[comp.protocols.appletalk] SUMMARY: Does the fx have an AppleShare problem?

saaf@joker.optics.rochester.edu (Lennart Saaf) (11/02/90)

I received several helpful answers to my question about the IIfx and
AppleShare.  Here is my original posting:

LS> From: saaf@joker.optics.rochester.edu (Lennart Saaf)
LS> Subject: Does the fx have an AppleShare problem?
LS> Date: 31 Oct 90 13:54:33
LS>
LS> Our fx has a whale of a time as an AppleShare client -- It will
LS> occasionally lock up for 30 seconds or so with the double arrow shown
LS> in the upper left corner.  The other Macs in the lab have no such
LS> trouble.
LS>
LS> Well, today I read a blurb in the current MacWorld mentioning that
LS> there is a problem using IIfx's with AppleShare due to 'excessive
LS> polling.'  Any info on this problem or known fixes/workarounds would
LS> be appreciated.
LS>
LS> Thanks,
LS> Len

The responses were of 2 types.  The first dealt with a known problem
with the Farallon Star Controller (which we use) and the fx...

> From: dbrown@apple.com (David Brown)
>
>   You don't say how your fx's are
> attached - if you are using an older Farallon StarController, you need to
> get a PROM update for the StarController - contact Farallon.  If you are
> using Apple EtherTalk boards, check the revision level of the board - I
> think Rev K is OK, but Rev L is best.  Rev J or older may cause problems.

> From: "George Sanderson - McDonnell Douglas Telecomm." <gws@tc1ps2.mdc.COM>
>
> Len
>     If you are using the Farallon PhoneNet, you might want to check
> into its fx compatibility problems, i.e. LocalTalk signals.

> From: claris!ClarisII!clay@ames.arc.nasa.gov (Clay A. Maeckel)
>
> If you are using LocalTalk and have an old Farallon StarController, the
> StarController could be the problem. There are a new set of PALs that you
> can get from Farallon that fixes the problem. The problem also occurs with
> the Apple IIgs connected to LocalTalk.

> From moyman@ecn.purdue.edu Wed Oct 31 17:01 EST 1990
>
> I don't know anything about the fx Appleshare problem, I do know that
> if your fx is connected with twisted pair through a Farralon
> Star-Controller (only the older ones...the black ones...) there is a
> definite performance problem.  You need a GAL chip upgrade to correct
> the problem...  --moya

I later found out that we are to receive the same chips from Farallon
shortly.

In the meantime there is a fix:

> From: jd@cartan.math.nd.edu (John Derwent)
>
> Hello,
> I don't really know if this is related to your problem, but here is a
> description of a cdev available from sumex which could conceivably help.
>
> #### BINHEX     cdev/iifx-serial-switch.hqx   ****

> From: bkirsch@nadc.nadc.navy.mil (B. Kirsch)
>
> I recently requested a copy of the IIfx Serial Switch CDEV.
> Thanks to those that sent me a copy.  Many others also
> requested a copy so I am posting it to the net.
>
> This CDEV puts the Mac IIfx serial port into a "Compatible" or
> "Faster" mode.  Some applications that use the printer or
> modem ports do not operate properly unless the serial ports are set
> to "Compatible".

I obtained this CDEV and now the fx runs fine with AppleShare.

Thanks to all who responded.

Len

| Len Saaf, The Institute of Optics, Univ. of Rochester, Rochester, NY |
| Internet: saaf@joker.optics.rochester.edu        Bitnet: SAAF@UOROPT |