[comp.protocols.appletalk] Networkable FAX modems

moyman@ECN.PURDUE.EDU (James M Moya) (11/01/90)

I asked the following a ways back and didn't get much response so here it
goes again.  I would appreciate *any* information on Networkable FAX modems
and associated software.  By "networkable" I mean I want to set it up in
one place (zone) and let everyone on the network be able to send and
recieve using the one FAXmodem.  Please let me know of your set-ups,
hang-ups, etc.. whether you use it along with MS Mail or QuickMail,
etc...Thankin
--moya

---
Mike Moya
Macintosh Systems and Networking
Engineering Computer Network, Purdue University
moyman@ecn.purdue.edu or pur-ee!moyman

rbrink@hubcap.clemson.edu (Rick Brink) (11/02/90)

From article <9010311908.AA08493@aquarium.ecn.purdue.edu>, by moyman@ECN.PURDUE.EDU (James M Moya):
> I asked the following a ways back and didn't get much response so here it
> goes again.  I would appreciate *any* information on Networkable FAX modems
> and associated software.  By "networkable" I mean I want to set it up in
> one place (zone) and let everyone on the network be able to send and
> recieve using the one FAXmodem.  Please let me know of your set-ups,
> hang-ups, etc.. whether you use it along with MS Mail or QuickMail,
> etc...Thankin

We bought a FlexFax Modem about 5 months ago.  Although generally pleased,
it's use has been less than trouble free.
 1) It uses BackFax to send and receive in the background under multifinder
    on the mac direct connected to it.  That is pretty standard.

 2) It is "networkable" by using MicroSoft Mail or QuickMail to send files
    to the server, which then routes the fax out.

Things we don't like:

 1) Faxes received are viewed as image files, and can only be printed from
    within the FlexFax software, or opened within a page layout program
    or graphics program.  If you want to incorporate something into a
    simple Word doc, you have to go the extra step and process the fax 1st.

 2) Although it is multifinder compatable, many applications that take
    liberties with memory usage (most Microsoft applications) often cause
    crashes and freezes when sending or receiving a fax.

 3) It is driven by inits.  Think of any good init/CDEV and it seems to
    conflict at times with BackFax, Onetimer or MailSaver init that the
    FlexFax system relies on.

 4) We don't use a mail program currently, still deciding between MSMail
    and QuickMail (Our campus is divided between the 2, and different
    factions are pulling us both ways), so we can't really shair it.  I
    don't know if the "shair" part of the system works at all.....

Conclusions:

We have a $6000 Cannon fax with a laserprinter used in another dept.  We
relied on it before we got the modem, and after 5 months, we are back to
relying on shairing the Cannon again.  It's only when something confidential
or financial is being sent, that the prime user bothers to mess with the
modem.  The $500 we spent on it would have been better spent on a conventional
desktop fax box.  I realize the pricing is better now, some FaxModems are
in the $300 range.  If I were considering it again, I would only get a fax
modem if I were also in need of a conventional modem.  And what good is a
9600 baud modem these days anyway.  Unless you are calling up another
"Person", no one supports 9600b anyway.

My complaints are not about the product we purchased, but about the way we
have been able to integrate it into our office.  I'm worry everytime a new
sys release comes out, will the inits work with the new stuff?

Buyers beware.

geo@syd.dit.CSIRO.AU (George Bray) (11/08/90)

I've used the FlexFAX as a standalone device and shared through
a QuickMail network.

At the outset I must say that the current technology is useless to receive
Fax - unless you have lots of memory, storage and screen space it's just
not worth the investment.

Sending, however, is workable.

I used the BackFAX software with the Flexfax.  It's a Chooser driver
that you print to. The QuickDraw is converted to a raster image (you
have to wait for this to happen) and then the BackFAX INIT sends it
to the faxmodem in the background.

Networking it is a little more complex.

We have a QuickMail server here, with Telecom bridges in use all day.
Originally I thought it would be nice to replace the modem on the server
with the faxmodem - no way.  The BackFAX INIT and QuickMail both want
full use of the serial port.

It says in the manual that you can run the QM Administrator in the
background on a workstation, but I found too much grunt was taken away
from my daily work and it conflicted with my other INITs.  It crashed
and burned.

A separate machine is required - I used an old MacPlus with 2.5Mb RAM and
a 20Mb disk.  It runs QuickMail Administrator and the BacFAX INIT and handles
only the FAX QuickMail gateway.

Want to send a FAX from PageMaker?  Just print the document to the
MailSender Icon in the Chooser. The document is converted and the
QuickMail addressing dialog is presented.  You can use existing
QuickMail addresses, lookup nameservers or create new adresses.  It's
regular old QuickMail.

The BackFAX software supports a cover page, which you can create
from any application.  In the above example, your fax would be
preceded by your cover page and a QuickMail Memo.

Want to fax the output of multiple applications - no sweat. Just
print to the MailSaver icon, and append to a file. (The format of
the file is GLUE so others can read it on screen with the GLUE reader).
Enclose your file in a QuickMail message.

There's a problem with multiple addresses though.  Every recipient is
listed on the QuickMail form, so your fax newsletter mailing list
looks a bit messy.

In summary:  A dedicated machine is required for network use.  It integrates
with QuickMail pretty well (using the FAXGATE software).  There is
an MSmail version too.  Dont even think about receiving fax in
production volume.  Each page is around 800K and converting it from
bitmap to display window takes 50 seconds on an 8Mb IIci.

Most Faxmodems are pretty generic - they provide 9600bps fax and
2400bps data - it's the software that matters and Solutions seem
to be ahead of the pack with BackFAX and FaxGate.  I hear too that
Abaton have some nice software.

If you're waiting for the "nice" network fax, keep waiting.  This technology
is difficult to setup and keep running and the QuickMail addressing
interface is less than friendly, especially when you add fax to it. IMHO
network fax should look just like a LaserWriter.

Postscipt fax - now there's an idea.

--
George Bray              > Earthnet:     peg:geo  Telephone:    +61-2-411-3222
Avante Systems           > AppleLink:   AUST0150  Facsimile:    +61-2-415-2212