[comp.protocols.appletalk] TCP/IP-NFS Lan for Macs/PCs/Unix Boxes - Opinions wanted

AGO@SLACVM.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU (11/02/90)

I'm currently planning a LAN for the Electronics Department
at the Stanford Linear Accelerator Center. The media is going
to be Ethernet, and the protocols will be TCP/IP and NFS.
As we have to support a vriety of machines, things start to
get hairy. The platforms to be supported in a first phase are
Macs, PCs, UNIX workstations, and Apple LaserWriters.

Now, how do you get all these bozos to talk to each other? I
suppose a lot of people had to deal with a similar problem,
so I don't want to reinvent the wheel. Although searching quite
intenseley, I wasn't able to find write-ups addressing the
different facets of the problem. As I suppose that this subject
interests a certain number of people, I describe the solutions
I'm thinking about, and would like to hear comments/suggestions/
caveats, etc. I will post a summary under comp.dcom.lans as soon
as a compilation is done. Of course, you can post your comments
also directly on the net if you think a larger amount of people
can directly take advantage of them.

   The number of machines on the net will be around 50-100, with
a majority being PCs. During the first phase, only one file server
(SparcStation) will be installed. The Macs will be running Pathway
NFS client from Wollongong, and the PCs PC-NFS (or maybe a similar
product from Wollongong or ftp software). On the Mac, TN3270 will
be used for remote mainframe logon; no product has been identified
yet on the PC side.

   Printing seems to be more of a problem. We'd like to attach the
printer(s) directly to the net, not to a server. As the interface on
the printer side is LocalTalk, a converter is needed. Moreover, the
PCs and Suns don't speak PAP (the Apple Printing Protocol), and some
of their output is non-PostScript. How to access the printer? One
solution seems to be the Cayman GatorBox running GatorPrint. With
the lpr feature of the NFS client packages, it should be possible
to access the printer(s) through the GatorBox. Only disadvantage:
LocalTalk cables have to be run to the printer(s). Another solution
seems to be to run a few software packages on the server (CAP,
Transript and UAB), but this looks much less straightforward and
prone to failure.

   Comments would be appreciated in the following areas:

- Do you see a problem with this scheme? Any better solutions?
- Has anybody used Wollongong's PathWay Client NFS for Mac? Experience?
- What about alternatives to PC-NFS? Has anybody used WIN/TCP for
  DOS, PathWay Client NFS for DOS (Wollongong), PC/TCP (ftp software),
  or similar packages?
- What about the coexistence of the packages with Windows 3.0?
- Printer access through these packages (+ GatorBox)?
- Recommendations for Ethernet cards for Mac and PC?
- Experience with the GatorBox and GatorPrint?

Well, I hope this starts some interesting discussions on the net.
I'm looking forward to hearing different opinions, so feel free
to contact me. Posting of a summary will be done as soon as
possible under comp.dcom.lans, as mentioned before.

                                    Romain C. Agostini
                              Stanford Linear Accelerator Center

Disclaimer: the views and opinions expressed in this document are
my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of SLAC or Stanford
University.

kdb@macaw.intercon.com (Kurt Baumann) (11/03/90)

In article <90305.111815AGO@SLACVM.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU>,
AGO@SLACVM.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU writes:
> - Do you see a problem with this scheme? Any better solutions?
> - Has anybody used Wollongong's PathWay Client NFS for Mac? Experience?

I think they just started shipping this product, it would be hard to get
a good idea of it until it has been out for a bit.  I would be interested
however, to hear opinions from others about this product as well.  We also
offer an NFS solution, called NFS/Share, you might want to take a look at
it as well.

> - What about alternatives to PC-NFS? Has anybody used WIN/TCP for
>   DOS, PathWay Client NFS for DOS (Wollongong), PC/TCP (ftp software),
>   or similar packages?

You ought to take a look at which one of these vendors also offers TN3270
for you PC's, and then just get the whole package from one spot, rather than
getting NFS here and the DOS emulation elsewhere.

> - What about the coexistence of the packages with Windows 3.0?

It is my understanding that most of these packages at least run under windows.
That is to say that they will run in a DOS window along with Windows 3.0.

> - Printer access through these packages (+ GatorBox)?
> - Recommendations for Ethernet cards for Mac and PC?

Asante offers about the cheapest cards, they work well.  Cayman and InterLan
offer the fastest cards on the market, they all work fine and are not too
expensive.

> - Experience with the GatorBox and GatorPrint?

The GatorBox works just fine, I don't know about GatorPrint, haven't seen
it in action and don't have a copy of it.

Hope some of this helps.--
Kurt Baumann                       InterCon Systems Corporation
703.709.9890                      Creators of fine TCP/IP products
703.709.9896 FAX               for the Macintosh.

dorner@pequod.cso.uiuc.edu (Steve Dorner) (11/06/90)

>> - Experience with the GatorBox and GatorPrint?
>The GatorBox works just fine,

I'll second that.  "Blazing speed" is not what comes to mind, but it works
and it's easy to set up and run.

>I don't know about GatorPrint

I have a beta copy.  It also works, and is easy to setup and run.  However,
there are a couple of "gotchas":

1) It doesn't do page reversal.  Our users mentioned it immediately when
we made the switch from CAP to GatorPrint.  I doubt this is something that
is even POSSIBLE for Cayman to fix.

2) You still need CAP to print to UNIX-attached printers.  GatorPrint only
works from UNIX boxes to AppleTalk printers.

Cayman support is very good.  They even can answer questions with big long
nasty phrases like "tcp maximum segment size" in them.
Internet: s-dorner@uiuc.edu  UUCP: uunet!uiucuxc!uiuc.edu!s-dorner

geo@syd.dit.CSIRO.AU (George Bray) (11/08/90)

Intercon have announced their NFS Share, software for Macs and UNIX
hosts.

--
George Bray              > Earthnet:     peg:geo  Telephone:    +61-2-411-3222
Avante Systems           > AppleLink:   AUST0150  Facsimile:    +61-2-415-2212

kdb@macaw.intercon.com (Kurt Baumann) (11/13/90)

In article <1990Nov8.140741.12029@syd.dit.CSIRO.AU>, geo@syd.dit.CSIRO.AU
(George Bray) writes:
> Intercon have announced their NFS Share, software for Macs and UNIX
> hosts.

Thanks!  But I thought that I would clear up one thing here.  We don't make
any changes to the host side of things.  So it will work with whatever NFS
software that you already have on your host, be it a IBM mainframe or a SUN
workstation.  Hope that helps.  We don't want people thinking that we wrote
something special that is required on the host side, we didn't.