[comp.protocols.appletalk] Telnet on a PC with AppleShare/Localtalk board

nazario@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (10/24/90)

Has anyone sucessfully used Telnet in a PC with a LocalTalk board?

I have a Zenith PC (386) with a LocalTalk board and the AppleShare PC
software loaded in it.  Next, I load the localtalk packet driver from
Katie  Stevens at UCDAVIS.  My machine locks up.  If anyone has
suggestions, I'd like to hear them.

thanks
--
+---------------------------------+----------------------------------------+
| Paul Nazario                    | Bitnet:    Nazario@UKANVAX             |

kusumoto@chsun1.uchicago.edu (Bob Kusumoto) (10/25/90)

nazario@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:

>Has anyone sucessfully used Telnet in a PC with a LocalTalk board?

>I have a Zenith PC (386) with a LocalTalk board and the AppleShare PC
>software loaded in it.  Next, I load the localtalk packet driver from
>Katie  Stevens at UCDAVIS.  My machine locks up.  If anyone has
>suggestions, I'd like to hear them.

The set-up we used here at the UofC when I was working at the comp center
was that we used the stanford SU-PC/IP telnet program over localtalk without
using a packet driver.  Of course, it was really slow and we did have it
on the same localtalk zone as macs and we did have that zone connected to
a k-box, but then again, it was a while ago.

Bob
   Bob Kusumoto                               |    Find the electric messiah!
Internet:  kusumoto@chsun1.uchicago.edu       |          The AC/DC God!
Bitnet:    kusumoto@chsun1.uchicago.bitnet    | - My Life with the Thrill Kill
UUCP:  ...!{oddjob,gargoyle}!chsun1!kusumoto  |   Kult, "Kooler than Jesus"

makmur@paul.rutgers.edu (Hanz Makmur) (10/26/90)

>Has anyone sucessfully used Telnet in a PC with a LocalTalk board?

>I have a Zenith PC (386) with a LocalTalk board and the AppleShare PC
>software loaded in it.  Next, I load the localtalk packet driver from
>Katie  Stevens at UCDAVIS.  My machine locks up.  If anyone has
>suggestions, I'd like to hear them.

Yes, I have tried it ona 386/25 compatible.
I used the NCSA Telnet for PC using LocalTalk board from Apple.
It works the first try..( ofcourse you have to configure the config.tel file)
The driver was called ltalk.sys available some where in contribution
directory in NCSA.

I have also tried it on a TOPS FlashCard and this one did not work
even the note says it should work. I spent a while on this and still
get no result it hanged the PC. Any idea ?

>thanks
I hope it helps.

Hanz Makmur

PETER@YALEVM.BITNET (Peter Furmonavicius) (10/27/90)

What about FTP client services?
Using NCSA telnet for the PC, can one initiate an FTP session?
Or once one has telneted to a host, can one ftp back down to the PC?

alee@fizzle.stanford.edu (Andrew Lee) (10/27/90)

Here's my own tale of woe with using LocalTalk on a PC.  If anybody can
help out, please mail replies to alee@portia.stanford.edu, because this
machine will be down for the next week.

I have a 25 MHz 386 machine with 64K SRAM cache, a Phoenix BIOS, Trident 8800
chipset VGA card, and a DTC RLL controller.  I've been trying to use
LocalTalk boards with Stanford's SU PCIP and Wollongong's Win/TCP.  This is
what happens:

With an Apple Localtalk card, I can't seem to run at 25 MHz.  I've tried the
new drivers from Apple,
	LSL
	LTALKP
	ATALK
	COMPAT
and LTALKP can't initialize the card when my machine is at 25 MHz, and if
I switch to 25 Mhz after loading it, it soon hangs my machine so I have to
shut off the power.  So I have to run at 8 MHz, which really sucks, because
my machine can no longer handle the 1:1 interleave on the hard drive, and
takes 26 revolutions to read a track.  However, everything seems to work
fine with both SU PCIP and Win/TCP PROVIDED my machine is at 8 MHz.

I've also tried LTALK, the interrupt driven version of LTALKP, and it doesn't
work under any circumstances.  (I tried it a while ago, and don't remember
whether it hung my machine or not.)

Then I tried the old Apple driver, ATALK.EXE.  It won't initialize at 25 MHz,
but it doesn't seem to hang the machine if I switch back after it's loaded,
although I can't use the network.  At least I don't have to unload to switch
speeds.  It doesn't work with SU PCIP, and works very badly with Win/TCP:
it takes minutes to do ANYTHING, including accept a single character typed in.

Then I tried 2 TOPS Flashcards.  I've tried both the old ATALK.SYS driver,
and the new ALAP.EXE and PSTACK.EXE drivers, although not as extensively as
ATALK.SYS.  ATALK.SYS doesn't seem to care about the CPU speed; it works at
either 25 or 8 MHz under any circumstances.  However, it doesn't work when
I have HIMEM.SYS, the version that came with my Windows 3.0, loaded.  What
happens is that neither SU PCIP nor Win/TCP can initialize the card.  If I
remember correctly, when I tried the new TSR .EXE drivers, they couldn't
initialize the card under any circumstances.  Anyway, with ATALK.SYS, they
could initialize the card without HIMEM.SYS loaded.  Unfortunately, when
either SU PCIP or Win/TCP tried to find the "gateway", it couldn't.  It
seems that they couldn't contact the Kinetics box at the other end of the
wire.  There's a Farallon StarController, and 1064 plus tens of feet of
twisted pair, plus about 30 feet of modular extension cable (flat wire)
between the StarController and my machine, with nothing else attached in
between.  The people in charge of the network here said that the TOPS
cards seem to much more sensitive to cable lengths than any other
Localtalk devices.  They couldn't even get them to work at all locations
within their building.

So, I'd like some help on either:
(1) Getting drivers for the Apple card that will work at 25 MHz,
	or
(2) Getting drivers for the TOPS cards that will work with HIMEM.SYS
	AND
    finding a way to solve the problem with the TOPS cards not being able
    to find the StarController and Kinetics box.

By the way, I'm sure that my machine doesn't run its AT bus at 25 MHz!
Everything but the Apple card seems to work in it.

	Andrew Lee
	alee@portia.stanford.edu

powsner@csb1.nlm.nih.gov (Seth M Powsner) (10/27/90)

Couple misc notes--
1) Have used one of the earlier Telnet from NCSA on a Compaq III (AT running
maybe 12 Mhz) via TOPS FlashCard + ALAP + PSTACK (supplied drivers from
TOPS) via FastPath over a long (>200 feet, building telco wiring). Didn't try
FTP.

2) Have used TOPS FlashCard in Compaq 386/20 but... a) had to set /DMA=No
and b) the Compaq runs its AT bus slower than its internal bus. I think the
/DMA=no is critical to use on a 386 with memory remapping.

Hope this helps.    Seth M Powsner  powsner@nlm.nih.gov  @yalemed.bitnet