[comp.protocols.appletalk] Cisco does AppleTalk Phase 2

CLAUSS1@applelink.apple.com (Clauss, Chris) (10/26/90)

Hi Folks,

    There has been a lot of talk about Cisco and its AppleTalk support here
lately so I thought this might be helpful to a few of you:

    MacWeek 10.23.90, pg. 15

    CISCO TO SUPPORT APPLETALK PHASE 2

    PRODUCTS: Cisco Systems Inc.'s family of internetworking routers.

    NEW FEATURES: All Cisco routers will incorporate support for AppleTalk
Phase 2 network-transport protocols running concurrently with the original
AppleTalk and other supported protocols at no extra charge.  AppleTalk Phase 2
routing will be supported over Cisco's Ethernet, synchronous serial, Fiber
Distributed Data Interface, token-ring and X.25 interfaces.

    PRICE:  Phase 2 support standard with any Cisco router starting in
November.  Upgrade is free to users of Cisco routers still under warranty;
others pay $500.

    ADDRESS: Cisco Systems, 1525 O'Brien Drive, Menlo Park, CA, 94025
             (415) 326-1941

jmg@cernvax.UUCP (mike gerard) (11/01/90)

In article <4398980@AppleLink.Apple.COM> CLAUSS1@applelink.apple.com (Clauss, Chris) writes:
>    NEW FEATURES: All Cisco routers will incorporate support for AppleTalk
>Phase 2 network-transport protocols running concurrently with the original
>AppleTalk and other supported protocols at no extra charge.  AppleTalk Phase 2
>routing will be supported over Cisco's Ethernet, synchronous serial, Fiber
>Distributed Data Interface, token-ring and X.25 interfaces.

Now would anyone like to tell me how the Phase 2 packets will go across
an FDDI network? It is well known that currently Apple Phase 2 does NOT
work over many standard Mac-level bridges (but it should if one uses
encapsulating techniques). Since ultimately someone is going to want to
have Apple Phase 2 protocols recognised by equipment sitting directly
on FDDI this becomes an interesting point.
--
 _ _  o |            __                    |    jmg@cernvax.uucp