[comp.protocols.appletalk] AppleTalk on PCs

wnn@ornl.gov (Wolfgang N. Naegeli) (10/28/90)

In article <alee.657012600@fizzle.stanford.edu> alee@fizzle.stanford.edu
(Andrew Lee) writes:
> So, I'd like some help on either:
> (1) Getting drivers for the Apple card that will work at 25 MHz,
>         or
> (2) Getting drivers for the TOPS cards that will work with HIMEM.SYS
>         AND
>     finding a way to solve the problem with the TOPS cards not being able
>     to find the StarController and Kinetics box.

Andrew's story reminded me of my efforts to find a *PRACTICAL* solution
for running TOPS Network Bundle for DOS and QuickMail PC on IBM PCs and
clones.  I have been unsuccessful in these attempts.

Sure, with some imaginative tweaking, I have been able on all machines to
get QuickMail and printing to a networked LaserWriter to work under DOS.
But the real problem is the 640k barrier.   Our requirement is that
someone can read and send mail while using WordPerfect 5.1 or Freelance,
including printing of PostScript output from these programs to networked
LaserWriters.

I have experimented with Rybs' HiCard 2 Plus, HiChips AMS on 386 machines,
and QuarterDecks DesqView on 286 machines, but I haven't found a way of
expanded memory in a way that did not lead to system freeze-ups or
crashes. Of course the most challenging thing is to make it possible to
push to DOS without quitting from an application and have enough memory to
run QuickMail to read incoming messages.  Not the least of the problems seems to be that Rybs' AMS (Advanced Memory Spcifications) and TOPS' DOS-16M
extended memory manager compete and conflict.

Has anyone found a working solution to this problem?

Wolfgang N. Naegeli
Internet: wnn@ornl.gov    Bitnet: wnn@ornlstc
Phone: 615-574-6143       Fax: 615-574-6141
QuickMail (QM-QM): Wolfgang Naegeli @ 615-574-4510
Snail:  Oak Ridge National Laboratory, Oak Ridge, TN 37831-6206