk. Products are such things as Fastpath
and GatorBox? We use Fastpaths here, (not sure whether thats a brand or model).

|  Hamish Marson                        |  Internet  hamish@waikato.ac.nz    |
|  Computer Support Person              |  Phone  (071)562889 xt 8181        |
|  Computer Science Department          |  Amiga 3000 for ME!                |
|  University of Waikato                |                                    |
|Disclaimer:  Anything said in this message is the personal opinion of the   |
|             finger hitting the keyboard & doesn't represent my employers   |
|             opinion in any way. (ie we probably don't agree)               |

bschmidt@bnr.ca (Ben Schmidt) (10/15/90)

In article <1968.2719b242@waikato.ac.nz> hamish@waikato.ac.nz writes:
> In article <691@axiom.maths.uq.oz>, jay@axiom.maths.uq.oz.au (Joseph Young) writes:
> > I'm faced with the following configuration:
> >
> >           +-----+                                                +-----+
> >           ! Mac !                                                ! IBM !
> >           +--+--+                                                ! PCs !
> >              !                +--------+                         +--+--+
> >    Novell Trunk - LocalTalk   ! Novell !  Novell Trunk - Ethernet   !
> > -------------+----------------+ File   +----------+-----------------+--->
> >                               ! Server !          !
> >                               +--------+          !
> >                              (NetWare 2.15)    +--+---+
> >                                                !Bridge!(Brand: Wellfleet)
> >                                                !Router!
> >                                                +--+---+
> >                      Ethernet to remote hosts     !  (TCP/IP)
> >            ---------------------------------------+-----------------------
> >
> > Question: How can I get the Macintoshes on the Novell LocalTalk trunk talking
> >           to the remote hosts on the Ethernet running TCP/IP. The type of
> >           services I'm interested in are Telnet, FTP and mail.
> >
> > Any help would be greatly appreciated .. I'm fairly new at this type of thing.
> >
> > Joe Young
> >
> > jay@axiom.maths.uq.oz.au
>
> I've seen several solutions, but all the ones I have seen are a hardware box
> that translates ethernet into Appletalk. Products are such things as Fastpath
> and GatorBox? We use Fastpaths here, (not sure whether thats a brand or model).
>
> |  Hamish Marson                        |  Internet  hamish@waikato.ac.nz

Joe, I've never used Novell's NetWare for the Mac but I know what you
have to ask your Novell sales rep for, if that's any help.(?)

Any of the PD and most of the commercial Mac IP applications are based
on encapsulating IP into LocalTalk DDP packets.  (For a quick
description, anonymously FTP to apple.com and look in the
"/pub/apple-ip" directory for the "IP_in_AppleTalk" documents.)

Therefore if you want IP_in_Appletalk packets from these Mac IP
applications to pass thru your Netware server's LocalTalk port and
then appear as IP packets coming out of your Netware server's Ethernet
port, you'll have to ask Novell if there's a Netware module to perform
a DDP/IP gateway function.  Apple uses this "DDP/IP gateway" term to
describe any LocalTalk-to-Ethernet box which recognizes IP_in_AppleTalk
and extracts the IP and places it within a standard Ethernet version
2, type 0800 packet for other IP nodes to read.

There are lots of boxes out there that are advertised to have this
DDP/IP function: Shiva FastPath, Cayman GatorBox, Webster Multigate,
various NRC software and hardware versions, Ungermann-Bass MaxTalk, to name
but a few.  But I doubt you want to buy still more hardware. Since the
engineers and computer scientists who worked on the Novell/Kinetics
FastPath didn't transfer to Shiva, Novell certainly has the knowledge
in-house to provide a Novell DDP/IP gateway function if they don't
already provide one within netware 2.15 or an add-on module.

Ben Schmidt              Bell-Northern Research, Ltd.    Ph: (613) 763-3906
Information Technology   P.O. Box 3511, Station C        FAX:(613) 763-3283
bschmidt@bnr.ca          Ottawa Canada K1Y 4H7

dixon@pdn.paradyne.com (Tom Dixon) (10/21/90)

In article <691@axiom.maths.uq.oz> jay@axiom.maths.uq.oz.au (Joseph Young) writes:
>          +-----+                                                +-----+
>          ! Mac !                                                ! IBM !
>          +--+--+                                                ! PCs !
>             !                +--------+                         +--+--+
>   Novell Trunk - LocalTalk   ! Novell !  Novell Trunk - Ethernet   !
>-------------+----------------+ File   +----------+-----------------+--->
>                              ! Server !          !
>                              +--------+          !
>                             (NetWare 2.15)    +--+---+
>                                               !Bridge!(Brand: Wellfleet)
>                                               !Router!
>                                               +--+---+
>                     Ethernet to remote hosts     !  (TCP/IP)
>           ---------------------------------------+-----------------------
>Question: How can I get the Macintoshes on the Novell LocalTalk trunk talking
>          to the remote hosts on the Ethernet running TCP/IP. The type of
>          services I'm interested in are Telnet, FTP and mail.
>
>Joe Young

I hate to say this, but I think you may have to use another box to hook
the other network up.  I have a similar configuration, and have not
found a way to get a novell server to do tcp/ip routing yet.

You might be able to use a Cayman GatorBox to connect the LocalTalk
to one of the two ethernet, that would provide a pretty good tcp/ip
access for macs.  I don't know how it would effect the current Novell
operation, that would something to check out before spending the
money for the gatorbox.

Let me know what you come up with in the end, I'm curious.

--
Thomas M. Dixon Jr.				dixon@pdn.paradyne.com
Software Engineer				uunet!pdn!dixon